Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
DeadPool1998, I'm also not allowed to give you any more rep points. Thanks for making my morning!

Hahaha!!! You guys crack me up almost as much as DeadPool! I don't suppose you coordinated this to prove some kind of point, did you?

1. Smokin' Al might want to consider that the last 3 BBQ restaurants to open in the greater Huntington township all failed (Sloes being the latest), suggesting a local BBQ restaurant is probably a risky venture.

Let me guess, these very influential local businessmen are "geographically illiterate," right?
Deadpool was witty and pretty funny in that post, I must admit. But hopefully the idea of a simple correction of the exact hamlet/CDP/Village/City of a location, might just be a useful bit of info to the average reader. Nothing was coordinated. I would say that yes, a lot of LI residents and businessmen are not fully educated on the geographical complexities of Long Island. Not everyone is from LI and most people that have lived here their entire lives aren't even up to par on the census/CDP relevance of a location.

I think you are correct, that a BBQ establishment will not succeed in the Huntington/Northport area because of the issues quoted below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Im sure the Food Nazis do have an impact on good ole BBQ restaurants but is it possible that the rents in that area are just too much for an eatery to afford.
Quote:
My wife thinks I'm going to keel over with a coronary if I have one pulled pork sandwich once every 2 months, and I think she's fairly representitive of the more health concious population around here.
Quote:
5. Nothport/Huntington business can be clubby,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 12:28 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
But hopefully the idea of a simple correction of the exact hamlet/CDP/Village/City of a location, might just be a useful bit of info to the average reader.

Yeah.... I doubt that.

Old 01-20-2011, 12:53 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
Default News Flash

New sign in window reads Louie's Place coming soon so who knows what it will become???? will it be named Louie's Place in Northport or Huntington township or??

Old 01-20-2011, 01:12 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
New sign in window reads Louie's Place coming soon so who knows what it will become???? will it be named Louie's Place in Northport or Huntington township or??
louie's place of northport/fort salonga/town of huntington/northport fire district/northport-east northport school district

Old 01-20-2011, 01:47 PM

325 posts, read 737,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Im sure the Food Nazis do have an impact on good ole BBQ restaurants but is it possible that the rents in that area are just too much for an eatery to afford.
Yes, the rents are high, but it's a restaurant town. Eateries flourish here, and not just the expensive ones. For example, Faz's Tex Mex has been in business for 20 years and I don't think I've ever paid more than $10 for a meal there. There are dozens of cheap eats take-out places that do quite well. Any business is dependent on a fickle public to want their product, and it seems people in greater Huntington just aren't into BBQ these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Deadpool was witty and pretty funny in that post, I must admit. But hopefully the idea of a simple correction of the exact hamlet/CDP/Village/City of a location, might just be a useful bit of info to the average reader. Nothing was coordinated.
Here we go again...

No. It has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the average reader of THIS thread (and most threads). I cannot stress enough how non-relevant the colloquial hamlet location and federal CDP designation of Smokin' Sloes is to ANYONE. I think any mentally stable person of average intelligence with a 6th grade reading comprehension can understand this - whether you're from LI or not.

You changed the conversation (brought it further off-topic) by bringing up town and village codes. IMO, this is just silly, and I tried to stress this in my last post. Smokin' Al will need a lawyer to deal with this, not you. As a business owner, I know that there are many layers of governmental and administrative red tape Smokin' Al will have to deal with. This isn't news to anyone.

Quote:
I would say that yes, a lot of LI residents and businessmen are not fully educated on the geographical complexities of Long Island. Not everyone is from LI and most people that have lived here their entire lives aren't even up to par on the census/CDP relevance of a location.
I really have to admit, and I don't say this in a disrespectful way, that I am now truly convinced that you do not understand what you are talking about. Geography and CDPs have about as much to do with running a business on Long Island as geology or meteorology.

I'm now thoroughly convinced that you don't understand what a CDP is. CDPs are administrative districts related to the decennial U.S. Census. They serve no other purpose than to collect statistical data. Beyond this, they basically don't exist and have nothing to do with local business or residents. Does the Census affect businesses and people in a given place? Absolutely. It influences federal funding and is likely to redraw many congressional districts this year. That federal money does not go to the colloquial hamlet or the administrative CDP. It will go to local governments - mainly the Town of Huntington and a significantly smaller portion to its incorporated village governments. Please remember, in the Town of Huntington, our incorporated village governments are mainly concerned with minor quality of life codes. The big stuff is the purview of the town and county.

As for this odd idea that people are somehow disenfranchised by geographical illiteracy - well, it's an odd idea. I don't know if you are a homeowner or business owner, but those of us that have invested hundreds-of-thousands of dollars in Long Island sort of get how it works. My tax bill itemizes the governmental and administrative districts for me pretty clearly. It's an especially odd idea to insert when discussing whether a BBQ restaurant has closed, especially one that you've never been to located in a community you are not a member of.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
louie's place of northport/fort salonga/town of huntington/northport fire district/northport-east northport school district
Don't forget the water district! Without his vital information printed on its menus, signage, and ads customers will never find the place and Louie will likely suffer the same fate as Sloe.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Don't forget the water district! Without his vital information printed on its menus, signage, and ads customers will never find the place and Louie will likely suffer the same fate as Sloe.
true... if i don't know before hand if the glass of water they put on the table (that i'm probably not going to drink anyway) comes from scwa or greenlawn water, i refuse to go

edit: ...and before chapter and verse is quoted, smokin' louies is in fire protection dist #1 under contract with nfd. of course, that is of utmost importance that you mention that if your house/business is in flames.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
true... if i don't know before hand if the glass of water they put on the table (that i'm probably not going to drink anyway) comes from scwa or greenlawn water, i refuse to go

edit: ...and before chapter and verse is quoted, smokin' louies is in fire protection dist #1 under contract with nfd. of course, that is of utmost importance that you mention that if your house/business is in flames.
Thank you ENFD240! When planning to visit a restaurant, I always like to check its fire district first (after checking its CDP, of course). I also like to check the stove 3 times, tap the light switches 4 times, and count to 4.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:50 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
What is the latitude and longitude of this fine establishment?

What about its height above sea level?

How many footsteps away from Rocky Point is it?

Standing at the establishment, what time could I experience sunrise and sunset?

I also need to know the approximate location from the center of the earth.

Thanks!!!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
What is the latitude and longitude of this fine establishment?

What about its height above sea level?

How many footsteps away from Rocky Point is it?

Standing at the establishment, what time could I experience sunrise and sunset?

I also need to know the approximate location from the center of the earth.

Thanks!!!
don't forget high tide at the nearest body of water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island