Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 08:49 PM

148 posts, read 475,461 times

Advertisements

[quote=captkaos10;16821613]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebydesign View Post
Thanks! But this is only for Nassau; I could not find one for Suffolk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:54 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Question...

Say you close on a home right before the new year. Will the buyer still get the STAR for that year? What if you close after the deadline for submitting the STAR application?

As I mentioned in an earlier post, STAR does not transfer with the sale of the house.
Nassau County has two tax bills, one for school taxes and one for general taxes, and they are issued at different times. Suffolk County does not issue tax bills directly - the different Towns do, and it's one bill only; Of course then there are Village taxes which are separate and another story entirely

It the seller has already paid taxes for the remainder of the then current tax year, the buyer can benefit from the existing STAR exemption because the buyer reimburses the seller for the taxes paid.

Example:
I'm in the Town of Huntington. Taxes are assessed from December 1st through November 30th. The first half is due at the beginning of January and the second half in May.
Let's say you buy my house and we close in July 2011. I've already paid the taxes with STAR for my second half in May of 2011, so you'd be reimbursing me my already paid portion through November 2011. In this example you benefit from my STAR exemption for the period from closing date through November 2011. That would be part of your closing costs, one reason closing cost can be high.

After closing, you should file for STAR right away, because it's easy to forget later on.
Anyway, in the above example, you'd be applying with a deadline in March 2012 for the tax bill period December 2012 - November 2013. The tax bill for December 2011 - November 2012 will be without STAR.

Hope I didn't make the explanation too complicated

Old 11-30-2010, 11:39 AM

185 posts, read 457,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
As I mentioned in an earlier post, STAR does not transfer with the sale of the house.
Nassau County has two tax bills, one for school taxes and one for general taxes, and they are issued at different times. Suffolk County does not issue tax bills directly - the different Towns do, and it's one bill only; Of course then there are Village taxes which are separate and another story entirely

It the seller has already paid taxes for the remainder of the then current tax year, the buyer can benefit from the existing STAR exemption because the buyer reimburses the seller for the taxes paid.

Example:
I'm in the Town of Huntington. Taxes are assessed from December 1st through November 30th. The first half is due at the beginning of January and the second half in May.
Let's say you buy my house and we close in July 2011. I've already paid the taxes with STAR for my second half in May of 2011, so you'd be reimbursing me my already paid portion through November 2011. In this example you benefit from my STAR exemption for the period from closing date through November 2011. That would be part of your closing costs, one reason closing cost can be high.

After closing, you should file for STAR right away, because it's easy to forget later on.
Anyway, in the above example, you'd be applying with a deadline in March 2012 for the tax bill period December 2012 - November 2013. The tax bill for December 2011 - November 2012 will be without STAR.

Hope I didn't make the explanation too complicated

Makes sense... ok now forget STAR. Lets say I buy a house on 12/31. Am I stuck with the current assessed value for 2011 or will the town/county re-evaluate the taxes and apply the correct rate?

i.e. House is currently taxed assessed at $575,000 which equals $12,000 for 2011 tax year. The home is currently valued and purchased at $275,000 therefore the taxes would be significantly lower. Am I stuck paying the $12,000 for the first year?

Elke - Thanks for all the great help btw! I really appreciate it!

Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadidonato View Post
Lets say I buy a house on 12/31. Am I stuck with the current assessed value for 2011 or will the town/county re-evaluate the taxes and apply the correct rate?

i.e. House is currently taxed assessed at $575,000 which equals $12,000 for 2011 tax year. The home is currently valued and purchased at $275,000 therefore the taxes would be significantly lower. Am I stuck paying the $12,000 for the first year?

Most likely .

With that kind of value disparity, it sounds like a short sale or other distressed property, i.e. Estate sale, in which case the sales price isn't usually taken at "face value".

Timing here can be very important either way. In Suffolk, different Towns may have different cut-offs for re-assessment of the coming year's taxes. What you can do, is go to the appropriate Tax Assessor, show your documentation, and ask for a review outside the regular grieving period. If you're lucky, they may make an adjustment without you having to go through the normal grieving procedure. However, they are not obligated to grant the reduction retroactively...

Also, please keep in mind that when you grieve in May of 2011 for your RE tax assessment for 2012, they're looking at value in July of 2010. Those are the dates for the Town of Huntington - won't guarantee that it's the same in other Towns in Suffolk County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island