Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM

276 posts, read 990,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the NYS Geographic Glossary, only places in the Village of Northport are in Northport: regardless of a place's mailing address and absent colloquial usage, there is no other Northport than the Village of Northport.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may be of some help in understanding the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

But can you answer why the restaurant closed down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 11:00 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,709,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
But can you answer why the restaurant closed down?
From the favorable comments, posted earlier in this thread, about the food that was served at this establishment, I would hazard a guess that it might have something to do with the owner's personal situation.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
I prefer Yankee bbq as well. We have another famous bbq joint here called Big Daddy's. The closest thing to southern BBQ on LI I think, it's in East Massapequa. Cajun/Creole/New Orleans style Restaurant 1 Park Ln # A
Massapequa, NY 11758
But I prefer Smokin Als. The address on Bdaddys is wrong though. It technically is East Massapequa. In fact, it's not anywhere near the hamlet of Massapequa.

How this might relate to Sloes? One thing I noticed with Smokin Sloes and the Northport Zip code, only about 8k households out of 22k that have a Northport mailing address, are actually in the village of Northport. So 65% of places that have a Northport zip are actually in hamlets that WG mentioned (not Northport Village).

In fact, Sloes address: 847 Fort Salonga Road, 11768 :: CDP: Fort Salonga

It's probably correct to say it is in Fort Salonga. But I could see how Northport is correct here too. Sloes is near the village I guess.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&sa...ed=0CB0QnwIwAQ << Zoom out on this map. Big Daddys is clearly in East Massapequa.

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-23-2010 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-23-2010, 12:08 PM

325 posts, read 737,874 times
Quote:
According to the NYS Geographic Glossary, only places in the Village of Northport are in Northport: regardless of a place's mailing address and absent colloquial usage, there is no other Northport than the Village of Northport.

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may be of some help in understanding the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.
No. People in Northport aren't geographically confused. They live in Northport, whether it's the incorporated Village of Northport or the larger Northport community. You are spreading misinformation.

One of the first things I tell my undergraduate journalism students is "don't believe everything you read on the internet and be wary of supposed "experts!""

The "NYS Geographic Glossary" and the grammatically incorrect "On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2" that you constantly refer to are nothing more than internet posts that you wrote with information gleaned from the 23-year-old 4th Edition of the New York State Local Government Handbook. It's unpublished bad information that you pass off as gospel. The current 6th Edition of the Local Government Handbook (which I have read and understand) is from 2009 and is available here. The up-to-date edition does not contain a glossary and largely contradicts your supposed "expertise." It in no way whatsoever suggests that a postal city/town is not a "real" community. In fact, it doesn't even mention zip codes or postal communities. If anything, the document implies that Fort Salonga is not a "real" community, as it specifically states that "the term “hamlet” actually has no meaning under New York law" (p. 67).

I encourage all to read it, as it has some great information about how the state's municipal divisions operate along with historical background and context.

Last edited by h-tonian; 12-23-2010 at 01:13 PM..

Old 12-23-2010, 12:12 PM

939 posts, read 2,313,152 times
Quote:
From the favorable comments, posted earlier in this thread, about the food that was served at this establishment, I would hazard a guess that it might have something to do with the owner's personal situation.
oh... you know roger?

Old 12-23-2010, 12:42 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
The current 6th Edition of the Local Government Handbook (which I have read and understand) is from 2009 and is available here.
Nice.... Walter, can you confirm that this is indeed awesome ?

I think I am going to go through that publication, it should be informative for a hamlet-ly challenged guy like me.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,842 times
Quote:
Thanks Pequaman. Will check it out next time my son and I get the urge for BBQ.

Like I said, Sloe's had good pulled pork. Pretty good ribs. Nice owner and a very casual homey dining room. Nothing mind blowing, but authentic southern BBQ is a rarity around here (although I'm partial to Yankee BBQ). I believe it was the last in the Huntington area since (the much better) Hog Heaven closed a couple years ago. Sloe's was almost always empty whenever we went. I think a lot of people (like my wife) think BBQ is so bad for you that it's not worth eating. I'm squarely not in that camp!
Nothing wrong with letting out the inner-carnivore we have in us. I wouldn't eat it everyday, but a few times a month can't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Nice.... Walter, can you confirm that this is indeed awesome ?

I think I am going to go through that publication, it should be informative for a hamlet-ly challenged guy like me.
I'm going to give the publication H-T posted a look tonight as well. For now, I would say though that Walter is definitely "more" correct (especially when you consider examples like Big Daddys mentioned a few posts ago).

Old 12-23-2010, 01:49 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,478,261 times
I'm in NP quite a bit, sad I didn't know about this place, I would have thrown some of my considerable BBQ business his way. Back to Smokin' Als and Bob-I-Ques I guess.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,709,403 times
Quote:
No. People in Northport aren't geographically confused. They live in Northport, whether it's the incorporated Village of Northport or the larger Northport community. You are spreading misinformation.
It is you that is spreading misinformation: people may live in the greater Northport community; but, unless they live in the Village of Northport, they do not live in Northport, as only those who live in the Village of Northport live in Northport.

Quote:
One of the first things I tell my undergraduate journalism students is "don't believe everything you read on the internet and be wary of supposed "experts!""
Self-flagellation???

Quote:
If anything, the document implies that Fort Salonga is not a "real" community, as it specifically states that "the term “hamlet” actually has no meaning under New York law" (p. 67).
True, unincorporated areas, hamlets, have no self-government and are governed on an at-large basis by the town(s) it is in.

Officially, within a town, unincorporated areas are grouped together as areas outside of villages.

Quote:
I encourage all to read it, as it has some great information about how the state's municipal divisions operate along with historical background and context.
Yes. All should read it, as well as the hard copy of the 4th Edition of the New York State Local Government Handbook, which may be available at your local library.

Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM

939 posts, read 2,313,152 times
Quote:
It is you that is spreading misinformation: people may live in the greater Northport community; but, unless they live in the Village of Northport, they do not live in Northport, as only those who live in the Village of Northport live in Northport.

Self-flagellation???

True, unincorporated areas, hamlets, have no self-government and are governed on an at-large basis by the town(s) it is in.

Officially, within a town, unincorporated areas are grouped together as areas outside of villages.

Yes. All should read it, as well as the hard copy of the 4th Edition of the New York State Local Government Handbook, which may be available at your local library.
hey wally ... now answer my question... you make a supposition about the owner's personal situation implying that you know something... and i'm sure those that drink your c-d koolaid wouldn't question your post.. but do you know the owner? do you really know his situation???

hint: be careful of your answer, because i DO know the owner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island