Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 10,227 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I will be moving to Lexington in July to attend dental school. I am looking for a one bedroom/one bath apartment under $700. Safety is a HUGE factor since I'll be living alone. Also, I would prefer if the apartment came with a w/d. Being close to campus would be nice but being about 15-20 minutes away isn't a huge concern (I currently live in Birmingham, AL which has TERRIBLE traffic!)

From my initial search I have found a few apartments. I would really appreciate any input that anyone can offer on the following:
Townley Park
Fayette Crossing
Raintree Apartments
Shillito Park
Forest Creek Apartments
The Mansion
Merrick Place
The Village Luxury Apartments
The Racquet Club
Lakepointe Apartments
Westchester on the Circle

Also, how are the winters in Lexington? I've heard a lot about the terrible ice storms. I am currently living in AL and we have very mild winters. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 PM

I also just found out about Colts Run so add that to the list as well!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:26 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,573,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypaige03 View Post
Hello all! I will be moving to Lexington in July to attend dental school. I am looking for a one bedroom/one bath apartment under $700. Safety is a HUGE factor since I'll be living alone. Also, I would prefer if the apartment came with a w/d. Being close to campus would be nice but being about 15-20 minutes away isn't a huge concern (I currently live in Birmingham, AL which has TERRIBLE traffic!)

From my initial search I have found a few apartments. I would really appreciate any input that anyone can offer on the following:
Townley Park
Fayette Crossing
Raintree Apartments
Shillito Park
Forest Creek Apartments
The Mansion
Merrick Place
The Village Luxury Apartments
The Racquet Club
Lakepointe Apartments
Westchester on the Circle

Also, how are the winters in Lexington? I've heard a lot about the terrible ice storms. I am currently living in AL and we have very mild winters. Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
The Racquet Club is nice, not sure about the others listed. I do know there are nicer apartments in Lexington though. Such as Beaumont Farms, Bridle Creek, Fountains at Andover.

Fountains at Andover might be in your budget and is in a very good area and close to everything, very close to Hamburg Pavilion (major shopping center). On the corner of Man O War Blvd and Todds Rd. Here's the website: http://www.fountainsapthomes.com/

Winters in Lexington aren't bad, since you're from AL I guess it will be cold for you. It's cloudy and rainy a lot during winter. Ice storms are rare. If the area gets over 4 inches of snow at one time, that's a big deal.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:13 PM

969 posts, read 2,820,359 times
I have some clients that are buying a house. They live in Colt's Run right now. They are really big on safety, so I guess it must be okay there. It is close to where I live. I like it out here. Also, my cousin lived in the Fountains and I had another client that lived there until he bought a house. No complaints from either.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Congrats! You're moving from a real (albeit small, but still urban and somewhat vibrant) city to the biggest suburban small town in America. At least Lexington is cleaner, but Birmingham has MUCH better suburbs and nightlife. In fact, I'm taking a mini-trip to B'ham in six weeks and quite looking forward to it!

Otherwise, read InLondon's answer above; I concur with it--except to say that even TWO inches of snow is a BIG deal in Central Kentucky.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Eclectic... Have you ever been to Birmingham? Yeah it's a nice city, but I'd take Lex over it anyday.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:58 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I checked out the Fountains at Andover online and they look nice so I've definitely added them to the list. Right now I'm really liking Colts Run. The only thing that I'm hesitant about is that it has both gas and electric. How are the gas prices for the area? I've heard that KY has very good electricity rates.

And Eclectic.... Birmingham is a great city to live in and I've loved it here. Yeah it's kinda dirty and as I said before traffic is terrible but it's just the right size. Lexington reminds me a lot of my hometown Montgomery (smaller and more suburban) which isn't a bad thing at all. It will take some adjusting to though. I will miss the Birmingham nightlife! But since I'll be in school I won't have much time for a social life anyway!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:37 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,106,704 times
Gas is VERY cheap as long as you're mindful of it. As for nightlife, Lexington has a decent nightlife, you just have to know where to go. The nightlife isn't marketed to tourists but there are places downtown that you can surely go out to.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:34 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Eclectic... Have you ever been to Birmingham? Yeah it's a nice city, but I'd take Lex over it anyday.
I can't tell you how many times I've been to Lexington. I've been to it enough to know exactly where every stoplight and landmark is along Nicholasville Road, and to know that from New Circle to Nicholasville proper that road should be a 8-10 lane limited-access freeway. Plus, I've done some partying there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleypaige03 View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I checked out the Fountains at Andover online and they look nice so I've definitely added them to the list. Right now I'm really liking Colts Run. The only thing that I'm hesitant about is that it has both gas and electric. How are the gas prices for the area? I've heard that KY has very good electricity rates.

And Eclectic.... Birmingham is a great city to live in and I've loved it here. Yeah it's kinda dirty and as I said before traffic is terrible but it's just the right size. Lexington reminds me a lot of my hometown Montgomery (smaller and more suburban) which isn't a bad thing at all. It will take some adjusting to though. I will miss the Birmingham nightlife! But since I'll be in school I won't have much time for a social life anyway!
Lexington is one of the cleanest cities (or, in this case, overgrown suburban small towns) in America. Even the worst areas of Lexington have minimal amounts of graffiti compared to the worst areas in Louisville and Cincinnati, and even some more desirable areas in many parts of NYC and L.A.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:32 PM

37 posts, read 93,063 times
I lived in Birmingham for 6 years and now live in Lexington (with a stint in Florida in between). This was my first winter in Lexington, and it was rough. Admittedly, that's coming from someone who has lived in Florida for the last 10 years, but there is substantially more snow here than Birmingham and colder temps. You'll survive it, if I did! Good luck w/your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area