Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 29,507 times

Advertisements

I am moving back to LI from Florida. I grew up in western Nassau so I am not too familiar with Suffolk. From doing research and reading threads I think we have decided on the East Northport-Northport area. I have two preschool age children. Are there any areas to stay away from(too much traffic etc...)?

Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 AM

85 posts, read 415,519 times
The Jericho Tpke area has the most traffic.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
If you are talking about Northport-East Northport School District, then you won't be close to Jericho Turnpike anyway. There are a few "busy" roads in the area, but none more then 2 lanes. I live in East Northport and have raised my two children here. It's really a nice family oriented town. If you can be a little more specific about what you are looking for, I may be able to offer some guidance.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:09 PM

We are looking for a town with a real community feeling. I grew up in Floral Park and loved the community feeling with schools, church, tree lighting etc... I loved being able to walk to Tulip Ave. for the bank, bakery, pharmacy etc. We have been in Florida for 4 years and I miss that way of life. My husband wants to move to Suffolk county. From reading threads it seems like either East Northport or Northport is what we are looking for.We are coming up to NY next week and we're going to start to look at houses.I've been looking online at a lot of houses but am not familiar with the area. I wasn't sure if some areas are better than others.I don't want to live on a very busy street but I would also love to have someplace to walk to with my kids that isn't too far.My children are 2 and 4 so schools are important also.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:40 PM

Either East Northport or Northport would fit your criterea. Northport has a bit more of a small town feeling to it and a more quaint downtown, but is also more expensive. The main business district of East Northport is on Larkfield Road, so you wouldn't want to live right on the road, but a few blocks off might fit the bill. You may want to look in the "numbered streets" as they are all walking distance to the stores, playgrounds, library, etc. What is your price range? As you have probably noticed, we have homes from about $400,000 up to the millions in this area.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Our price range is in the 600's. Thanks for the input. Please add anything else that will help.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:52 PM

For the 600's you could be in Northport Village or the more expensive parts of East Northport. There are lots of nice houses in that price range. In East Northport, you could get a nice colonial on about half an acre of property. These homes are located on the East side of Larkfield Road. The kids would (eventually) attend Fifth Avenue Elementary School which is a very good school. You really need to spend a little time hear to see what your options are and get a feeling for the place. But it sounds to me like you would like it.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:24 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Both are nice but I would choose Northport village, more small town feel. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with East Northport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg23 View Post
From doing research and reading threads I think we have decided on the East Northport-Northport area.

For those who may not be familiar with East Northport:

East Northport is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the northeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Smithtown town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Village of Northport and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the east by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga and the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown (the Huntington/Smithtown town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Greenlawn and the Hamlet of Centerport.

The Hamlet of East Northport has a different border than does the "East Northport, NY 11731" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of East Northport and a place can have other than an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of East Northport): places that have an "East Northport, NY 11731" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of East Northport are in the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Commack; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of East Northport with a "Northport, NY 11768" and "Commack, NY 11725" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 03-22-2008, 10:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Northport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg23 View Post
From doing research and reading threads I think we have decided on the East Northport-Northport area.

For those who may not be familiar with Northport:

Northport is a village (incorporated in 1894) in the northeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Northport in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Northport Bay, the Village of Asharoken and the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the east by the Hamlet of Fort Salonga; on the south by the Hamlet of East Northport; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Centerport and Northport Harbor.

The Village of Northport has a different border than does the "Northport, NY 11768" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address and not be in the Village of Northport): places that have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address that are not in the Village of Northport are in the Hamlet of Eatons Neck, the Village of Asharoken, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga, the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Centerport.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island