Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,803,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgrl View Post
Hi, my name is Sarah and I am new to the lexington area. I was just wondering if I could get some feedback on local hangouts geared toward people in their 30's and up. Thanks!
Any of the more popular places will have college kids there (there are 30k+ of them in town and they drink like fish), but the bars downtown will have more of a mix of ages. Atomic Cafe, Cheapside, Molly Brooke's, McCarthy's, Big Blue Martini are places to check out. Generally, the college kids that go to those bars are older, like graduate and law students. To get away from the college students, go to some of the more high end restaurants that have bars, such as La Deauville, Malone's/Oscar's (not downtown) and Portofino. Those will be more of a sit around and talk kind of place with some light music in the background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 11:51 AM

80 posts, read 247,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgrl View Post
Is it that bad? Maybe I should become the crazy cat lady.

Well, having a nice small four room house with 72 cats (and only one litter box) isn't such a bad thing.....is it?

LOL!

Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times

Old 12-11-2008, 10:35 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtony View Post
Just curious, how did you determine that there are more 30-somethings in Louisville and Cincinnati than in Lexington? Just based on total population because they are larger cities? Your opening sentence indicates that you think Lexington is somehow not as good as Louisville or Cincinnati ("not bad if you make something of it...consider lots of road trips").

As for finding people on facebook, myspace or other online venues, that's just as easily done for Lexington, where she actually lives.

As a resident of Lexington, I don't think it's necessary to make 'lots of road trips' to surrounding cities. If Sarah is going to live here, she owes it to herself to find local places to enjoy.

Any place you live is what you make of it. Perhaps I am biased, but I've had no problem meeting people in Lexington -- and this coming from a single person who happens to be a Louisville native.

Very easily. The census. For some odd reason, Lexingtonians try to compare their city to substantially larger ones. Louisville is three times larger in its city and nearly three times larger in metro area as well. Cincinnati is actually over four times bigger than Lexington in metro area! If you get on Americanfactfinder you can find the exact stats.

Anywho, Lexington is a fine town, but it is what it is. It is not a great place for singles in their 30's. Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville are better, but still, they tend to be smaller and harder to meet singles than in the big coastal cities or Chicago.

However, being smaller does not make it an inferior city. I like Louisville even though it is almost 7 times smaller than Chicago, where I have lived. I have spent plenty of time in Lexington to know that the nightlife and restaurants, while good for a city its size, cannot compare to the much more extensive options in its neighboring cities. To the OP, I agree, try to make the best of what you have in Lexington. I am thinking the best place would be the Big Blue Martini, but even that is populated by older guys looking for the groups of UK sorority girls that go there for martini (ie thats your "competition")

Old 12-11-2008, 10:37 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Any of the more popular places will have college kids there (there are 30k+ of them in town and they drink like fish), but the bars downtown will have more of a mix of ages. Atomic Cafe, Cheapside, Molly Brooke's, McCarthy's, Big Blue Martini are places to check out. Generally, the college kids that go to those bars are older, like graduate and law students. To get away from the college students, go to some of the more high end restaurants that have bars, such as La Deauville, Malone's/Oscar's (not downtown) and Portofino. Those will be more of a sit around and talk kind of place with some light music in the background.
Atmomic Cafe and Cheapside are fratboy havens. Really the only haven I have found from the college kids in lexington is at the higher end restaurants, and there are a handful of nice ones. The best by far is Portofino, and that place on Gratz Park whose name escapes me at the minute.

Old 12-11-2008, 01:00 PM

270 posts, read 934,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Very easily. The census. For some odd reason, Lexingtonians try to compare their city to substantially larger ones. Louisville is three times larger in its city and nearly three times larger in metro area as well. Cincinnati is actually over four times bigger than Lexington in metro area! If you get on Americanfactfinder you can find the exact stats.

Anywho, Lexington is a fine town, but it is what it is. It is not a great place for singles in their 30's. Cincinnati, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville are better, but still, they tend to be smaller and harder to meet singles than in the big coastal cities or Chicago.

