Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,053,616 times

Advertisements

KerryB is exactly right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 06:23 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
I for one don't try to steer people to Louisville because I think there is good in every town. There is something good there or no one would live there!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,737,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
With all due respect, I wasn't trying to compare Lexington to Louisville or Cincinnati or any other "substantially larger" cities for that matter. The only point is that the OP was asking about meeting people in Lexington and it seems that you were redirecting her to Louisville and Cincinnati, as if Lexington were a lost cause. No one is debating that Louisville and Cincinnati may be bigger cities, but everyone knows that bigger does not necessarily mean better.

This isn't the first time that I've seen where posters have asked about Lexington, and invariably someone who doesn't live here gets on the LEXINGTON board and tries to steer them away from Lexington towards Louisville. I understand that Louisvillians love their city, but so do we Lexingtonians -- so please don't make it sound as if we don't have anything to offer.

As for the Bigg Blue Martini, I might be one of those "older" guys you mentioned (over 40), but I can assure you that I don't go there looking for a UK sorority girl. Generalizations like that only serve to perpetuate stereotypes and really aren't helpful to anyone.

You may have spent plenty of time in Lexington, but that doesn't give you the insight that an actual resident has into what's going on in the city. It would be nice if when someone has a question about LEXINGTON, that residents of other cities wouldn't jump in and tell them why they should go somewhere else.

Anyway, perhaps I'm being too sensitive, but like I've said, this isn't the first time I've seen this happen on this board (not just from you). No hard feelings, I just wanted to make that point.

Cheers ~ lexingtony

Nope, I am only speaking the truth. It seems to me KerryB and several other posters agree. Louisville and Cincinnati are very challenging places to live as a single person in their 30's....Lexington is an IMMENSE challenge. Those are just the cold hard facts. I have had several people gripe to me about the single scene for older people in Louisville, and while it is certainly substatial compared to a much smaller town like Lexington, I have often driected those unhappy folks to places like Chicago. The fact is that it is much easier to meet single young professionals the larger the city you are in.

Now, Lexington for its small size, does have a very nice pool of well educated professionals, but where do you meet them?I have heard this gripe over and over again on this board, and have gotten a couple PMs from transplants to Lexington (and Louisville really) pertaining to this question. The fact is, Lexington is still very much a college town. It's UK or bust. Almost everyone has a tie to UK, either student, grad student, faculty, or alum. Thats not such a bad thing, and smaller ISNT always worse. For example, Bloomington, IN, metro population circa 130,000, has Lexington beat in every way from cultural diversity to different types of restaurants. So, size doesn't always matter, and I am not knocking Lexington in any way, but it is the way it is. If you wish, I will leave this discussion and let you handle it, but I have been to Big Blue Martini and dozens of other Lexington bars and restaurants and feel quite compelled to state my opinion.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:25 PM

270 posts, read 934,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Nope, I am only speaking the truth. It seems to me KerryB and several other posters agree. Louisville and Cincinnati are very challenging places to live as a single person in their 30's....Lexington is an IMMENSE challenge. Those are just the cold hard facts. I have had several people gripe to me about the single scene for older people in Louisville, and while it is certainly substatial compared to a much smaller town like Lexington, I have often driected those unhappy folks to places like Chicago. The fact is that it is much easier to meet single young professionals the larger the city you are in.

Now, Lexington for its small size, does have a very nice pool of well educated professionals, but where do you meet them?I have heard this gripe over and over again on this board, and have gotten a couple PMs from transplants to Lexington (and Louisville really) pertaining to this question. The fact is, Lexington is still very much a college town. It's UK or bust. Almost everyone has a tie to UK, either student, grad student, faculty, or alum. Thats not such a bad thing, and smaller ISNT always worse. For example, Bloomington, IN, metro population circa 130,000, has Lexington beat in every way from cultural diversity to different types of restaurants. So, size doesn't always matter, and I am not knocking Lexington in any way, but it is the way it is. If you wish, I will leave this discussion and let you handle it, but I have been to Big Blue Martini and dozens of other Lexington bars and restaurants and feel quite compelled to state my opinion.
I think you're missing my point. What you call "the truth" and "cold hard facts" are really just opinions...yours and evidently a few others. But, it's not fact nor the opinion of everyone on this board.

It's just irksome when someone makes a post on the Lexington board asking about our city and then people from Louisville come on and say "you need to go to Louisville" or "here's why Louisville is better." And there seems to be some fixation that Lexington is a smaller city than Louisville or Cincinnati (I've read it repeatedly in previous posts), which I don't think really matters. Except that you used it - once again - as an opportunity to point out how Bloomington, a smaller city, "has Lexington beat." (I'm beginning to think you really just can't help yourself...you just don't like Lexington much, do you?).

