Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 12:52 PM

325 posts, read 787,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I understand that 25 days vacation and 36 hour working weeks are very attractive to lazy people but for people who wants to do more in live there isn't much challange in a country like that....but on the other hand risking having to move to the USA and not having a job in todays economy might be a reason why many people don't want to immigrate right now, but I know that still many people try the DV lotery to get a shot to live here!
Lazy? How about normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:42 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,304,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Lazy? How about normal?

I work to live - I don't live to work.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

I understand that 25 days vacation and 36 hour working weeks are very attractive to lazy people but for people who wants to do more in live there isn't much challange in a country like that...
I had to work my arse off at my current job for over three years to get up to 20 days vacation a year... Attractive to lazy people?? Go ahead and work yourself to the grave, some of us work to live instead of live to work. I'd probably be more motivated and relaxed at my job (and productive) with 25 days of vacation and 36 hour work weeks.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:35 PM

549 posts, read 1,666,258 times
Europeans are no longer inmigrating to the u.S. because Europe offers the best quality of life in the world.

If they want to leave Europe, Australia and Canada are the best destinations to relocate outside Europe. (Quality of life, demographics, economy, salaries, healtcare systems, standard of living etc etc)

Old 09-05-2009, 05:44 PM

549 posts, read 1,666,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

I agree with you... in my case, people in Miami live to work. (people usually have 2/3 jobs in order to cover their basic needs)

This city is just too expensive and we have no mass transit system so each Miamian spends about 500$ per month in trasportation expenses (the majority does not have medical insurance).

I have 2 family members who moved from Miami to Germany and Spain. They both love Europe (They are more relaxed, have only 1 job, lots of friends)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 AM

136 posts, read 107,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Or there just isn't any reason to immigrate? Most people immigrate out of economic necessity these days. Europe no longer has teeming massed of impoverished looking for a place to start over and make their own.

I agree with this statement. Europe's standard of living is quite high and in most areas, higher than that of the US. Especially Western Europe. If I could land a decent job in Western Europe I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post
Lazy? How about normal?

LOL, I agree. I never knew anyone on their deathbed that said they didn't spend enough time at the office. Europeans, despite claims to the contrary, have a LOT of things right.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post

Cheers to you! Same here!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:54 AM

674 posts, read 1,620,579 times
Those who desire to be lazy can be lazy, those who desire to just be an employee in a regular company and feel safe there can do so, and those who desire to be productive and entrepreneurial, can do so too.

In my book its called "freedom of choice" and not laziness.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 4,869,535 times
Whoever says that Europe's standard of living is low has never been there. Most parts of Europe are even more expensive than the U.S. And why would Europeans leave their excellent health care system and join a ( uh, how can I say this nicely ) crappy system?
I agree with the "economic necessity" statement. That's why they never had the desire to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration