Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 03:46 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,583,684 times

Advertisements

No no, I'm not talking about basketball games!
More along the lines of academics and community. Pros and Cons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:58 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
UK is expanding, trying to be a top 20 school in the nation, which frankly I don't see them achieving for quite some time. They have raised tuition by 9% I think this year alone. Overall the academics are good, the school of law and school of design are very strong. However, entrance level classes reach up to 300 students at a time and until you find you niche, you will be in some very large classes. So to sum up, the academics are good and Lexington is a nice town to spend four years in. The major cons are that your classes will be very large for a while and the campus itself is large and confusing to those who are unfamiliar with it. I've lived here my whole life so I'm trying to get out of state. Had I grown up somewhere else, I would possibly consider UK.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 PM

Where would you like to move too teebird? I would do a PhD but am most likely going to Tennessee, I believe I heard enrollment will reach 34,000 sometime down the road at UK, that is quite some number.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:09 AM

486 posts, read 1,897,541 times
I'm hoping to get into Vanderbilt (unlikely because it's so competitive), UVA, UNC, or Depauw.Those schools are far enough to where I can be on my own, but close enough to home to where if I need to come home, I can do it in half a day. I don't think UK is quite that big- UTK and UK are pretty similar in size. What are you getting a PhD in?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:41 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
The overall academics are good, not outstanding but solid. For an undergraduate/master's education, I think it is an overall good choice, especially considering the bang for the buck. The university has been improving itself every year. I was there for my bachelors and masters and saw continual improvement every year: renovated buildings, new buildings, better lab equipment, nicer landscaping... I like Dr. Todd as well, I feel he has a vision for the university and how the university should interact with Lexington that other presidents have lacked. However, I would plan on applying to the best school you can get into for your PhD.

As teebird said, the classes can be large and overwhelming the first two years. The second two years is like a different college, you actually start to see some of the same people from class to class, the professors are more available (some of them at least). Campus is pretty overall with a few eyesores from the architecturally void 60s and 70s. Campus lies just on the south side of downtown. There are a lot of off campus housing options for students between campus and downtown that give students easy walking/biking access to both, which is nice. If you are entering as a freshman and looking to live on campus, I would try to get into the north campus dorms. They have more of a intimate college feel and are closer to most classes as well as tons of restaurants and downtown.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:27 AM

Teebird: Vandy is a great school, Nashville is a lot of fun as well, it can get a lil pricey and be prepared for the fraternity/sorority scene, it's a lot bigger than that of UK. Great education overall. They are trying to increase diversity by accepting more out of state students so I wouldn't worry too much I'd still give it a try.

The 20 year plan at UK will increase enrollment to 34,000 people in 2020. I think Tennssee and UK are at the same enrollment but UK will eventually be a bigger school. I'd be studying a PhD in American History at Tennessee, I did apply to Vandy and UK as well, all great schools really but all very different social scenes.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:18 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDuke08 View Post
Its a great school with a lot of growth and traditon..one of the better state schools in the SE.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,341 times
Default UK definately being tossed upon the dustheap of history

It is a shame but the UK is quickly on its way out, quickly tossing itself upon the dustbin of history through it's spineless cowardice and maniacal government policy. Self loathing suicidal behavior with a capital "S" as evidenced by it's discovery of a terrorist plane hijacker working at Heathrow Airport. Good luck but you've definately earned what's coming to you.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:35 PM

216 posts, read 1,185,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmithers View Post
It is a shame but the UK is quickly on its way out, quickly tossing itself upon the dustbin of history through it's spineless cowardice and maniacal government policy. Self loathing suicidal behavior with a capital "S" as evidenced by it's discovery of a terrorist plane hijacker working at Heathrow Airport. Good luck but you've definately earned what's coming to you.

I think OP meant the University of Kentucky, not the United Kingdom.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:11 PM

820 posts, read 2,868,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmithers View Post
What!?!?!?!?!?!

I think you're confused!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area