Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 01:42 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times

Advertisements

Easy answer... "Access".

Many people have the same intent when they establish dual citizenship.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:43 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,086,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
So basically, if she supports Trump, the OP's theory is correct.

But I suspect the opposite is true. The OP is mad that this woman has different political views, and he interprets that as "hating America". He thinks someone attacking the idiot in the White House is an attack on the White House, when the opposite is true. He's also angry that this person is a woman and nonwhite, and therefore thinks she doesn't deserve citizenship.
Wow, talk about "assuming facts not in evidence." She and I both despise Trump. So no, her simply attacking Trump would not cause me to believe that she hates the U.S.

And I am a woman, albeit white. I am not a supporter of Trump's horrendous immigration policies, so again, you are wrong that I would think she doesn't deserve citizenship because she is a woman and nonwhite. How you could get those things out of ANYTHING I have written is beyond me.

Quote:
A. There is nothing in the U.S. citizenship process that asks "do you love or hate the U.S." There are various questions on whether you will uphold the rule of law and the Constitution, but those are very different inquiries.

B. You have offered zero evidence that this woman "hates the U.S."
<sigh> See my post above yours, which I edited when you were writing (I saw your post after my original response, so edited my response to answer you).

But go ahead and believe that somehow for some unknown reason I just came on C-D to lie about about how some co-worker of mine hates the U.S. There's no reason I would DO that, but if it makes you feel better to believe it, so be it. Have a lovely day.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 10-11-2019 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 10-11-2019, 03:42 PM

22,476 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Most Trump supporters hate the US too. Nothing we can do about it unless they get caught plotting against the country.
^^^^That's a bold faced lie---and you know it, too.

Try asking some Trump supporters before you spread lies.

Back to the topic at hand, if a native-born US citizen hates this country with a passion, s/he is free to renounce his/her citizenship and immigrate to a country of their choice, then become a citizen there.

All those on the left who swore they were moving to Canada if Trump won, most, if not all, are still here.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:50 PM

22,476 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbeagles View Post
I found some other reasons why immigrants want to become U.S. citizens;1) sponsor family for green cards, 2) the right to vote 3) run for public office 4) be eligible for federal employment or benefits, 5) not be deported, 6) benefit from U.S. tax laws, 7) become eligible for free money, 8) become a U.S. passport holder. There are many others too numerous to mention. Sorry I don’t know how to post links.
Per the bolded --- That's not necessarily true. If a naturalized citizen either commits a really heinous crime or was found to have lied on his/her citizenship application, s/he could end up with his/her citizenship stripped from them and deported.

As for 8 --- I have heard of people who want a US passport because they come from third world countries known for having many of their citizens show up in first world countries claiming they are just on a vacation. When in reality, they plan to never go back to their own country. With a passport from the US or another first world country, the worry of not going back home isn't a huge concern.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:59 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Sorry for the bizarre thread title, I am just really a bit flabbergasted by this.

I have a colleague who absolutely HATES the United States ... as in, I've known this person for more than 15 years and have NEVER heard one good word about the U.S. (and have heard a zillion words saying why it's a disgusting, horrible, racist country).

I knew she had a green card (which honestly, I thought was bad enough), but at a meeting a few weeks ago she mentioned that she had just become a U.S. CITIZEN. I was so horrified that I was literally speechless. Of course when I thought about it later, I wished I had said, "Wait a minute, all you have done for the past 15+ years is say how much you HATE this country, so how on earth did you get citizenship?"

And honestly, if I had KNOWN she was applying for U.S. citizenship, I would have protested (as if it would have made any difference). But I didn't.

How on earth does this happen?!
Simple.

American citizenship for many is not about citizenship per se. It's about getting the right paperwork. They want to travel without needing visas. They want to cash in any benefit that might come their way. Sometimes, they are even motivated to vote against Republicans. There are no emotions. You won't see tears running down their cheeks, know a word of the national anthem, or have the foggiest idea who Kate Smith is. What they are quick to learn though is the "genocide" of the American Indians and, of course, US "imperialism"

Old 10-11-2019, 04:03 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,287,522 times
Quote:

B. You have offered zero evidence that this woman "hates the U.S."
If your first instinct is to blame America first at the first sign of a conflict, you hate America. Jeff Foxworthy should start a new act. If you........., you might hate America.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:52 PM

13,661 posts, read 9,727,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
American citizenship for many is not about citizenship per se. It's about getting the right paperwork. They want to travel without needing visas. They want to cash in any benefit that might come their way. Sometimes, they are even motivated to vote against Republicans. There are no emotions. You won't see tears running down their cheeks, know a word of the national anthem, or have the foggiest idea who Kate Smith is. What they are quick to learn though is the "genocide" of the American Indians and, of course, US "imperialism"
Citizenship, whether American or Swiss or Venezuelan, is a piece of paper. It is a contract, exchanging obligations for privileges. One obligation might be military service. One privilege might be public benefits. There is no emotion, full stop. It's just a contract.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,110,882 times
I've recently realized that outside of the US; there is a 'love-hate' view of the US from people of other countries.

Their perspective is that there are two potential winners in the race for globalization; China & the U.S.

And they do not want China to win. So we are the lesser of two evils, apparently.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:33 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Simple.

Genocide of the Native people & American imperialism is a fact.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:35 PM

1,045 posts, read 760,294 times
Unfortunately, this thread had turned into the usual political mudslinging by conservatives. Such hate these people have for those who don't share their narrow minded views!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration