Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:36 PM

6 posts, read 29,836 times

Advertisements

Hi, My family will be moving to Little Rock this Spring. We may be buying a house in the Heights/Hillcrest area. My 13 yr. old has played lacrosse for a few years here in Florida. I've been trying to find a lacrosse program in Little Rock and not having any luck. He would be going to Pulaski Middle school then to Central High. I don't think either school has a team. Does anyone know of a lacrosse league in the area? Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:54 PM

564 posts, read 2,342,030 times
You may have to search for city league teams. Lacrosse is not really a hot sport in High Schools in Central Arkansas. Now, if your kid played football, you'd be in business, haha.

I'm sure that with as big of a town as LR is, there have to be some youth leagues in the city somewhere. School teams are another story. Hopefully someone can find something for you.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:20 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
I don't know about lacrosse in Little Rock, I've never heard of it...I know Hendrix in Conway has a team (collegiate) and I think U of A does too...so they're getting kids from somewhere. Calling the Hendrix athletic department may be your best bet. I'm positive none of the public schools have it - maybe Pulaski Academy, or Episcopal Collegiate School might know of something, although I doubt they have school teams.

as undertheironsea said, it just isn't a sport for Arkansas...we do love our football, basketball, and soccer, though...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRW3072 View Post
Hi, My family will be moving to Little Rock this Spring. We may be buying a house in the Heights/Hillcrest area. My 13 yr. old has played lacrosse for a few years here in Florida. I've been trying to find a lacrosse program in Little Rock and not having any luck. He would be going to Pulaski Middle school then to Central High. I don't think either school has a team. Does anyone know of a lacrosse league in the area? Any information will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey!! My kid played for a couple of years too in MD and I'm as plugged into to lax in the LR area as anyone could be. There are no youth programs right now. As Sam said, there is a scholarship program at Hendrix College and this will their inaugural season (Official Site of Hendrix College Athletics). UofA in Fayetteville has a club team as does Harding College in Searcy. Coach Lichtig at Hendrix told me a youth program is on his agenda. He has a contact for another DC area family that would like to see one started in Central Arkansas. We have a few seeds and one will be very successful when we all get together and get it going. I've got a bit of lax coaching experience but really only enough to address the basics.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:48 PM

6 posts, read 29,836 times
Yes, I just got an email from Coach Lichtig with the contact information for the other DC family. I have no coaching experience at all with Lax. I grew up in New England where Lax is bigger than football. At least it was when I was in high school. My knowledge of the game is from watching games in high school and watching my son. We would be willing to help in any way we can. However, I do not have a clue as to where to start. We just made an offer on a house in Little Rock today. If it works out we'll be moving the end of Feb.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRW3072 View Post
Yes, I just got an email from Coach Lichtig with the contact information for the other DC family. I have no coaching experience at all with Lax. I grew up in New England where Lax is bigger than football. At least it was when I was in high school. My knowledge of the game is from watching games in high school and watching my son. We would be willing to help in any way we can. However, I do not have a clue as to where to start. We just made an offer on a house in Little Rock today. If it works out we'll be moving the end of Feb.
Great! I'll send you a direct message with my contact info. I won't have enough time available to be a lead person but like yourself, I'm willing to do all that I can. Since the vast majority of kids would be new to the game, I think I could probably be ok with coaching in the early going so long as someone from Hendrix was able to come out from time to time and maybe help me put in some new drills and games and stuff.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:41 PM

1 posts, read 5,820 times
Default Northwest Arkansas Lacrosse

NWA has a high school and youth lacrosse team. They got together with the YMCA and formed a club. Little Rock can do the same thing. Here is an article from High School Sports the Magazine. High School Sports The Magazine - Lacrosse in NWA?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 5,753 times
Default NWA Lacrosse

I started the program in NWA and have several contacts of players from LR who want to play. We would love to see a program there too. US Lacrosse has been instrumental in helping us get started as well as the U of A. I know they have a player who will be in LR this summer and wants to help get things going.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vemcmur View Post
I started the program in NWA and have several contacts of players from LR who want to play. We would love to see a program there too. US Lacrosse has been instrumental in helping us get started as well as the U of A. I know they have a player who will be in LR this summer and wants to help get things going.
Hey vemcmur, I've been putting together a list of contacts down here to work on that as well. Recently ran into a teacher from Conway who moved here from NY and is working to get some students involved so it's about to take off. All we need is to get everyone together in the same room and decide on when where and how and I think it will fly well. Send me a direct message when you see this and I'll get you my email address so we can get things moving.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 5,703 times
I have been in contact with USLacrosse and have secured a "New Start Program" certificate from them for "Central Arkansas Lacrosse Association".

Have met w/ Hendrix lacrosse coaches, too. Looks like quite a few people are waiting for something to get started. We'll I have taken the first steps to getting LAX into AR. Whoever is interested he helping me get this great sport introduced and start playing... contact me.

Last edited by ARLAX; 06-11-2008 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area