Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:47 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPL View Post
what about school off with all those jewish holidays?
Schools are not closed because of religious observance.

Schools are closed for safety reasons because, in many districts, administrators and teachers, who are observing the Holy Days, will not be in school.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post

How much should Jewish property owners pay and not receive equal access to a hot meal their children can eat?
Oh my! This is the same garbage I hear from conservative christians who are opting out of public schools because they want everthing their way. Public schools are a shared burden and hopefully they provide a decent education. I have no kids in school or seniors, special needs, or any other person using the public systems. Can I opt out of paying that portion of my taxes?

Old 09-14-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
But just as I wouldn't want my tax dollar to pay for teaching intelligent design/creationism in public school I would not want the extra tax burden to maintain a kosher facility if the kitchens could even be upgraded to meet them.
As a Jew, I do not want the extra tax burden of supplying meals to some children that my children are prevented by our privately held beliefs from eating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Again if a person has a specific dietary practice then pack a lunch.
Then, how about treating all the children equally and they all bring in a lunch from home.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
As a Jew, I do not want the extra tax burden of supplying meals to some children that my children are prevented by our privately held beliefs from eating.

Then, how about treating all the children equally and they all bring in a lunch from home.
I'll make you a deal you don't have to pay for the meal and I don't have to shoulder the burden of every momza(sic) that takes a private house makes it a Synagogue or yeshiva and becomes tax exempt.

My kids never cared for the school lunches and opted to bring it every day.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 PM

To the Op, sorry got off track...have a good night.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:14 AM

496 posts, read 1,251,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
No one is requesting special food? Why should the school have to worry about every single child's "needs" (because really, a Jew or a Muslim isn't going to explode after eating Ham & Cheese) when we ALREADY complain about high school taxes. You want your kid eating something you are sure is X, you give them lunch.

I do not remember singing or even learning Silent Night in any grade.

Halloween is a Christian holiday? I didn't know dressing up like a pirate and begging for candy was in the bible.
if you're not jewish or Muslim then you really can't say anything like the above comment.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:01 PM

294 posts, read 610,209 times
Quote:
Halloween is indeed a Christian holiday: Halloween is the contraction of All Hallows Eve, the evening of All Hallows Day, which is now known as All Saints Day. (St. Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day are also Christian holidays).
None of those days are recognized as official holidays by any NYS public school that I'm familiar with and none of them carry any religious connotation whatsoever in a public school setting. As I recall, in-school "celebration" of those days was minimal at best, particularly when you got a little older and weren't trick or treating or exchanging Valentine cards.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
None of those days are recognized as official holidays by any NYS public school that I'm familiar with and none of them carry any religious connotation whatsoever in a public school setting.
While these holidays may not be "official", observant Jews do not celebrate them, because, from an observant Jewish view, they are considered Christian holidays, and Jews do not celebrate Christian holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
As I recall, in-school "celebration" of those days was minimal at best ...
Usually, kindergarten teachers encourage children to come to school in Halloween costumes, which, from an observant Jewish view, is part and parcel of celebrating a Christian religious holiday.

(Yes, I realize that many non-observant, secular Jewish children do wear Halloween costumes and do go trick-or-treating. They also eat cheeseburgers and do many things that observant Jewish children do not do.)

Old 09-15-2010, 01:55 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Default SIDI White Vertigo Air Motorcycle Boots **NEW** Size 47

Quote:
While these holidays may not be "official", observant Jews do not celebrate them, because, from an observant Jewish view, they are considered Christian holidays, and Jews do not celebrate Christian holidays.

Usually, kindergarten teachers encourage children to come to school in Halloween costumes, which, from an observant Jewish view, is part and parcel of celebrating a Christian religious holiday.

(Yes, I realize that many non-observant, secular Jewish children do wear Halloween costumes and do go trick-or-treating. They also eat cheeseburgers and do many things that observant Jewish children do not do.)
So Jews don't celebrate non-Jewish holidays, huh?

Do Jews that work in non-Jewish offices work on Christmas Eve and Christmas day? Or do are the off like everyone else? I mean, I don't take off for Rosh Hashanah but the Jewish people in my office do not come in. Fair's fair, right?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:05 PM

294 posts, read 610,209 times
Quote:

The bottom line is that they are not obligated to participate in anything if it goes against their strict religious beliefs. You can't keep everybody happy 100% of the time in a public school setting given the myriad religions, ethnicities, value systems, etc. that we encounter.

I would personally recommend a private school that better meets the needs/values of the student and their family if they are truly troubled by these types of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island