Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 PM

9 posts, read 48,798 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a European who lived in the States for a year on the J-1 visa and I'd love to go back.

Question is: Does it make sense to apply for jobs while being there on a tourist visa for three months (do be able to go to personal interviews) or are the chances that any company will actually be willing to help me with the visa extremly small?
I'd be even willing to pay for the visa (I know that it's a couple of thousand dollars), but still, the company has to help with me the paperwork. Plus, how do I even mention in a letter to the company that I'm ready to pay for my own visa?

I have a Master's degree from a wellknown European university, work experience of 2 years plus internships in 4 different countries and I speak three languages fluently.

What do you think? Should I give it a shot or is it really unlikely that any company will actually hire me?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 02:32 PM

24,600 posts, read 10,921,225 times
For starters - you cannot apply or pay for visa related charges - by US law.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 48,798 times
I have a friend who did it like that. A company hired him and paid for his visa officially, but it was more like a kind of loan from the company- He paid his company back on a monthly basis. so i guess it works.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ananas88 View Post
I have a Master's degree from a wellknown European university, work experience of 2 years plus internships in 4 different countries and I speak three languages fluently.
Could you work at a museum? The Getty always asks for people with multiple European languages:

https://jobs-getty.icims.com/jobs/se...earchCategory=

Old 01-23-2014, 02:49 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
I have a friend who did it like that. A company hired him and paid for his visa officially, but it was more like a kind of loan from the company- He paid his company back on a monthly basis. so i guess it works.
Hmmm. So you're already looking for illegal methods of getting in?

Old 01-23-2014, 04:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
The major obstacle you're going to encounter is that your multi-lingual qualifications aren't enough to qualify you for a visa when there are so many US citizens who have them. Even if your working experience is in a highly specialized field, two years experience in that field is minimal.

I assume you've gone through the USCIS website (linked in the first sticky on this site) and looked at the various visas which will allow you to find employment in the US? If you've exhausted all possible options there then I'd likely confirm that your chances are minimal at best.

Even contemplating doing something strictly illegal is totally foolhardy and obtaining a visa that way leaves you in constant danger of being deported from the country.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:14 AM

24,600 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Quote:
It is illegal - so not a good thing to share on a public forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration