Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,505,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Since NY labor contracts not grounded in fiscal reality and a pension program that is not able to fund itself drive a very large portion of my "tops in the country" property tax rates...I would beg to differ.
The problems came from corporation greed, too low a tax rate on corporations, and illegal immigration causing a strain on state and local finances. Again it has nothing to do with public employees.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,290,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I guess you live in a different world than most. Please share a little more about your specific situation. Did you live alone and support yourself when you decided to so bravely walk out on your job? I bet you have a nice cushion from some other source which allows you the flexibilty to be so arrogant. That is all I have to say about that.
I'm glad that's all you have to say about it, because here's where you join TDNY back on the third page of this thread and bow out. The answer is yes, I support myself, and no, there are no "cushions" from any other "source."

I would recommend an oral surgeon to help you remove your foot from your mouth but silence is golden.

Toodles!

Last edited by Yzette; 09-21-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: Make that third page.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes in many ways they/we did it to our selves

think about this...not more than 25 years, working at a career for 20 plus years and getting a pension was normal....then came the Yuppies...they didnt want pensions...they wanted to be "upwardly" 'mobile', so pensions went away and 401ks became the norm........30 years ago...the medical insurance was called hospitalization, it was the norm... but workers wanted an all encompassing plan, one that would cover all doctors visits....now you pay $100 a week, so that you are covered for your once a year doctors visit.....

the private sector is so CUT-THROAT (and back stabbing) its a wonder anyone would want to work at it.
Someone on a now-deleted thread went on about how he supposedly makes $200K a year and is "making" his own retirement. Yep, a lot of broke Baby Boomers said the same thing before the bottom dropped out. We see what happened to their 401ks.

Don't get me started on health insurance. The very concept strikes me as uncivilized. Every other developed nation has a nationalized system. Only in the U.S. is it okay for one person's cancer to be another person's second home in the Hamptons.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,252,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I'm glad that's all you have to say about it, because here's where you join TDNY back on the third page of this thread and bow out. The answer is yes, I support myself, and no, there are no "cushions" from any other "source."

I would recommend an oral surgeon to help you remove your foot from your mouth but silence is golden.

Toodles!
So impressive, you are much better than most. What are a pleasure.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
So impressive, you are much better than most. What are a pleasure.
Not at all. Believe me, it's not easy. My point is that people are never out of options. Some options are better than others, some are easier, some are more lucrative, some are more secure, some are risky. But no one is ever out of options.

You said you like your job, and that is great. But other people hate theirs--not get annoyed with the usual PITA nonsense, but hate--yet do nothing about it. Instead they dread going to work every day, complain about how rough they have it, and then point to someone else who has "more" and take it out on them, without having the first notion of what the other person actually does on the job. It's very easy to talk about what you think someone does and does not deserve if you don't know what they do all day.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:32 PM

57,409 posts, read 26,370,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
The problems came from corporation greed, too low a tax rate on corporations, and illegal immigration causing a strain on state and local finances. Again it has nothing to do with public employees.
Part of the issue is public employees that pay nothing into their retirement system. That has now been corrected but the problem is going to cause an increase of taxes for some time to cover the pension system, still not sure who decided that police don't have to pay into the pension system and health care like most employees.

The politcians seem unwilling to do much about correcting the problems with the pension system, seems like it would make more sense to ask the public employees to pay in more rather than raise taxes.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:23 AM

1,095 posts, read 1,505,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Part of the issue is public employees that pay nothing into their retirement system. That has now been corrected but the problem is going to cause an increase of taxes for some time to cover the pension system, still not sure who decided that police don't have to pay into the pension system and health care like most employees.

The politcians seem unwilling to do much about correcting the problems with the pension system, seems like it would make more sense to ask the public employees to pay in more rather than raise taxes.
Because cops have a contract agreed to by the county and the union. The unions already gave back pay and benefits. The problem is the county cries poverty whether the economy is good or bad. They are professionals at hiding money come contract time.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,370,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Because cops have a contract agreed to by the county and the union. The unions already gave back pay and benefits. The problem is the county cries poverty whether the economy is good or bad. They are professionals at hiding money come contract time.

The county is in fact in terrible shape, I know the county police don't pay anyting into their pension system not sure about the non-police county workers.

Most employees contribute 4 to 8% into there retirement system, even NY State employees are now required to contribute 3%. Too late to do anyting now but the county should negotiate this on the next contracts.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 AM

939 posts, read 1,847,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The county is in fact in terrible shape, I know the county police don't pay anyting into their pension system not sure about the non-police county workers.

Most employees contribute 4 to 8% into there retirement system, even NY State employees are now required to contribute 3%. Too late to do anyting now but the county should negotiate this on the next contracts.

There's nothing to negotiate. Pension payment rates are set by the state -- not by contract. The state has been making adjustments to the pension system since 1973 and now has 5 tiers. Tier 5, enacted last year, requires 3% contribution for all members for all years of service. It also raises the retirement age and years of service required to retire. As far as I know, all new hires (including police and fire) are supposed to be put in Tier 5 and will contribute to the system for their entire careers.

Local politicians have no say in how much employees will contribute to the pension system. The state will tell them (the jurisdictions) how much they will be paying into the system based upon the number and salaries of their employees. Legislation (on the state level) is required to make substantive changes to the retirement system.

The health insurance issue, on the other hand, has nothing to do with the state and the employee share of the cost is the subject of local contract negotiations.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 AM

Default Once more, with feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
There's nothing to negotiate. Pension payment rates are set by the state -- not by contract. The state has been making adjustments to the pension system since 1973 and now has 5 tiers. Tier 5, enacted last year, requires 3% contribution for all members for all years of service. It also raises the retirement age and years of service required to retire. As far as I know, all new hires (including police and fire) are supposed to be put in Tier 5 and will contribute to the system for their entire careers.
[FONT=Arial Black]
Local politicians have no say in how much employees will contribute to the pension system. The state will tell them (the jurisdictions) how much they will be paying into the system based upon the number and salaries of their employees. Legislation (on the state level) is required to make substantive changes to the retirement system.
[/FONT]

The health insurance issue, on the other hand, has nothing to do with the state and the employee share of the cost is the subject of local contract negotiations.
Thought I'd dress it up for you, as I can't upload MP3 files of it in English, Spanish, French, German, Swedish, Japanese, Mandarin, and Plutonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island