Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 05:06 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times

Advertisements

Lexpert is there anything in Glendover in their $ range? That would be much closer to UK than Stonewall. The other observation I would add is that a lot of homes in Lans-merrick aren't as well maintained as the other areas on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:20 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
The only one under $250k is on Albany. I excluded that one since the road is so busy. There is another one on Albany that is just over $250k. There is also a ranch on a basement on Sherwood. It is a small house with some square footage in the basement. It looks pretty 60's original, but is a sweet street. Close to $260k and says it has a 12 hour Kick-Out clause, which means the house has an accepted contract with a contingency. Another buyer with a contingency can buy the house IF after 12 hour notice the other buyer cannot remove the contingency.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:39 PM

822 posts, read 3,003,253 times
Good info everyone When I do a general search for 200-250K, I come up with three areas of town that are nice but that I don't know particularly well: 40509 (Hamburg et al.); 40511 (Masterson Station et al.); and 40515 (newer parts of Tates Creek). All three - at the risk of being offensive to some - have iffy school triangles. But at the same time, they have nice, upscale, newer, larger homes. The lots range from smallish to mediumish. I haven't tracked the times to the university, but they should be OK depending on traffic patterns, etc. In terms of the older homes, anything in 40502 or 40503 will probably be too small. [I've been watching that house on Edgemoor in Tahoma Terrace, but probably to some degree a "fixer upper" or one that could prosper by some major renovation]. Stonewall is a great, fascinating area, but everything depends on how much the house has been updated. Southland - I have to admit to being somewhat confused by the term - I guess this is the general area by Gardenside, some of Clays Mill. I still think the houses are going to be on the small side. My "gut" just tells me that these buyers would be better off in these newer parts of town, especially if they are leaning towards a larger home (and that schools don't matter except as it affects the investment) - so I'd lean towards the original three areas above - but again, I *basically* just know that they are popular among younger families.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:49 AM

17 posts, read 31,258 times
Again, I appreciate everyone's help. Is the area around Transylvania University a good place to look, or am I going to run into pricing or safety issues?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:21 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,055,527 times
The area around Transylvania is great - very charming, lots of beautiful homes. It is an URBAN environment - one of the few in Lexington. There is every kind of resident, all socio-economic levels, jumbled in together. Personally, I love it there. Price-wise, you're going to be paying for anything wonderful - it's such a convenient location with such lovely historic homes. It's hard to say what you are going to find in your price range. Always worth a look, though.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,636 times
I would consider the area around Transy only if I didn't have children.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:21 PM

I know plenty of people near Transy with children - but all the kids are in private school or homeschooled, now that you mention it.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:40 AM

17 posts, read 31,258 times
I assume, then, that Transy is tied to a less than ideal school district, but is the area safe? I am looking at a 3-4 year stay in Lexington, so my daughter (6 months old) will not reach kindergarten by the time we leave. Of course, I understand that being tied to a less than ideal school district can have an effect on the value of the property.

More importantly to me is that I want to feel comfortable playing with my child out in the yard!

Thanks!

Last edited by chattavegas1; 02-19-2009 at 08:05 AM..

Old 02-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Hm, well, you have to take that neighborhood one block at a time. If you find a house you are interested in, by all means, post it because there are a couple of us on this board who are familliar with the area. The blocks that are good, are VERY VERY good. Then there will be a block of gorgeous mansions converted to student slums, a couple of urban-infill apartment buildings stuffed onto single-family lots, then a nice house or two, a couple houses converted to attorneys' offices, and then another NICE NICE block of houses.

The kids I know, all play outside.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times
Here is a home one block from campus:

459 Campbell St, Lexington, KY 40508 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area