Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,475,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
As a school custodian for a long time I can only laugh at a couple of these comments. In ten years our building has become 30-40% hispanic. The district has had to hire a half dozen dual language teachers,a half dozen spanish speaking paras,a spanish speaking psychologist who split between two buildings,a spanish social worker(split)and a translator. That's over a $500,000 in salaries alone just for children of illegal immigrants. Then we have Special Ed. Yes,I feel very sorry for some of these children but some of them do not belong in the school. We have one who requires a special ed teacher,a fulltime para,a full time nurse and she gets Pysical and Occupational therapy. We've had to install air conditioners not only for her but for a dozen others over the past fews years because their IEPs state breathing issues.District has been forced to install elevators for students because library is on second floor of school.Special ramps for wheelchairs to get into cafeteria etc. That list goes on.
The building I am in was constructed 40 years ago and initially had 50 parking spaces with enrollment of 600+ students.We now have over 90 spaces yet student enrollment is less.Think about that.
As for eliminating public schools? That's a great idea.Let's just have parents homeschool their kids. Kids will be taught how to write like the illiterates many of their parents are and they will be educated on how to blame everyone for their failures.
You want to fix schools? Simple. Teacher /Student ratio of 25.1 with the reinstitution of corporal punishment. Gym is baseball,football,basketball where there are winners and losers not the sissy games they play now because losing causes demoralization.BS. No special programs,no special lunches,no special needs.Cut the BS and millions will be saved.Ok....I'm done
No problems with the one-shot deal wheel chair ramps, but the rest hits a point I made in another thread: schools are there to learn, they aren't extensions of a psych hospital or a rehab facility. Thats stuff parents and their health insurance should be paying into. Not my taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM

152 posts, read 399,921 times
Education has become a secondary function of public schools. Quick story on how out of touch some school boards are with reality. A recent SB meeting was a discussion & vote on weather or not to provide a totally discretionary service to 2 HS kids. Two pompous board members give long winded & rambling politically correct speeches on why the SD should provide it and proceeded to vote yes. Luckily the other board members voted no and the measure was defeated or else it would have opened up a slew of other requests. But the sad thing was after the vote a taxpayer asked the two "yes" people if they knew the dollar cost of providing said service. They both stumbled, mumbled looked through paperwork and basically admitted that they had no clue!

Old 09-06-2010, 10:57 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,272,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
The building I am in was constructed 40 years ago and initially had 50 parking spaces with enrollment of 600+ students.We now have over 90 spaces yet student enrollment is less.Think about that.
As for eliminating public schools? That's a great idea.Let's just have parents homeschool their kids. Kids will be taught how to write like the illiterates many of their parents are and they will be educated on how to blame everyone for their failures.
You want to fix schools? Simple. Teacher /Student ratio of 25.1 with the reinstitution of corporal punishment. Gym is baseball,football,basketball where there are winners and losers not the sissy games they play now because losing causes demoralization.BS. No special programs,no special lunches,no special needs.Cut the BS and millions will be saved.Ok....I'm done
The part in bold had me laughing. No kidding!

I agree with the gym part, not so much the corporal punishment and special needs. I think just strict discipline would do it without the hitting, and I see no point in taking away something like ramps.

Better yet, just hire a bunch of nuns. They stopped doing corporal punishment by the time I went to school, and they still had everyone all under control. No Ritalin necessary.

Well, wait. Let me edit this. Maybe corporal punishment in extreme cases. Anyone who went to St. John's in the early 80s remembers the effectiveness of Mr. Jordan picking up a smart-mouth football player by the shoulders and pinning him to the lockers. You didn't mess with Mr. Jordan after that.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
A few years ago my friend has a son who needed an auditory device so he could hear better in school. It took the school over a year to find him one that was compatible with one that another child in the class had. That is a disgrace. The child has only 10% hearing in one ear. Since he got it, he is doing great.

By the way, it had to be compatible with little Eduardo's device.

I honestly think that if every single parent had to pay $25 per child per school at registration, and then have that money only go to that particular school, it would help.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:08 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
A few years ago my friend has a son who needed an auditory device so he could hear better in school. It took the school over a year to find him one that was compatible with one that another child in the class had. That is a disgrace. The child has only 10% hearing in one ear. Since he got it, he is doing great.

Why is that the responsibility of the school district and not the respomsibility of the child's parents/guardians?

Quote:
I honestly think that if every single parent had to pay $25 per child per school at registration, and then have that money only go to that particular school, it would help.
Ridiculous secular-progressive-liberal Leftist claptrap.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,314,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Insurance can cover different things. I myself hold medical, dental, and vision even though I never used the vision and rarely hit the dentist.

Autism, hard to follow you on that. Plenty of kids that I've worked with were "autistic spectrum" and have recieved anything from OT/PT to psych treatment.
Are they receiving the OT/PT and psych specifically because of autism or because of other symptoms? For example, some kids with autism also have physical disabilities or mental retardation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Either way, its not within the confines of the educational institution to treat these diseases, thats for medical professionals. School didn't become a second insurance policy for kids.
It's not and I don't know much about why they do it, but I believe it has something to do with school districts being mandated by the courts to provide an "equal" education to all kids, including those with special needs, so in order to do that, often the kids with special needs have to be accommodated with more services. Anybody else who knows more, feel free to chime in.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:

Did your friend try and get the device through health insurance? I know a person who has hearing loss in one ear and tried to get a hearing aid through health insurance (at two different jobs; two different plans) and was told it was not covered and she had to buy it herself.

Old 09-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Why is that the responsibility of the school district and not the respomsibility of the child's parents/guardians?

Ridiculous secular-progressive-liberal Leftist claptrap.
Maybe because whatever "system" they were using to help hearing impaired kids in the classroom had to have special devices that were compatible?

Old 09-07-2010, 12:22 PM

748 posts, read 2,889,215 times
Is there any school district anywhere in NY state that has done this? Sounds like a great way to be different, and some people might actually like it. If each child gets a voucher for $12k to attend a school of their choice, then many parents might actually move to the area and embrace the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There seems to be only one way to stop this insanity:

Each school district should lay off all their administrators and all their faculty, sell all the school buildings and give each student in the district money to attend a school district, public or private, of their choice. That would reduce the annual school property tax bill for sure.

After laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Newly formed private schools will bid for many of the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and they will interview and hire many of the teachers laid off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,693,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Is there any school district anywhere in NY state that has done this?
There may be; some time ago, I read about a school district in Maine that does this, not having and school buildings or teachers itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: