Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 11:12 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Does anyone have the exact address of the proposed WC? Gpsma wrote something about they were going to remove 4 homes from the site?

South of Sunrise you rarely hear the train. North you have to be right up against it pretty much. I agree they need to attract business, but if this is right up against 4 backyards, a 24-hr WC would destroy the sanity of the people at those properties.

Gas stations seem to be on a serious decline. 4 or 5 within a 2 mile radius closed by me in the last 2 years. I think it had to do with the costs of installing new tanks to comply with some new law.
I don't really know the details.....for all I know this could very well be the one time that crapping all over a worthwhile development is prudent (taking out 4 homes in a residential area is kind of ridiculous, if that's true).....

....but I've had enough of Kate Murray, her delusional cadre of paranoid idiots and the brainless masses who keep electing them crying wolf about "ruining neighborhoods", "the wrong element", "Applebees will cause too much traffic", "not having the infrastructure to support...." - if you don't have the infrastructure to support something, than WTF are you doing? Why do we even have a Town of Hempstead? It's primary function is apparently telling people they cannot build things. Wouldn't most people be happier pocketing the several hundreds or thousands of dollars each year and getting someone else to pick up their trash? It's unreal.... not like I was singing her praises beforehand, but after the whole Lighthouse disaster, I'll never give Kate-the-Great the benefit of doubt ever again.

Plenty of new/thriving gas stations by me....maybe they could learn a thing or two from the Town of Oyster Bay handbook!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:27 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I don't really know the details.....for all I know this could very well be the one time that crapping all over a worthwhile development is prudent (taking out 4 homes in a residential area is kind of ridiculous, if that's true).....

....but I've had enough of Kate Murray, her delusional cadre of paranoid idiots and the brainless masses who keep electing them crying wolf about "ruining neighborhoods", "the wrong element", "Applebees will cause too much traffic", "not having the infrastructure to support...." - if you don't have the infrastructure to support something, than WTF are you doing? Why do we even have a Town of Hempstead? It's primary function is apparently telling people they cannot build things. Wouldn't most people be happier pocketing the several hundreds or thousands of dollars each year and getting someone else to pick up their trash? It's unreal.... not like I was singing her praises beforehand, but after the whole Lighthouse disaster, I'll never give Kate-the-Great the benefit of doubt ever again.

Plenty of new/thriving gas stations by me....maybe they could learn a thing or two from the Town of Oyster Bay handbook!
I looked it up:
Google Maps

that's the block it was going to be on. Looks like a sort of dumpy corner, body shop and corner house + tiny house behind it and I believe one more abandon house. It actually looks like a good spot, there's an Applebees already across the street. If they block the back of the proposed WC like Applebees is blocked off here with trees along the entire block<

so I think it could have been done without much loss to QOL. That is a really busy block anyway, so many other stores (an STS, a professional bldg it looks like on the corner). The 24-hr issue was probably the main one that cost them this spot.
So I think it would have been a good spot. Would you have voted for it if you lived right on the adjacent block? Tough one here, I would probably go with no because of the 24-hr issue.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:25 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
WC is not just any other restaurant.
It definitely attracts a derelict element after the sun goes down.
I would not want one close to my house.

Old 01-09-2011, 02:58 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
How many Starbucks do they have in that town? One more wouldn't hurt!
Actually 0. It does have 5 7-11's though.

Old 01-09-2011, 03:12 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Means Just That View Post
I don't blame the Bellmore community for not wanting a Castle in their neighborhood. WC seems to attract drunk morons.
You need alchohol in your system to safely comsume wc, the booze dilutes the bad things....

Besides standards must be maintained!...

Old 01-09-2011, 03:42 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I looked it up:
Google Maps

that's the block it was going to be on. Looks like a sort of dumpy corner, body shop and corner house + tiny house behind it and I believe one more abandon house. It actually looks like a good spot, there's an Applebees already across the street. If they block the back of the proposed WC like Applebees is blocked off here with trees along the entire block<

so I think it could have been done without much loss to QOL. That is a really busy block anyway, so many other stores (an STS, a professional bldg it looks like on the corner). The 24-hr issue was probably the main one that cost them this spot.
So I think it would have been a good spot. Would you have voted for it if you lived right on the adjacent block? Tough one here, I would probably go with no because of the 24-hr issue.
Kind of a moot point, because in this case (nor in any case of potential construction within most unincorporated areas) the residents cannot vote on the decision one way or another...

But just for arguments sake, assuming that was the way things worked.....and if I lived there? I probably wouldn't vote. I'd be neutral on it and satisfied with the outcome either way. I love White Castle, but I also like the old house with the row of hedges behind it.....I hate to see classic suburban scenes like that fade away. If it was a vinyl sided hiranch I'd vote for WC haha. And if I lived there and WC did win out, I wouldn't lose any sleep over "losing" the house I happen to like.....that's a great neighborhood back there, it's got a hundred other homes just like that. The potential noise issues or "UNDESIRABLE ELEMENT" factor would never enter my decision process.....if I was concerned about noise, I never would have moved somewhere right next to a major highway and an elevated LIRR branch. The other thing is just stupid....I go to White Castle "after the sun goes down" all the time....I must be a part of that "derelict element" demographic, so obviously no worries there.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:57 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,773 times
I have checked my crystal ball, and the images seem to indicate that the way Kate and TOH have embraced positive development and progress may have an impact in the future....

Old 01-10-2011, 03:31 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I have checked my crystal ball, and the images seem to indicate that the way Kate and TOH have embraced positive development and progress may have an impact in the future....
2025?
Isn't that Terrace ave 2010?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandEddie View Post
What a trite commentary it seems to be, a hamburger joint there on main street Is there no other vent but to rail against White Castle, the chance to wind up in a fast-food
place in the wee hours of a morning without making your first television appearance a Court -TV special, a hole blown through a chest, a "misunderstanding" between rival gangs

or the dripping blood of another sidewalk understanding. I still remember a Cop in the Bronx whom went into WC to buy a burger or two, Some of the "locals" beat him unmercifully,
he bled from mouth, nose and ears. Those whom beat him were exhonorated, it was NYPD who shot and killd him s he satggered out to the parking lot in a daze and drew his weapon.
Yes, those thugs in that White Castle did their best to start this young family man up the darkly final road of death, it was the fellow officers, those young and underscooled "cadets"
that could not seperate the difference between life as it comes and "basic training" in a low-paying job for an agency that protects their own.

We come to this forum, and often hope to be understood by peers, those who often travel those similar roads, feel the same pressures, walk the same roads, cry the same tears.
Few in state incarcatio will hold us in an accounting, but still we seem to fear a presence of helpful honesty when e entertain an idea that perhaps, by our efforts, we just might turn
the neverending tide, change the world and redeem ourselves before we become that consigned box of dust or a porcelain urn, that will decorate a mantle-pace until we're offered up at
a lawn sale for little more than our value as the antiquated pottery, that we're sold for.

As time goes by, we'll all be required to "slim-down". Those who plan to stock their larders with canned asparagus wil be putting a bit more Campbell's bean and bacon soup. I'm
going to have to live with Schaefer beer instead of Bud. My grandchildren are going to get I.O.U's in their birthday cards, I'll be forced to start buying dime bags of pot rather than
quarters or halves. We used to reserve our Sunday afternoon for a sexual encounter, these days we get our sex with Fareed Zakaria, while we see how badly our failing politicians,
are politi-sodomizing us and mainly, how much more that we are willing and able to take. We've all made ourselves into doormats, so why shold we take any exception to being walked on?
Whaaa

Old 01-17-2011, 10:05 PM

12 posts, read 32,525 times
I am happy they banned White Castle from your Long Island town .You folks on Long Island have enough White Castles .White Castle come to Connecticut .Will invite you here in New Haven County along the Post Rd (Route 1)Orange/Milford ,Ct area.

You have alot of Cravers this side of the Sound.

You will do great in Connecticut Come on over plenty of good Commercial locations .

Thanks Belmore Long Island your loss is our gain. Crave On Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island