Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 03:38 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
... you make a supposition about the owner's personal situation implying that you know something...
I made no supposition and implied nothing: I hazarded a guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 03:47 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
I made no supposition and implied nothing: I hazarded a guess.
so in summary:

you really had nothing to add to this thread

got it

Old 12-23-2010, 04:04 PM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
Quote:
It is you that is spreading misinformation: people may live in the greater Northport community; but, unless they live in the Village of Northport, they do not live in Northport, as only those who live in the Village of Northport live in Northport.
No. Those that have a Northport, NY address live in Northport, NY. It's really not that complicated. Again, we're not talking about municipal boundaries, we're talking about a community and (specifically on-topic) a restaurant called Smoking Sloes (which you have never been to) that was once located in Northport, NY. Delicious pulled pork. It's a shame you'll never get to try it.

Quote:
Self-flagellation???
No. I cited a current official government document published on an official government website to support my argument. You cite your own posts often with the strong implication that they are somehow official government documents. The government information you do cite is 20+ years out-of-date.

Quote:
True, unincorporated areas, hamlets, have no self-government and are governed on an at-large basis by the town(s) it is in.

Officially, within a town, unincorporated areas are grouped together as areas outside of villages.
So hamlets are something people "colloquially" refer to? Interesting.

Quote:
Yes. All should read it, as well as the hard copy of the 4th Edition of the New York State Local Government Handbook, which may be available at your local library.
Why would you encourage people to read a 23-year-old document that is two editions out-of-date and no longer official? If it's for historical research that would be okay, but we're discussing the present. Nothing in the present suggests that postal city/towns are invalid communities. Nothing suggests saying that Smoking Sloes is/was in Northport, NY is "wrong."

Well, I'm off to Huntington Village for dinner! Hope to continue the discussion later tonight.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM

276 posts, read 988,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Well, I'm off to Huntington Village for dinner! Hope to continue the discussion later tonight.
Are you sure you know where that is exactly? Especially since it's not a real village. Apparently you won't find your way there.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:03 PM

401 posts, read 944,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
No. Those that have a Northport, NY address live in Northport, NY. It's really not that complicated. Again, we're not talking about municipal boundaries, we're talking about a community and (specifically on-topic) a restaurant called Smoking Sloes (which you have never been to) that was once located in Northport, NY. Delicious pulled pork. It's a shame you'll never get to try it.

No. I cited a current official government document published on an official government website to support my argument. You cite your own posts often with the strong implication that they are somehow official government documents. The government information you do cite is 20+ years out-of-date.

So hamlets are something people "colloquially" refer to? Interesting.

Why would you encourage people to read a 23-year-old document that is two editions out-of-date and no longer official? If it's for historical research that would be okay, but we're discussing the present. Nothing in the present suggests that postal city/towns are invalid communities. Nothing suggests saying that Smoking Sloes is/was in Northport, NY is "wrong."

To both Mr/Mrs. Rights: I wouldn't want to be your spouse

Old 12-23-2010, 09:55 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
BBQ on the Island has to be like bagels in the South.

If you all like BBQ c'mon down and enjoy the many types of Southern BBQ. And don't forget the hush puppies, different types of slaw and Brunswick Stew we have all around.

I'd hazard the owners situation was more money going out than paying customers coming in. Happens to the best of restaurants.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:03 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
If you all like BBQ c'mon down and enjoy the many types of Southern BBQ.
There certainly are many types of Southern BBQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-barbecue.html

Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
There certainly are many types of Southern BBQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...-barbecue.html
bahahahahahahaha

The only real bbq.

Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Anywhere you go in the South, them there are fightin words.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:43 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Anywhere you go in the South, them there are fightin words.
Oh great, now Walter's going to post the exact boundary of the Mason-Dixon line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island