Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 02:46 PM

3 posts, read 18,826 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me the total property tax rate in Forks Township? I found the Forks Township site: [url=http://www.forkstownship.org/taxes.html]Tax Information[/url].

It lists the following items as what you have to pay for property taxes in Forks:
Forks Township 5.1 mils
Northampton County 10.8 mils
Easton Area Schools 45.105 mils

I googled mils and I think they equate to 1/1000th of a dollar. At that rate, the total property tax (61.005 mils) is around 6.1%. Is this actually the property tax rate in Forks? It doesn't seem logical to me since that would put the taxes of a $200,000 home at $12,200...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 03:52 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,445 times
If the total value of the home is $200,000, then the assessed value is half of that, or $100,000. Use the $100,000 figure and multiply by the millage and you will find your taxes to be half of what you originally calculated. Much better!
(I had no idea the Easton Area School District millage was that high)

Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:28 PM

3 posts, read 18,826 times
Sorry for the questions, but I'm researching locations in preparation to be a first-time home buyer so this is all new to me.

Why would the assessed value be half of the purchase price? Does that mean I am correct with the 6.1% property tax (at half the purchase price)? Seems incredibly high to me, but, again, I know nothing about this.

If the NJ "General Tax Rate" is all inclusive (meaning there are not three separate taxes as apparently there is in Forks), nowhere in the surrounding NJ area has taxes that high. Of course I could be reading those entirely wrong as well...

Old 02-10-2008, 05:05 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialBuyer View Post
Sorry for the questions, but I'm researching locations in preparation to be a first-time home buyer so this is all new to me.

Why would the assessed value be half of the purchase price? Does that mean I am correct with the 6.1% property tax (at half the purchase price)? Seems incredibly high to me, but, again, I know nothing about this.

If the NJ "General Tax Rate" is all inclusive (meaning there are not three separate taxes as apparently there is in Forks), nowhere in the surrounding NJ area has taxes that high. Of course I could be reading those entirely wrong as well...
No, the assessed value is already established through the county. If this is an existing home, we have not been assessed in Northampton County since the early 90s.

Here is the website where you can look up your assessed value: Northampton County
Click on Search for Tax Records, Agree
Search by Property Address
Select the correct property and click on it.
On the left menu, click on the "Values" tab. When it opens, at the bottom of this tab will be the assessed value of your property. Take that figure and multiply by the millage to find your actual tax values.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 AM
jjj

168 posts, read 819,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotentialBuyer View Post
Could anyone tell me the total property tax rate in Forks Township? I found the Forks Township site: Tax Information.

It lists the following items as what you have to pay for property taxes in Forks:
Forks Township 5.1 mils
Northampton County 10.8 mils
Easton Area Schools 45.105 mils

I googled mils and I think they equate to 1/1000th of a dollar. At that rate, the total property tax (61.005 mils) is around 6.1%. Is this actually the property tax rate in Forks? It doesn't seem logical to me since that would put the taxes of a $200,000 home at $12,200...
A great web site to figure out taxes is zillow.com. Just type in any address in the area you are looking in and it will give you all the info on the property and the taxes paid in the last year. You can also just type in a zip code and a map with homes and street addresses will come up. Open which ever one and see what the taxes are. With all the confusing methods of assesments and millage rates this is an easy way to get property tax rates. Also you will see most older homes are taxed lower then newer construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley