Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:34 AM

42 posts, read 103,996 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Macungie. My in-laws already have lived there for about 20 years. They keep harping on the fact that the area is "riddled with crime". I've never gotten that impression when I've visited. It seems safe. Could they mean Allentown (downtown)? I hope so. I think Macungie & its surrounding areas seem like a very nice place to live. Any help in clarifying this issue is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:47 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
You would be correct. Allentown and to a lesser extent Bethlehem do have crime problems. Macungie is a quiet quaint town. Macungie does have crime, but it is usually kids getting in trouble or locals drinking too much and the occasional drug bust.

I can't speak for your parents, but can tell you Allentown is a vastly different city than it was 20 years ago. Many people who were born and raised here, don't like the changes that have taken place in Allentown over the years.

Old 02-03-2011, 12:16 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. Sad to hear that it has changed that much over the past couple decades...

Old 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKidsMommy View Post
Thanks for your thoughts. Sad to hear that it has changed that much over the past couple decades...
Everything changes with time. As has often been mentioned, not too long ago Macungie was a small village surrounded by nothing but farmland. Now it is a small farm surrounded by Macungie.

ETA:
I saw your post about moving from Hershey to Macungie. We will be moving from the hell that is NEPA in a little over a year. If we don't move back home (Lehigh Valley) we will probably move to the Hershey Harrisburg area. Let me know if your house is still for sale.

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Macungie is a nice area and whomever is telling you that the area is "riddled" with crime really doesn't know what they are talking about. There is a certain element of criminal activity in Allentown, but it's confined to a very small area. I have never felt unsafe in Allentown nor Bethlehem.

One thing about Macungie, however, is that they are currently having a lot of problems within the town between the mayor and the police force. Here is a recent article from the Morning Call:

Macungie Borough controversies; Macungie controversies divide, embarrass residents - mcall.com

Your best bet is to do some online research in addition to asking questions here in order to get a true feeling about the area. Some people think that certain areas are really dangerous while others don't feel that way, so you'll get a mixed response when you ask if an area is "riddled with crime" or dangerous.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Everything changes with time. As has often been mentioned, not too long ago Macungie was a small village surrounded by nothing but farmland. Now it is a small farm surrounded by Macungie.

ETA:
I saw your post about moving from Hershey to Macungie. We will be moving from the hell that is NEPA in a little over a year. If we don't move back home (Lehigh Valley) we will probably move to the Hershey Harrisburg area. Let me know if your house is still for sale.

I've never been to NEPA before. Is it really that bad? If we do move it won't be until the summer of '12. So... Our house may still be for sale!

Old 02-03-2011, 05:14 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
I live in Emmaus and its as safe as safe can be. If something is gonna happen, its gonna happen. We had a bank robbery with a full blown shot out right before new years.

Old 02-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKidsMommy View Post
I've never been to NEPA before. Is it really that bad? If we do move it won't be until the summer of '12. So... Our house may still be for sale!
The Wilkes - Barre / Scranton area has it's quirks for sure. I have never seen so many people covered with tattoos, and who want nothing but to smoke and drink. I don't want to sound judgmental, I really don't. But the area has very little cultural awareness, and the residents seem intent on keeping it that way.

My wife is an adjunct professor at a local college, and her contract is up next school year. At that point we will be leaving the area.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:14 PM

377 posts, read 670,533 times
Allentown? Ya it's totally ghetto now. I've heard it called "The Little Apple". I work downtown and I don't think it's that bad but it's horrendous compared to how it was when I was a kid.

Macungie? I think it's fine. Only problems are like the other poster said...drunks, kids, etc.

Emmaus? My downtown friends refer to it as "Disneyland". LOL. I think Macungie is nicer however.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:37 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegEm View Post

Emmaus? My downtown friends refer to it as "Disneyland". LOL. I think Macungie is nicer however.
Disneyland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley