Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:27 PM

53 posts, read 192,879 times

Advertisements

to Micah Girl - Since you originated this thread, I just wanted to say a big "Thanks" for getting such a wonderful discussion going! I have learned so much from these posts and others. Hope your search in Kentucky goes well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2007, 05:31 AM

283 posts, read 1,026,164 times
Tory -- I have good friends who moved from Iowa to Eugene, Oregon a few years ago. They love all of the outdoor activities! However they have found the public school system to be less than what they had hoped for (they have 2 elementary aged kids who they now send to private school) and they are frustrated with the cost of housing and the traffic.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 AM

458 posts, read 2,290,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tory View Post
to Micah Girl - Since you originated this thread, I just wanted to say a big "Thanks" for getting such a wonderful discussion going! I have learned so much from these posts and others. Hope your search in Kentucky goes well!
I must say I not only love this forum, I think I may be addicted!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:34 PM

to ic-epi - Thanks for your post about Eugene. My husband lived there for a few years when he was a pre-teen! (he's almost 55 now, so we're talking about 43+ years ago!!) You're so right about the cost of living being higher - as it is in Portland, too. We certainly won't get as much house for the $ if we decide on Oregon. That is one of the main reasons we are favoring Kentucky! But, Oregon is so beautiful we're going to give it one more look before we decide!

Old 05-07-2007, 12:37 PM

to Micah Girl - I totally agree that this forum is addicting!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:38 AM

5 posts, read 23,129 times
As a general observation; not pre-supposing you fit here: The problem with purchasing a home anywhere seems to be the desire to buy as much as one can afford in a nice place. Well and good. But, few take into consideration the need to maintain and upkeep and improve. Your new house doesn't stay that way automatically just paying the mortgage. One home in a neighborhood that is well manicured, upkept, clean of debris and weeds, goes light-years toward influencing surrounding others to attempt doing likewise. Plus .. with the present day crash of mortgage and realty markets using old Mark to Market evaluation of properties, it may be possible over the coming months and years to have a really pristine stand-out castle of a home surrounded by lesser evaluated homes. We're learning that homes are as individual as people. The notion of Location-Location-Location is falling by the wayside.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
I have checked out lbarmls.com and realtor.com to look at houses in and around Lexington. I see that there are indeed 4 bedroom houses well under 200K available, but it's hard for me to know what the neighborhoods are like.

In general, can you get a decent house with 4 BR and a yard for the kids in a safe, nice neighborhood (not fancy, just nice) in Lexington city limits?

I am visiting next month and will be looking at houses but am still trying to figure out exactly how far our money can go in advance.

Thanks!
Absolutely. Look in Southland. Safe, nice, 4BR houses with 1/4 acre yards and some have basements. Walkable, a farmer's market and plenty of parks. Convenient to everything. And safe, safe, safe. In the 14 years total that we lived in Southland, we never locked a door, and never had a problem.

ETA: whoops, I just noticed that this was an old resurrected thread. Well, it's still true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area