Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 AM

6 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, i am new in here, i think this is my first thread in this forum. So lets jump to the main topic in order you all not get bored.

I am 27 years old, and from Indonesia. I've been working in Production House to make Music Video and TV Commercial in my home country, sometimes do freelance for Wedding photography. Now i've been thinking a lot for my future that i want to continue my study in USA.

Basicaly i already live by myself, so its been tough to save money for find decent Film School, and the choose Film School in Colorado. But because the money problem, i already afford for one year study, which is we need around 2-3 years in order to graduate. So, i tried to look around for Student Loan, but unfortunately, I couldnt afford student loan if you're not Citizen or Permanent Residence USA.

Ok, here the problem come, i have my mother in USA who already Citizen of US (she's been 5 years for Citizen), so she advice me to granted me for Green Card (I-130 Petition for Alien Relative.) and because i am older than 21 and unmarried, so it will be F2B and what i read from other news, it will take an ages to get my Green Card approve in hand.

I have 2 options in my mind right now (any advice and suggestion from you will be helpful)

1. I will do all the paperwork for I-130 from my mum and apply F2B visa while i still stay in my home country and keep continue my works. And it mean i cant take F1 Student Visa while it still in processing. So, it mean i cant go for study in USA while all the paperworks still ongoing (without a clear deadline from US GOV to get my Green Card, some said could be 10 years or more)

2. Or i do a reckless way, apply school with my limited amount of money for 1 year to live, and find some job and struggling and bleeding until death to survive for next 2 years to finish my study and living cost (while i do that, i will register my paperwork I-130 and hope for the best) so i can get my green card and not going back to my home country after i graduated. I might find any jobs in order to renew my VISA (Working Visa?) so i wont return back to my home country.

I think this some of my cases that i've been thinking for a while, i hope some of you can help me. I really do want to move to USA.

Appreciate all the help from you guys. Sorry if my english is not that good, i hope you guys understand.

Thank you
Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,729,597 times
(1) seems the more logical choice. In order to qualify for a student visa you first need to be accepted at a US university and then prove that you can support yourself for the duration of your studies. Even if you graduate there's no guarantee of employment in the US and, while you're in school on a student visa, your working options are very limited. If you go to the first "sticky" on this forum and click on the USCIS website link you'll find all the information you need. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
(1) seems the more logical choice. In order to qualify for a student visa you first need to be accepted at a US university and then prove that you can support yourself for the duration of your studies. Even if you graduate there's no guarantee of employment in the US and, while you're in school on a student visa, your working options are very limited. If you go to the first "sticky" on this forum and click on the USCIS website link you'll find all the information you need. Good luck.
Hello, thanks for your fast response and reply. I already look around and study a lil bit in USCIS about how to fill in paperwork for I-130. What its bother me is, if i all the paperwork are in process and pending, can i visit my mom in USA using Tourist Visa?
And the second thought what is bother me, do i need to stay in US in some few years in orders to get Green Card easily? Because what i hear from others, i need to stay in USA to get green card. Like minimum 5 years period time.

Thank you

Old 11-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renjizuka View Post
1. ... if i all the paperwork are in process and pending, can i visit my mom in USA using Tourist Visa?
2. ... do i need to stay in US in some few years in orders to get Green Card easily? Because what i hear from others, i need to stay in USA to get green card. Like minimum 5 years period time.
1. Yes.
2. Depends on the path you take to obtain a GC - through family or through transitioning from a work visa. You can't stay in the US indefinitely on a visa - but again you'll find all that information on the USCIS website so should probably study the options there more than, "a lil bit".

Old 11-13-2014, 07:35 AM

82 posts, read 360,462 times
It sounds to me like chances of being denied a student visa are high as there will be no proof of ties to return to home country (from the little described here). Plus the financial proof requirement.

Also from what I understand, if you do get a student visa, it's already been mentioned that working options under F1 are very limited, if the student works illegally this visa violation may prevent them successfully adjusting status to green card.

I don't know where the 'stay 5 years to get a green card' comes from, I think someone is confusing that with naturalization requirements.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
1. Yes.
2. Depends on the path you take to obtain a GC - through family or through transitioning from a work visa. You can't stay in the US indefinitely on a visa - but again you'll find all that information on the USCIS website so should probably study the options there more than, "a lil bit".
Thanks again STT resident for quick response.. What I meant when in lil bit is I am still quiet new with this kind of situation so my apologies for being lack of knowledge, and I will keep try to learn about this situation. If you don't mind, which section that can relate with my problem in USCIS website? is it in Alien Petition or Student Visa or working visa? Because the area that I am trying to understand and learn is quite big, I am afraid I am gonna mislead with my current situation that I am through right now.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
T ... which section that can relate with my problem in USCIS website? is it in Alien Petition or Student Visa or working visa?
Read everything that's applicable in "Green Card Through Family" to "Student Visas". Since you're not in a position to qualify for a business sponsorship, forget about that for now.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheneum View Post
It sounds to me like chances of being denied a student visa are high as there will be no proof of ties to return to home country (from the little described here). Plus the financial proof requirement.

Also from what I understand, if you do get a student visa, it's already been mentioned that working options under F1 are very limited, if the student works illegally this visa violation may prevent them successfully adjusting status to green card.

I don't know where the 'stay 5 years to get a green card' comes from, I think someone is confusing that with naturalization requirements.
Thanks for your reply Atheneum, meant a lot to me. So I think most reasonable is I take 1st option then. So 5 years thing is just for naturalization requirement? So what is my stake if I apply I-130 from my home country? Just wait to get respond fro USA? Any requirement beside paperwork?

Thank you

Old 11-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Read everything that's applicable in "Green Card Through Family" to "Student Visas". Since you're not in a position to qualify for a business sponsorship, forget about that for now.
Will do right now.. Thanks for everything STT Resident.. Means a lot to me..

Old 11-13-2014, 01:50 PM

82 posts, read 360,462 times
Quote:
Thanks for your reply Atheneum, meant a lot to me. So I think most reasonable is I take 1st option then. So 5 years thing is just for naturalization requirement? So what is my stake if I apply I-130 from my home country? Just wait to get respond fro USA? Any requirement beside paperwork?

Thank you
You can always try applying for a student visa; I just think based on what you've said here that chances of success are not high, and it doesn't sound like you can actually afford it anyway at least not without working in violation of your stduent visa, which would be a problem for adjusting status. And that's not even taking into account the possibility the visa expires well before you get current.

You will wait a long, long time though,do something useful with your time...

Oh, and enter the DV lottery ! ( Though you just missed the DV2016 entry period). We had a petition under FB3 filed, but won DV in the meanwhile (3rd try). Got our immigrant visas july last year, as of today we would probably still be waiting another 5 years to become current....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration