Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Did you.. you know.. actually read my post?

yes, i .....actually did, hence my comment-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:30 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
yes, i .....actually did, hence my comment-
your comment had nothing to do with my post...

Old 06-23-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Look, we need to talk.

Just because you feel like you're entitled to your huge Lexus SUV and super fast sports car, doesn't mean you can totally disregard everyone else on the road.

• Your turn signal was not an optional feature that they accidentally put in your car. USE IT WHEN CHANGING LANES AND TURNING!!
  • Just because there's a few inches of extra space in between two cars doesn't mean you can barrel roll your way into it (without a turn signal might I add) and expect everything to be OK.
  • You aren't the only driver on the road. Stop moving all the way to the right on a single lane road and make a left turn.
  • You guys complain about motorcycles zipping in and out of traffic, but it's 10x worse when a huge Escalade is doing it. Knock it off.
going back to my original response about your complaining about the li suv drivers-what part of your original post was not a complaint??

Old 06-23-2010, 01:02 PM

where do I single out LI SUV drivers?

I guess you are a LI SUV driver that can't drive properly? Must have hit a nerve

Old 06-23-2010, 01:12 PM

[quote=kayfouroh;14742120]where do I single out LI SUV drivers?

1. no nerve hit thanks-more secure than that-

2. you start your complaining with "just because you feel like your entitled to your huge lexus suv...." before your list of grievances

3. this is a long island forum in which you also say you drive 20 minutes to work-so unless your participating in this forum from another part of the country-you are talking about long island-if you are not and you dont live here, then complain on the forum in which you live

4. I believe it is I who has hit the nerve with you

Old 06-23-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyla View Post
where do I single out LI SUV drivers?

1. no nerve hit thanks-more secure than that-

2. you start your complaining with "just because you feel like your entitled to your huge lexus suv...." before your list of grievances

3. this is a long island forum in which you also say you drive 20 minutes to work-so unless your participating in this forum from another part of the country-you are talking about long island-if you are not and you dont live here, then complain on the forum in which you live

4. I believe it is I who has hit the nerve with you
1. Well I'm glad.

2. Did you read past Lexus SUV? I also mention sports cars. If I mentioned sports cars first, would I be singling out sports cars?

3. Who said I was not talking about LI?

4. Negative.

Old 06-27-2010, 08:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
and you are a perfect driver? How many accidents and tickets have you received in the past 20 years?
I've received NO ticket ever, in all my 30+ years of driving. How about you?

In all my years of driving, I've had a total of 3 accidents:

1. Guy not paying attention, swerved into my lane and hit me head on

2. Guy not paying attention, I was stopped in a traffic jam, rearended me

3. Female not paying attention, ran a stop sign, broadsided me.

And I agree with all the complaints above and can probably add another 10 or 15. Long Island drivers have got to be the worst drivers on the planet!!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:56 PM

339 posts, read 933,741 times
This thread has been pretty interesting. I work in a hospital ER in the evening, usually the busiest time. It's amazing the number of car accidents that come in on a beautiful crystal clear day. And a lot of them are rear end collisions and low speed accidents (like in a parking lot or something like that).

I remember a driving instructor telling me a long time ago that 99% of accidents are avoidable. I still believe that.

The bottom line to me is that people don't pay attention of their surroundings. I see it from working in a hospital and I see it on the roads. People don't read and/or follow signs. I've had people come up to me in the ER and ask me where the exit is, meanwhile there are two signs with arrows that say PARKING LOT/EXIT two feet from me. That stuff doesn't bother me at work. But obviously it's much different on the roads.

Just my $.02 for whatever it's worth.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM

88 posts, read 249,233 times
jf2737, IMO, you hit the nail on the head- people are too distracted and rushed. They are so used to instant gratification and constant stimuli that they simply don't have the intellectual capacity to drive defensively. They have only enough capacity to process their single impulse to get where they are going as fast as they can. It would be too taxing to think four or five steps ahead to deal with traffic, to banish impulsive decisions, to even comprehend how to use a turn signal while driving. Just last month on 25A I came up to a bus with its red lights flashing, stopped to pick up a student. Per the law, I stopped a good distance behind the bus. A woman in a Saab came racing down the road. When she saw my car stopped, she swerved into the right shoulder to pass me and stopped only when I laid on the horn. This happened within seconds. She then started to scream obscenities at me and the bus driver through her open window and attempted to peal out after the bus had pulled away. In her opinion the bus driver and I were obviously in the wrong for stopping on 25A for less than two minutes total.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
Some jerk in a huge SUV was tailgating me today on the Southern State Pkwy. I was doing 60 (speed limit is 55) and this imbecile was right on my bumper and then had the nerve to start flashing his bright lights. I took the opportunity to let up off the gas and take it down to 55mph and tapped on my brakes a few times to let him know to back off. He eventually passed me and went on speeding down the parkway ---- moron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island