Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 07:48 AM

6 posts, read 9,611 times

Advertisements

Hi:

Even though I'm 58 and have lived most of my life in the state I was born (NJ), I'm ready to return to the ancestral state of PA for the next phase of my life. Way back when a branch of the family settled in and around Scranton/WB. Even though I have fond memories of spending time with my relatives in Moosic as a kid, I would rather be a bit closer to the NJ border and have looked around Coopersburg recently, liking what I see.

I was just wondering if any of the members here could add any input as to the general characteristics of the area; the long-term outlook, re: development, economic, etc.? I love a semi-rural area within reasonable driving distance of stores, nightlife, etc. A large yard, some decent space between homes, and peace and quiet are all good things in my mind. Ideally, a ranch home across the street from a cemetery would fit the bill, LOL.

Here are my vitals:

When are you moving? Later this year (2014).
Where are you coming from? Hudson County, NJ.
Why are you moving? Divorced; selling home .
Where will you be working? On disability retirement.
Have you been here yet? Yes, just some day trips out to check out some towns in the area.

Will you buy or rent? May want to rent for 6 months before deciding to buy.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House. $175k limit.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? A home rental, ideally, although a townhouse would be okay. $1,000k month.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk up; ranch.

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Divorced. Kids grown and gone.
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? Two dachshunds, house-broken and well-behaved.
Do you want or need a yard? Yes...both.
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet where I live; bustling activity within a half hour drive.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping Yes, within 20 minutes or so.
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Ditto.
Nightlife I like good music and a good microbrew.
Near Bus stop? Please note that there is NO rail service in the Lehigh Valley. Not a priority for me.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? As long as they are decent human beings who have pride in where they live, I have no preference whatsoever.

Phillies or Mets? Hah! Even though I'm a Yankees fan I have grown fond of going to Iron Pigs and Trenton Thunder games.

Thanks a million in advance, folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Sounds like you would like to live right in the borough of Coopersburg. I think you are going to find it pretty difficult to find a home in good shape in your price range (the avg. home price is more than double that), but if you contact a realtor, let him know your bottom line and have some patience, it could work. I like the town of Coopersburg and think you might too. Renting may be much more difficult, especially if you are looking for less than a years lease and have two dogs. :-( It's not uncommon around here to just see a sign up on a front lawn advertising a rental and having it gone within a week or two. Since Coopersburg is a small town in a good school district, reasonably priced houses and rentals do go fast.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Sounds like you would like to live right in the borough of Coopersburg. I think you are going to find it pretty difficult to find a home in good shape in your price range (the avg. home price is more than double that), but if you contact a realtor, let him know your bottom line and have some patience, it could work. I like the town of Coopersburg and think you might too. Renting may be much more difficult, especially if you are looking for less than a years lease and have two dogs. :-( It's not uncommon around here to just see a sign up on a front lawn advertising a rental and having it gone within a week or two. Since Coopersburg is a small town in a good school district, reasonably priced houses and rentals do go fast.
Agree. I don't think you could rent a townhouse for 1K or buy a house for 170K, but you could likely buy a nice townhouse for slightly more than 170K. Also, I think it may be hard to get a 6 month lease.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:24 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,140,200 times
Coopersburg is a premium spot. There is the great Southern Lehigh Public library in Center Valley where you can buy books for a $1.00 at their ongoing book sale. Outside is a park area where you can go for a nice walk. Close by is the Promenade shopping center where I hang out quite often.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-14-2014 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Corrected library name and location.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:23 AM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
There are occasionally small ranch houses for sale in Coopersburg and surrounding Upper Saucon for $175k or less, but they are often worn out/in need of updating. Doesn't sound like work you would want to be doing yourself if you're on disability. If you can live with 1970s bathrooms or formica countertops, you may be able to make it happen.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:38 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Another suggestion is Hellertown. A friend just found a small house there for her parents in your price range. They have a nicer downtown than Coopersburg and without school age kids to consider you don't have to worry about their on-going teacher contract problems, although that may impact taxes.... Hellertown also features the Bieber bus stop for easy transportation to NYC or Philadelphia.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:49 PM

6 posts, read 9,611 times
Thanks all for the great insights and opinions! I did indeed spend an afternoon looking at some listings in Hellertown and was quite pleased with the location and prices. The downtown area there is convenient and interesting, and the several folks I met were friendly and outgoing. One thing I did notice was the tremendous traffic tie-up at the Hellertown/Bethlehem exit off of Rt. 78. Wow. I was aware of the ongoing construction on the Bethlehem side, but must have sat through ten lights before I could make the left into Hellertown.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:35 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygone View Post
Thanks all for the great insights and opinions! I did indeed spend an afternoon looking at some listings in Hellertown and was quite pleased with the location and prices. The downtown area there is convenient and interesting, and the several folks I met were friendly and outgoing. One thing I did notice was the tremendous traffic tie-up at the Hellertown/Bethlehem exit off of Rt. 78. Wow. I was aware of the ongoing construction on the Bethlehem side, but must have sat through ten lights before I could make the left into Hellertown.

Thank you again for sharing your knowledge with me.
I think they just extended the construction timeframe. We did not buy a great house in that area simply because of that exit being a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley