Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:17 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

Drove by there many times but never stopped..it was always on the way back home from a day wandering around Northport. Should have stopped in. I never like to see good non-chain places like this going out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
yup... you can't just have a discussion around here...yet another thread ruined by the need to correct/educate
Don't worry, your post and mine will be deleted for being off-topic soon enough.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:23 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Don't worry, your post and mine will be deleted for being off-topic soon enough.
and only ours

Old 12-23-2010, 08:25 AM

41 posts, read 178,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
That's very sad news.

The OP is correct, it's in Northport and your post has nothing to do with the thread topic. You've probably never even been to this restaurant.

WRONG WRONG WRONG. Smoking Sloe's is in Fort Salonga. I've been there. The MAILING ADDRESS is Northport, NY 11768, however, it is NOT in the Incorportated Village of Northport. It's located in the HAMLET of Fort Salonga.

The small strip mall that Smoking Sloe's is located in is EAST of the intersection of 25A and Waterside Ave (north side of 25A) and Vernon Valley Road (south side of 25A).

Walter is correct. No need to berate the man. His maps are helpful.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 AM

325 posts, read 737,357 times
It is baffling to me why someone would take the time to look up the "exact" municipal borders of a restaurant they have never been to. Baffling what the relevance to the topic is. It's also beyond condescending to the OP to "correct" them when Smoking Sloe's is/was located in Northport, NY.

To keep things on topic...Pork is delicious. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to eat it!

Old 12-23-2010, 08:30 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
not enough bbq restaurants on LI.

oh sorry, I mean the lower east quadrant of the state of new york in the country of the united states of america.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM

325 posts, read 737,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal workshop View Post
WRONG WRONG WRONG. Smoking Sloe's is in Fort Salonga. I've been there. The MAILING ADDRESS is Northport, NY 11768, however, it is NOT in the Incorportated Village of Northport. It's located in the HAMLET of Fort Salonga.

The small strip mall that Smoking Sloe's is located in is EAST of the intersection of 25A and Waterside Ave (north side of 25A) and Vernon Valley Road (south side of 25A).

Walter is correct. No need to berate the man. His maps are helpful.
Nuance, nuance, nuance.

Reading comprehension, reading comprehension, reading comprehension.

Nobody said it was in the Incorporated Village of Northport. The OP simply said it was in Northport...which it is. Its mailing is Northport, NY. No need to berate the OP by "correcting" his/her completely accurate post. Hamlet and village borders have absolutely nothing to with the topic. The restaurant is located in Northport.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM

276 posts, read 988,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Nuance, nuance, nuance.

Reading comprehension, reading comprehension, reading comprehension.

Nobody said it was in the Incorporated Village of Northport. The OP simply said it was in Northport...which it is. Its mailing is Northport, NY. No need to berate the OP by "correcting" his/her completely accurate post. Hamlet and village borders have absolutely nothing to with the topic. The restaurant is located in Northport.

Amen.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:17 AM

158 posts, read 379,875 times
Thanks for all of the replies. I also enjoyed the comments about the location of Smokin Sloes. I lived in Fort Salonga for 10 years and owned property in Northport Village. My house in Fort Salonga was east of Bread & Cheese Hollow Road, was in the KP school district, but my PO was Northport 11768. There are many streets that are considered Northport, but are not in the incorporated village. For example the section near Crab Meadow park just west of Waterside. Those houses are in Northport, but not in the village.

Matt

Old 12-23-2010, 10:43 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
According to the NYS Geographic Glossary, only places in the Village of Northport are in Northport: regardless of a place's mailing address and absent colloquial usage, there is no other Northport than the Village of Northport.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may be of some help in understanding the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island