Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:23 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBucks View Post
Thank you for reminding me that not only do I despise the cost of living here - but also the arrogant attitudes of the typical Long Islander. I think I'm going to move up my listing date and try to get out of here sooner!
I'm an optimist and dare say arrogance is not typical of all Long Islanders - maybe just some on this forum...

It certainly isn't the most affordable place, but for me, Long Island is still the best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:58 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,589 times
Your assumption is arrogant (apparently based on the one place you wanted to move to and the story of one person who lives down south) that nothing beats a NY education and you are somehow above everyone else outside of NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelingBanjos View Post
Kind of interesting. She has friends who all moved away to college and stayed away and did good for themselves. This was after they were raised in NY though.

The OP of this thread grew up down south and read her story.

I don't think raising your kids in NY puts a burden of disadvantage on them when they grow up. Quite the contrary.
Quote:
"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere".
I think you may find that quite the opposite is true of this often quoted phrase.

Unless you're talking about a job in a field where NYC represents the very top of the market like media/broadcasting, Broadway or running a large multi-national bank, (where from what I've seen all of these positions are not all occupied by LIers), I think it maybe easier for an average qualified person to get a job in NYC than elsewhere. There are so many companies with so many jobs in NYC, the average every day person has a better shot at getting an average job than in another locale where there are probably more qualified people per opening than in NYC. It is sheer numbers.

[quote=DuelingBanjos;17092566]I was going to move my family to Pa. We have a friend who moved down there before us. We researched all of the schools in the areas we liked and determined that they would be good enough for our kids. Our friend warned us to stay here, though, when she said that all the younger people in that area were dumb as dirt. School stats being whatever they were, as New Yorkers we know dummies when we see them. A town full of dummies = crappy schools and kids with no real shot. /QUOTE]

You really can’t see how this is not arrogant? Really? Did it occur to you to check out other areas that may have better schools? I'll tell you right now, if you move to this area that with the condescending attitude that it is a "town full of dummies", you will not have a happy experience.

Quote:
My game plan: Get them the best NY education possible, both academic and streetwise. Make sure they travel plenty and see the world so they aren't locked down on this sandbar. I'm leaving as soon as they finish school. I'll do everything in my power to make them know there's more to the world than NY. But there is no better place to prepare someone for life than NY, IMO.

If they can make it here, good for them. Not everyone is struggling to make ends meet in NY. Survival of the fittest.
Not everyone outside of NYC is struggling either.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Kind of interesting. She has friends who all moved away to college and stayed away and did good for themselves. This was after they were raised in NY though.

I don't think raising your kids in NY puts a burden of disadvantage on them when they grow up. Quite the contrary.

I was going to move my family to Pa. We have a friend who moved down there before us. We researched all of the schools in the areas we liked and determined that they would be good enough for our kids. Our friend warned us to stay here, though, when she said that all the younger people in that area were dumb as dirt. School stats being whatever they were, as New Yorkers we know dummies when we see them. A town full of dummies = crappy schools and kids with no real shot.

My game plan: Get them the best NY education possible, both academic and streetwise. Make sure they travel plenty and see the world so they aren't locked down on this sandbar. I'm leaving as soon as they finish school. I'll do everything in my power to make them know there's more to the world than NY. But there is no better place to prepare someone for life than NY, IMO.

If they can make it here, good for them. Not everyone is struggling to make ends meet in NY. Survival of the fittest.
I can see the advantage in growing up as a LI'er. For one thing, there are a heck of a lot less dirtbags on LI than out there in "the real America." If you think you know what "white trash" is and you live on LI, newsflash: you don't have a CLUE what true "white trash" is. Honestly. You aren't going to find a lot of toothless meth-heads in trailer parks whose most cherished ambition is to get on the rolls of SSI and live in a house trailer with the rent partially paid by Section 8 on Long Island. Although of course "the real America" has plenty of law abiding and intelligent hard working people out there, the dirtbag quotient of these less densely populated areas is much higher than on LI so I can give a "+1" to Long Island on that count for sure.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:45 AM

