Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 11:29 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,882 times

Advertisements

My wife and I went to see Toy Story 3 at the Island 16 in Holtsville last night. We don't get to go to the movies more than 4-5 times a year, so I don't know how long this has been going on, and usually we go to the movie theater in Stony Brook.

During the "pre-show" they now have employees offering waiter service. They scream out for you to raise your hands if you want them to bring you food from the concession stands, then come and collect your money, and then a runner comes with the food. This was annoying, but it didn't bother me to much until....

They kept doing it through the previews AND the mini-cartoon that Pixar always shows right before the main feature. I always enjoy those small movies, but not last night.

They were still doing it AS THE MOVIE started. Finally, everyone, and I mean everyone, started screaming at him to get out and the movie was on. The guy actually threatened to call security on anyone who was yelling at him. The 2 runners were standing on the stairway for the stadium seating right next to us, and were talking loudly to each other.

I found this unbelievable. Waiter service at the movies, and doing it while the movie was on? We won't be going back there any time soon. It's bad enough dealing with people who talk during the movie, but to have theater employees doing it is completely unacceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:48 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Welcome to the 21st century. I was also at Same theater last night with my son watching toy story. The Island 16 in my opinion is one of the best theaters on Long Island. It is clean, the staff is friendly, and most importantly they show their appreciation to all U.S service men and women.

The food choices are very good and having an on scene bar and grill gives it points.
the arcade isn't half bad either.

You obviously saw Toy story in the directors theater. What that means is for a slightly higher fee you can be waited on right up until the movie starts. You also get to pick your seats. A lot of people appreciate this option because they can reserve a spot in advance and not have to worry about rushing to the movie and waiting in line at the concession stand.

The Island 16 was also showing Toy Story in 3-D and normal.

Next time you embark on a journey to see a movie a bit of prior planning and research will save you the headache that you encountered and make your trip much more enjoyable. Times have changed and if your not prepared you may be disappointed.

me? I don't like the 20 minutes of commercials and previews. some are good but it gets old but such is life.

Oh, awesome movie. Seriously, I didn't expect it to be good and quite honestly I think it was the best one done in an excellent manner. Something you don't see much anymore IE: sopranos, lost etc...

Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Yuck. I live near that theatre and avoid it if possible. Rip off tickets, always crowded, and unless I go I always have some talker through the movie. I usually see flicks at the theatre on portion in Lake Grove.

Old 06-27-2010, 05:32 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Yuck. I live near that theatre and avoid it if possible. Rip off tickets, always crowded, and unless I go I always have some talker through the movie. I usually see flicks at the theatre on portion in Lake Grove.
You must be talking about the Regal theater in Lake Ronkonkoma. Portion Road does not go through Lake Grove.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:30 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
You must be talking about the Regal theater in Lake Ronkonkoma. Portion Road does not go through Lake Grove.
Probably just trolling.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:17 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Correct sir. Always liked that one better, and now its a much quieter theatre. Rarely have more then 20-30 people even on busy movie weekend openings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Probably just trolling.
Yes, trolling about a movie theatre....

Old 06-29-2010, 07:17 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Default hmm

If you dont like the waiters dont get the directors tickets. Just get the regular tickets.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Island 16 and Loews Stony Brook are my favs. Ofcourse I am talking local.
Usually the Directors Hall is okay, looks like you got a bad apple (some ticked off students playing pranks ? or doing the dare maybe ?)

The only thing I hate abt the movies is the ridiculous prices for food.... I mean C'mon.... $10 bucks for a popcorn and drink ? jeez !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island