Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 01:29 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times

Advertisements

Council gives go-ahead for Main, Vine redesign - Lexington Development - Kentucky.com

It is looking like a 50/50 coin toss as to whether Lexington City Council will vote on whether to convert both pair of two way streets going downtown (Vine & Main, Limestone & Upper) back into their original two way form.

Do you think this would be a good or bad move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,641 times
Terrible idea. They tried this in a few downtowns I've lived near and it consistently ended up hurting businesses. I know I don't like the one ways that are already there.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:52 PM

891 posts, read 3,053,139 times
I would love it if they change the one way streets back to two way! This would be a tremendous boon to the businesses downtown and might even lure a grocery store downtown.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM

216 posts, read 645,733 times
I don't have a horse in this race (bad pun) but Mrs. IRV and me spent three days there this summer. Like the one way streets here in my town, out-siders are always bewildered (and I was)...and locals seldom even think about it.

Enjoyed our time there by the way.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:31 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Right now, with High Street blocked at Limestone, it would be helpful to have more two-ways. Back in the day, Main Street was two way, but Vine, while two-way, was a very narrow street, as the railroad tracks took up much of the space in that area. Downtown has changed its character and some of its configuration since the streets were two-way (and even then, I think High Street was one-way as far back as about 1959 or so). It's certain that traffic would be terrible for several weeks initially, until people became accustomed to the change, and I expect fender-benders would also be on the rise for a while. But after people became familiar with the change, who knows?

Also, downtown was a major shopping destination until the mid 1960s. I can remember two-way traffic crawling along Main Street - but it provided time for window-shopping. While downtown is more interesting now than it was ten years ago (other than for the lost block/mudhole), it's no longer a shopping district as in the past. I would hope the studies being conducted will take all these factors into account, for it's not really possible to compare today's downtown with yesterday's. What brings people downtown now isn't shopping, that's certain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area