Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2008, 08:18 AM

7 posts, read 35,727 times

Advertisements

What's with the federal prison in Masterson Station, I take it is not such a great place to live? There's a couple of houses to rent there but I don't want to raise my kid next to federal felons, why is it so close to neighborhoods or is my view from google earth making it appear a bigger deal than it is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 09:16 AM

46 posts, read 252,438 times
The Federal prison was built in the 30's by the U.S. Public Health Service and used to rehabilitate drug addicts and other medical prisoners. It originally sat on over 2000 acres of land. Just north of there across Spurr Rd. is the State minimum security prison and the state Juvenile detention center.

In the 70's, when the bureau of prisons took over the operations, the Feds offered approximately 1400 acres to the city and 740 acres became Masterson Station Park. Another 60+ acres will soon become the new fire training center and the Fayette County Schools equestrian/agri-learning center.

Only low risk, usually mental, prisoners are housed there and I have not heard of any escapes in my 56 years of living here. People like Leona Helmsley and Squeakey Fromme have spent time there. Many people in the Masterson Station subdivision and most people in Lexington don't even know it exists. You would have more to fear from those who drive by on the street than form those in the prison.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:09 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,706 times
I do know that every once in a while somebody escapes, but I have read that the neighborhood association has a pretty good alert system in place when that happens.

To me, a bigger issue is that the area's main draw has always been price. The same houses in other parts of town are much more expensive. That location works for some people, but price is what has brought most of the residents to that area. If you are fine with that, then buy out there. I just wanted to let you know because I see too many people that always talk about what a deal they got, but never realize that when they are the seller, they will also have to give a good deal.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartomanlex2 View Post
The Federal prison was built in the 30's by the U.S. Public Health Service and used to rehabilitate drug addicts and other medical prisoners. It originally sat on over 2000 acres of land. Just north of there across Spurr Rd. is the State minimum security prison and the state Juvenile detention center.

In the 70's, when the bureau of prisons took over the operations, the Feds offered approximately 1400 acres to the city and 740 acres became Masterson Station Park. Another 60+ acres will soon become the new fire training center and the Fayette County Schools equestrian/agri-learning center.

Only low risk, usually mental, prisoners are housed there and I have not heard of any escapes in my 56 years of living here. People like Leona Helmsley and Squeakey Fromme have spent time there. Many people in the Masterson Station subdivision and most people in Lexington don't even know it exists. You would have more to fear from those who drive by on the street than form those in the prison.
humm, thanks for the history on the place, it helps aliviate some fears, I'm from so. cal. and I'm just so use to hearing about all the criminals that LA county has to release all the time due to overcrowding, hence the major crime problem. I just didn't want to move to the same senario. Thank you much again.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
I do know that every once in a while somebody escapes, but I have read that the neighborhood association has a pretty good alert system in place when that happens.

To me, a bigger issue is that the area's main draw has always been price. The same houses in other parts of town are much more expensive. That location works for some people, but price is what has brought most of the residents to that area. If you are fine with that, then buy out there. I just wanted to let you know because I see too many people that always talk about what a deal they got, but never realize that when they are the seller, they will also have to give a good deal.
good to know, thank you LEXpert. do you think the lower price for housing is due to the close proximity to the prison, or just the area in general is less appealing?

Old 10-20-2008, 11:39 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYhome View Post
good to know, thank you LEXpert. do you think the lower price for housing is due to the close proximity to the prison, or just the area in general is less appealing?
It isn't as convenient to several of the major employers, and not as convenient to shopping. Maybe it isn't as fashionable as other suburbs of similar age... I could be wrong, but that's my sense of it. Honestly, the federal prison isn't really a factor imho.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
It isn't as convenient to several of the major employers, and not as convenient to shopping. Maybe it isn't as fashionable as other suburbs of similar age... I could be wrong, but that's my sense of it. Honestly, the federal prison isn't really a factor imho.
Good to know, thank you for the insight. the homes there definately look very nice and the prices are very appealing, it's just my husband zoomed in on it from google earth and figured it was a prison although it wasn't labled. So he had to do quite a bit of research to figure it was a federal prison becuase it wasn't coming up in the KY system. *sigh* we're such jaded Californians over here, everything is suspect, it will be nice to catch a breath of fresh country air once we get to Lex in december.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:48 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,907 times
imo=the major thing that keeps the price of this area lower is the school district.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:12 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
imo=the major thing that keeps the price of this area lower is the school district.
Oh yeah, forgot about that. Yes, you're exactly right. Bingo!

The people I know who are happily living in Masterson Station are private-school folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area