However, being smaller does not make it an inferior city. I like Louisville even though it is almost 7 times smaller than Chicago, where I have lived. I have spent plenty of time in Lexington to know that the nightlife and restaurants, while good for a city its size, cannot compare to the much more extensive options in its neighboring cities. To the OP, I agree, try to make the best of what you have in Lexington. I am thinking the best place would be the Big Blue Martini, but even that is populated by older guys looking for the groups of UK sorority girls that go there for martini (ie thats your "competition")
With all due respect, I wasn't trying to compare Lexington to Louisville or Cincinnati or any other "substantially larger" cities for that matter. The only point is that the OP was asking about meeting people in Lexington and it seems that you were redirecting her to Louisville and Cincinnati, as if Lexington were a lost cause. No one is debating that Louisville and Cincinnati may be bigger cities, but everyone knows that bigger does not necessarily mean better.

This isn't the first time that I've seen where posters have asked about Lexington, and invariably someone who doesn't live here gets on the LEXINGTON board and tries to steer them away from Lexington towards Louisville. I understand that Louisvillians love their city, but so do we Lexingtonians -- so please don't make it sound as if we don't have anything to offer.

As for the Bigg Blue Martini, I might be one of those "older" guys you mentioned (over 40), but I can assure you that I don't go there looking for a UK sorority girl. Generalizations like that only serve to perpetuate stereotypes and really aren't helpful to anyone.

You may have spent plenty of time in Lexington, but that doesn't give you the insight that an actual resident has into what's going on in the city. It would be nice if when someone has a question about LEXINGTON, that residents of other cities wouldn't jump in and tell them why they should go somewhere else.

Anyway, perhaps I'm being too sensitive, but like I've said, this isn't the first time I've seen this happen on this board (not just from you). No hard feelings, I just wanted to make that point.

Cheers ~ lexingtony

Last edited by lexingtony; 12-11-2008 at 01:35 PM..

Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Very easily. The census. For some odd reason, Lexingtonians try to compare their city to substantially larger ones.
No STX, everytime someone on here posts a question about Lexington, you jump on and tell them they need to drive to Louisville for any entertainment, culture, good restaurants...

Old 12-11-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Atmomic Cafe and Cheapside are fratboy havens. Really the only haven I have found from the college kids in lexington is at the higher end restaurants, and there are a handful of nice ones. The best by far is Portofino, and that place on Gratz Park whose name escapes me at the minute.

Atomic Cafe and Cheapside can be fratboy havens, but earlier in the night (before 10) and away from the Thu/Fri/Sat latenight bar crowds, they host a pretty wide range of people. Both (particularly Cheapside) are popular places for an after work drink for the downtown lawyers.

Jonathan's at Gratz Park

Old 12-11-2008, 05:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
You would think a city of 279,000 that is 40% college education would have more than 3 blocks of nice hang out areas for Young Professionals than a mostly blue collar river city of 700,000 people that is 25% college educated.

If you're really into 'hanging out' I'd hit the aformentioned spots in Lex and then head to Bardstown Rd or Frankfort Ave in Louisville every weekend or two

Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
This is pretty much my biggest gripe with Lexington. It doesnt cater enough to the single young professional crowd. Sure you can find places, but its much harder in Lex than in many other cities, including the surrounding ones mentioned here.

I'm in my early 30s/married & I feel like an old man there when I go out. Downtown is just so "collegy" & then many in KY feel the need to get married/start a family right afterwards (or before) college that it ends up being slim pickins for young adults in the area.

So God help you if you're in your early 30s & dont know some people going in. And the adults that you do find are mostly into the same things, like UK basketball for instance. So its like you can never escape the college atmosphere no matter how hard you try. Its like you're either young & single or old & married. There's no in between.

Lex has a lot going for it, but that kills it IMO. Many people dig that stuff, but I personally don't. I dont wanna go out & see all young people, just as I dont like going out & seeing all old people. Like a good mix.

Hopefully all the downtown expansions will attract a wide variety of people to both work, live & play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area