I don't think you need to leave this discussion, but it would be appreciated that if you want to contribute to the discussion, that you do so by addressing the question asked -- not by taking every opportunity to tout Louisville over Lexington. If you want to go on the Louisville board and scream "Louisville is way better than Lexington!" from the rooftops, so be it. Just please try to refrain from coming on the Lexington board and detracting from our city. People that post questions on the Lexington board are interested in Lexington -- if they wanted to know about Louisville, I assume they'd post their question in the Louisville forum.

As proud as you evidently are of Louisville (and rightfully so - it's a great city), many of us Lexingtonians are equally proud of our hometown. So please save your Louisville accolades for the Louisville forum and try to minimize pointing out why YOU think Lexington isn't as good -- at least on this board.

P.S. I've mentioned before, but I'll say again, that I was born and raised in Louisville...and by the way, I went to a private college and have absolutely no connections to UK.

Last edited by lexingtony; 12-12-2008 at 02:49 PM..

Old 12-12-2008, 03:21 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,487,233 times
I think what people mean is, its pretty much fact that urban areas are MUCH easier to meet people in. And from my personal experiences living in Lexington through most of my 20s & moving around to bigger cities later on like DC, that is absolutely 100% correct.

No one is knocking Lex, it is what it is & has a lot going for it. But an urban city is ain't. Not by a long shot. Whereas Louisville & Cincy are, therefor they're much easier to meet people when you're out & about.

People are allowed to interact with other people a lot more in walkable environments instead of in places like Lex where you go from house (or apt) to car to destination, all with almost zero interaction in between. It's just the nature of things.

There could very well be a larger population of single pros in Lex than we will ever know, but like another poster said, how would you ever meet them?? Sure it's possible, but man it takes much more effort to than in a lot of other areas where things "just happen". In Lex, you have very few opportunities to do that. Its not like you're gonna strike up a conversation with someone standing in line at the Target out in the suburbs (which is almost what Lex is entirely made up of). And meeting people at bars, well, just sucks IMO. Besides, its hard work finding a cool one thats not overrun with college students, esp if its downtown.

My point is, urban up the place, get people outta their cars, play up other things besides freakin' UK sports & horses, then you'll see some growth in this demographic. Not everyone wants to live in a suburban cookie cutter college town.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Sorry, Lexington is not a city. It is a small town with a big university in it. Its artificial. There are few employment opportunities outside of UK, Lexmark (not doing well) and Toyota which is an assembly plant with mostly blue collar workers, not that there is anything wrong with that. If you're not a UK grad or in the horse industry, its not a very interesting place to be. There are few places to go and while I've been lucky to meet a wonderful, attractive person, I know it was pure luck and the odds are certainly against single 30 and 40 somethings.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:29 PM

270 posts, read 934,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
I think what people mean is, its pretty much fact that urban areas are MUCH easier to meet people in. And from my personal experiences living in Lexington through most of my 20s & moving around to bigger cities later on like DC, that is absolutely 100% correct.

No one is knocking Lex, it is what it is & has a lot going for it. But an urban city is ain't. Not by a long shot. Whereas Louisville & Cincy are, therefor they're much easier to meet people when you're out & about.

People are allowed to interact with other people a lot more in walkable environments instead of in places like Lex where you go from house (or apt) to car to destination, all with almost zero interaction in between. It's just the nature of things.

There could very well be a larger population of single pros in Lex than we will ever know, but like another poster said, how would you ever meet them?? Sure it's possible, but man it takes much more effort to than in a lot of other areas where things "just happen". In Lex, you have very few opportunities to do that. Its not like you're gonna strike up a conversation with someone standing in line at the Target out in the suburbs (which is almost what Lex is entirely made up of). And meeting people at bars, well, just sucks IMO. Besides, its hard work finding a cool one thats not overrun with college students, esp if its downtown.

My point is, urban up the place, get people outta their cars, play up other things besides freakin' UK sports & horses, then you'll see some growth in this demographic. Not everyone wants to live in a suburban cookie cutter college town.
Okay, I promise this is my last post on this topic and then I'm done.

No one is disputing that Lexington isn't a large metropolitan city and that some of the larger cities that are nearby may have more entertainment options to offer. But I know that Lexington is not DEVOID of any social offerings and opportunities for networking and meeting people - you just have to put yourself out there and look for them. So, when someone posts on the LEXINGTON board asking about things to do or places to go in Lexington, it's somewhat bothersome when other city-data members redirect them to Louisville or somewhere else as if it's pointless to look for something to do in Lexington.

If this were the first time it's happened, of course I wouldn't have said anything. But it's happened several times and I just felt that I had to speak up for those who do like living in Lexington and have found social outlets and established a network of friends. Some of the posts just make it seem like that is impossible, and you might as well drive to Louisville or Cincinnati. It's not as if Lexington is Petticoat Junction, folks.

