Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob82 View Post
For those of you who already went through this process,can you please advise what are the chances for someone in Hungary to immigrate to US on a H1B visa?
The person I'm talking about is Hungarian, has an MBA from a Hungarian University (BA in Management), 5 years professional experience within multi-national companies (currently employed by one). Although he is trying to move to US through L1 he's also interested in the H1 path for a different company.
My friend visited the US but never worked here.
What are currently the chances for H1B and what is the best way of finding a sponsor?

Thank you,
Bob
Your friend is much better off sticking with L1, as there are no quotas or limits on how many employees a foreign employer can bring into the USA. It is totally up to the employer's discretion, unlike the H1b program which has quotas and some government oversight (at least a cursory glance now and then).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
I don't understand why somebody would want to come to the U.S. for employment right now. It's almost like boarding the Titanic as it's sinking.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 AM

24,526 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
I don't understand why somebody would want to come to the U.S. for employment right now. It's almost like boarding the Titanic as it's sinking.
There are still some very nice jobs to be had on H1B.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:25 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,062,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Check in with us once you graduate technical school and start looking for a job.

You may be surprised to find yourself overlooked and "lumped in" with the "useless American candidates" by the ones that matter: EMPLOYERS.

The real advantage H1b holders have is that they can be tricked into taking less pay and working longer hours (for no OT). That is what makes them so attractive to import.
I have two US job offers (and one foreign one) on the table right now, but I want to finish my research and stay here while my spouse finishes her MBA first. I didn't pull in my resume and stop getting headhunted just because I went back to school or because of the economy, quite on the contrary, actually.

Yes, H1B workers have little recourse against employers who underpay them and hold their GC hostage, but that's a problem with the H1B system, not the overall idea of immigration. If these workers had GC's which would allow them to freely job hunt and change employers at will, then the market wouldn't have this class of indentured servants and would be able to properly value employees. Notice that none of the big companies are calling for what's fair in order to fill their ranks, they LOVE the nonsensical immigration "controls" which give them power over skilled immigrant labor. That's why I consistently propose doing away with the archaic H1B's and simply issuing automatic GC's to engineers and similar tech degrees who graduate from an accredited school with a high enough GPA.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:05 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
There are still some very nice jobs to be had on H1B.
Yes, while the resumes of qualified Americans go into the trash, in order to keep wages down.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,792 times
Default Ref required

Hi Malone,

Greetings!

I am already in US(NJ)on a different Visa. Looking for H1B sponsorships.Could you pls provide me details about H1B sponsoring companies in NJ / NY for the year 2010?

Thanks ,

Neeraja
Email: neerajaneeraja2007@rediffmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by malone7384 View Post
If you want to DM me - I know of a couple of companies that do H1B sponsorships that my company works with - I would be happy to provide you their information and you can talk to them about the process, etc.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:05 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
I have Canadians living close to me and according to them it is very hard to get a GC with their H1B since they got denied twice due to not enough proof that no American can be doing the same job...which to me is strange since he claims to be here on a H1B...why give him that visa and not a GC?

Mayeb somthing else is going on but I can only go by their side of the story...

Old 03-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Yes, while the resumes of qualified Americans go into the trash, in order to keep wages down.
There is a little problem - a lack of qualified Americans particullarly when it come to IT. Oh yes, your cousin is in IT, your next door neighbor has been loooking for a job for a year ... I am talking about brain kids; geeks who are willing to work, know what they are doing and do not act like primadonnas. Right now I have four non-IT jobs on the table for 200k base and in 12 weeks not a qualified US candidate.
@@@sponger - GC is part of quite a few European expat contracts. The word has gotten out:>)

Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeraja View Post
Hi Malone,

Greetings!

I am already in US(NJ)on a different Visa. Looking for H1B sponsorships.Could you pls provide me details about H1B sponsoring companies in NJ / NY for the year 2010?

Thanks ,

Neeraja
Email: neerajaneeraja2007@rediffmail.com
I am sorry but you will have to do some legwork. A bit of personal initiative is part of the concept.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I have Canadians living close to me and according to them it is very hard to get a GC with their H1B since they got denied twice due to not enough proof that no American can be doing the same job...which to me is strange since he claims to be here on a H1B...why give him that visa and not a GC?

Mayeb somthing else is going on but I can only go by their side of the story...
As you said "claims". Your neighbor may be in a job category with a considerable waiting list or his employer wants to keep him on a leash. If he is good he can look for another employer and have his H1B transferred. GC and job are apples and oranges. Cocktail hour conversation is not always gospel:>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration