Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:56 PM

141 posts, read 752,396 times

Advertisements

Good public schools in Lexington? Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I attended middle and elementary school in Lexington, but as things got dangerous my parents saw that the only option if they wanted to keep me in public school was to move out of Fayette County. So they did. I'm very grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 PM

486 posts, read 1,897,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCA2013 View Post
CONGRATULATIONS! What do you plan to do? My final two kids are determined to go into medicine. So, Science and Math is very very important. How do you see your school ranking with these subjects and programs? What kind of Tech is in Sayre? Tell me more about your school.

I was talking to someone today about your school and they said they left because the tuition was more than any private school in Lexington and they still had to come up with all the extra funds to help the school. It had went beyond their reach with only one child. I know how hard it is for private schools, because I am an active parent that has helped with tons of fundraising. Privates do not have the taxpayers funding to depend on or stimulus dollars. My friend still said she did not think Sayre had advanced like Lexington Catholic or Trinity or LCA in many areas? Please share your experiences and advice. Thank you.
Thank you! I'm going to Vanderbilt University to study engineering (I'm a civil eng. major as of now). We have some good teachers in the math department (particularly our Calculus, Stats, and Algebra II teachers). We just got a new physics teacher this year who is a Wash-U-STL graduate who worked for Lexmark as a mechanical engineer and is now teacher (she's still learning the ropes but has great potential). The teachers are very approchable, always willing to take questions to ensure their students understand what's going on. We have a dress code like LCA, Cath, and Trinity, but ours is far more relaxed (guys have to wear kakhi shorts or pants (depending on weather) with a collared or button down shirt tucked in, belt, decent shoes. No stripe code on shirts also, which is quite nice.

When I said technology, every classroom in the Upper School is equipped with SmartBoards, wireless and server access (90% of work is digital now) and every student is required to carry a laptop with him/her. To put it into perspective, I haven't hand written an essay since 8th grade (though my handwriting is still very legible).

Academically speaking I had a great experience at Sayre with some great teachers and a few not so great ones but you find that anywhere you go I suppose.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 AM

25 posts, read 78,570 times
Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebird1012 View Post
Thank you! I'm going to Vanderbilt University to study engineering (I'm a civil eng. major as of now). We have some good teachers in the math department (particularly our Calculus, Stats, and Algebra II teachers). We just got a new physics teacher this year who is a Wash-U-STL graduate who worked for Lexmark as a mechanical engineer and is now teacher (she's still learning the ropes but has great potential). The teachers are very approchable, always willing to take questions to ensure their students understand what's going on. We have a dress code like LCA, Cath, and Trinity, but ours is far more relaxed (guys have to wear kakhi shorts or pants (depending on weather) with a collared or button down shirt tucked in, belt, decent shoes. No stripe code on shirts also, which is quite nice.

When I said technology, every classroom in the Upper School is equipped with SmartBoards, wireless and server access (90% of work is digital now) and every student is required to carry a laptop with him/her. To put it into perspective, I haven't hand written an essay since 8th grade (though my handwriting is still very legible).

Academically speaking I had a great experience at Sayre with some great teachers and a few not so great ones but you find that anywhere you go I suppose.

I am definitely checking out your school! Your input was very helpful.

Your University choice was an excellent one. A family member is a professor there.

Best of Luck this Fall!

Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 AM

7 posts, read 15,259 times
a-men about LCA - 9 years and $100,000.00 later, I too finally saw what LCA was all about
the CASH not Christain (that's what the C stands for I now understand). People think politics is only in the public schools................think again!!! Parents are fooled if they think their child is getting a christain education there. The school is the biggest JOKE in Lexington.
If they are "so Christian" why were they fined $30,000.00 by the KHSAA for recruiting athletes - sound likes they are "so hippocratic". It was in the newspaper didn't everyone see it?

Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

83 posts, read 219,965 times
no no no no, you got it all wrong. It's the "Lexington Caucasian Academy".
And I don't see how this choice of schools thing is so difficult: if you are able to choose, pick the one that offers the most AP classes. Your sheltered kid(s) can get into drugs and alcohol just as easily (or actually more easily) at a private school (where kids have money) as at a public school.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:51 AM

7 posts, read 15,259 times
A good student will thrive and do well at any school. Had two nieces that went to a horrible high school both graduated valedictorian (there were 1000 kids in this school) both are now doctors. I worked in the school system so I KNOW the schools were terrible. So smart kids will make it regardless of where they go to school - if they want to, that is!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area