155 posts, read 458,035 times
I'm reading through this thread and it makes me embarrassed of being a fellow long islander. The arrogance is just overwhelming. Long Island is nice place to live and its the place that I choose to live but lets face it, it does have its fare share of undesirable areas. Actually undesirable areas are a growing trend on LI that seems to be gaining momentum. There is a trend of people moving west and that is obvious from the recent announcement of the loss of NY seats in Washington due to demographic shifts toward out west. There are tons on very very nice places to live with a excellent quality of life beyond the shores of long island. Don't get me wrong, I think LI is still a great place to live but other options outside of NY are also excellent with even better offerings of quality of life amenities.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:13 PM

Default Can't I be Arrogant About ONE Thing?

I am usually not arrogant about LI, particularly when it comes to failing to recognize its shortcomings and pitfalls! If anything, I am accused on C-D of being too negative about LI and complaining too much.

But just look at this show, which features some of the major prison complexes all throughout the nation. In particular, take note of the demographics of the inmates:

Lockup: MSNBC's prison documentary series- msnbc.com

Then tell me if Nassau or Suffolk County jail has a lot similar to that (neo nazis, white supremacist gangs, 1% bikers, meth addicts and cookers, tattooed - including whites of the eyeballs - freaks, career convenience store robbers, rabid anti-U.S. government militia members, etc., etc.) or if the upstate NY prisons are full of similar LI'ers.

Honestly. We don't.

Let us at least take pride in something ... a much smaller proportion of white trash criminals on LI!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 12-22-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 12-22-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Which, IMHO, is a direct result of a far superior educational system.
Which goes hand in hand with parents who care about their kids' futures and educations and who can set a decent example for their kids.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:00 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:

I was going to move my family to Pa. We have a friend who moved down there before us. We researched all of the schools in the areas we liked and determined that they would be good enough for our kids. Our friend warned us to stay here, though, when she said that all the younger people in that area were dumb as dirt. School stats being whatever they were, as New Yorkers we know dummies when we see them. A town full of dummies = crappy schools and kids with no real shot.

No one cares where you went to elementary school, middle school and HS when you go out in the world. And if you think people from other parts of the country don't go to college you're deluding yourself. They do. And many, many states have a better state school system than NY, so you can save a few bucks too. If you go to SUNY Oswego and apply for a job at IBM in N.C., do you think the hiring manager is taking you over a candidate who went to Chapel Hill, everything else being equal? They're not, trust me.

I'm sure your kids will be thrilled to be told, once they've established all their friends and favorites on Long Island, that it's a terrible place to live and they should move now that they are adults.

PS Good luck unloading your house in 20 years when the taxes are 3 times what they are now.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
PS Good luck unloading your house in 20 years when the taxes are 3 times what they are now.
That's the scary part of staying on LI!!!!

PS: Are you sure it will take as long as twenty years to triple the property taxes? The way things are going, it could be much sooner ... and now back to the regularly scheduled complaining ... arrogance break is over.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM

^^^ No, I don't think it's arrogance...I think LI is scary because people will think it's going to always be the way it always was. If you move to most suburbs in America, you aren't going to find neo-nazis, meth addicts, etc. People who leave LI aren't moving to trailer parks - they are usually moving to a much better way of life. And honestly the country parts of NC, where I live, are no different than driving thru - say - Yaphank. I grew up in Suffolk it's absolutely "just like home" here, even outside the subdivisions.

I think most Long Islanders are in denial - not arrogant - because most of them are beholden to NYC jobs. We are trying to avoid our children getting sucked into that.

As far as property taxes - oh boy. Ours were probably going up to about $15K in GC this next year. No way. Sorry.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
And if you think people from other parts of the country don't go to college you're deluding yourself.

Did I say that? Show me where please?

Show me one worthwhile job where anyone has EVER been asked where they got their basic education. Your original post states that the eduational opportunities on Long Island make all the difference in the world. THe only thing that matters in this world is where you went to college and beyond. If you grow up in East Bumf*ck and went to Princeton, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island