Everyone's experience is different. If you preface your comments with "in my experience...", then I wouldn't object. But when people come on and make statements saying they are the "truth" or absolute "fact" -- well, that's not accurate. If you said "Lexington doesn't have a Cheesecake Factory", that is a fact. If you said "Everyone in Lexington only cares about UK sports and horses and you can't meet anyone there", that's not a fact.

Anyway, I think we've beat this topic to death, and as I said earlier, I'm done now. Louisville is a great city, Lexington is a great city, and god bless everyone that loves each of them. Perception is colored by attitude, and I choose to have a positive one and find the good things...in many cases, your experience is what you make it, so make the most of it!

Have a good night, ya'll!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
Okay, I promise this is my last post on this topic and then I'm done.

No one is disputing that Lexington isn't a large metropolitan city and that some of the larger cities that are nearby may have more entertainment options to offer. But I know that Lexington is not DEVOID of any social offerings and opportunities for networking and meeting people - you just have to put yourself out there and look for them. So, when someone posts on the LEXINGTON board asking about things to do or places to go in Lexington, it's somewhat bothersome when other city-data members redirect them to Louisville or somewhere else as if it's pointless to look for something to do in Lexington.

If this were the first time it's happened, of course I wouldn't have said anything. But it's happened several times and I just felt that I had to speak up for those who do like living in Lexington and have found social outlets and established a network of friends. Some of the posts just make it seem like that is impossible, and you might as well drive to Louisville or Cincinnati. It's not as if Lexington is Petticoat Junction, folks.

Everyone's experience is different. If you preface your comments with "in my experience...", then I wouldn't object. But when people come on and make statements saying they are the "truth" or absolute "fact" -- well, that's not accurate. If you said "Lexington doesn't have a Cheesecake Factory", that is a fact. If you said "Everyone in Lexington only cares about UK sports and horses and you can't meet anyone there", that's not a fact.

Anyway, I think we've beat this topic to death, and as I said earlier, I'm done now. Louisville is a great city, Lexington is a great city, and god bless everyone that loves each of them. Perception is colored by attitude, and I choose to have a positive one and find the good things...in many cases, your experience is what you make it, so make the most of it!

Have a good night, ya'll!
Believe it or not, I really like Lexington. It gives me such a clean, safe, wholesome, new feel, and I love the college town feel. But for many older people, it is not a great place to be. If you want facts, here is one: Louisville and Cincinnati have tens of thousands more people in the 30's age range to meet. Also, the last fact is, there are very few bars in Lexington that cater to an older crowd. Seriously, I travel to Lexington alot for business and would love to know of a spot where it is all 25 and up, becuase I haven't found it yet. What I am saying is that you have to be in larger cities to find that scene, and Louisville is about one of the smallest cities that will have a scene for that crowd. In reality, single folks in their 30s are better off in the largest 10 or 20 cities in America if they want to increase their odds of finding a mate by surrounding themselves by more marbles!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Excellent post, and in fairness, Lexington needs to urbanize and is making an attempt to. I think projects like CentrePointe and low rise infill downtown speak to the fact that the city is trying to develop a walkable urban area that really doesn't exist. Either way, as go Lexington, Louisville, and NKY, so goes the success of KY. The state really needs its urban areas to ante up.

Finally, to the OP, I do apologize for this discourse. But, know this. If you can't find your scene in Lexington, it doesn't mean that the whole state is hopeless for you. I would give Louisville and NKY a shot, and it is the reason I brought them up initially. I think we see too many people leave the state of KY for other places like Nashville, etc, without giving the largest urban areas in their state a shot too. I think that is more my point.

Last edited by Peter1948; 12-14-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 12-14-2008, 01:16 PM

83 posts, read 219,899 times
Quote:
My thoughts EXACTLY. It's a downright DEPRESSING town to live in if you don't like UK sports or horses. Many people here have no life outside of that. As a college student, all I ever hear is one of three things: 1. Let's go to Keeneland! 2. Let's go GET DRUNK. 3. See you at the tailgate party.
Now, don't get me wrong... these are three PERFECTLY "normal" and acceptable recreational and social activities, but something tells me there is more to life than this (oh, and keep in mind, usually numbers 1 and 3 are engaged in concurrently with number 2, so that really leaves 2 things). But then I realize, there really IS nothing else to do here. If you are into partying or clubs, there are better places. If you're a career-minded professional, you'd be better served by a bigger city... both for jobs and for networking opportunities. If you like outdoor activities, there are much better places for that. The perception that everyone here is either married or engaged by the time they graduate college is not an illusion at all. I'm guessing most of the people who are left without a chair (spouse) when the music stops decide to flee the area in hopes of a better singles scene elsewhere. Those who remain, do indeed like horses and UK sports. On the other hand, most people meet their significant other either through work or through their social network and friends, so it probably isn't that bad, but I think UK's dominance in this town is a negative thing when it comes to the 30's singles scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area