Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,678,385 times

Advertisements

For GW77

Best

C

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
These areas are safely Upper Class:
Muttontown, Garden City, Upper Brookville, Sands Point, Brookville, Cold Spring Harbor, Lloyd Neck, Lloyd Harbor, Asharoken, Eatons Neck, Nissequogue, Old Westbury, Kings Point, Matinecock, Centre Island, Lattingtown, Oyster Bay Cove, Mill Neck, Laurel Hallow, Head of the Harbor, and Old Field.

Upper Middle Class: Munsey Park, North Hills, East Hills, West Hills, Dix Hills, Manhasset Hills, Manhasset, East Williston, Roslyn Heights, a lot of Great Neck, Jericho, a lot of Syosset, Woodbury, Huntinton Bay, Great River, parts of Stony Brook and Setauket, parts of Northport and perhaps some of East Northport, Centerport, Rockville Center, and Port Jefferson.

These areas can go in different ways depending on how selective the rating criteria, but are for the most part Middle Class: Plainview, Commack, Hauppauge, Smithtown, Half Hollow Hills, East Northport, Albertson, Lynbrook,
parts of Syosset, and Manorville?

Here is a list of what are definitely working class areas:
Levittown, Deer Park, West Babylon, Lindenhurst, North Babylon, most of West Islip North of 27A, Hicksville, Bethpage for the most part, Franklin Square, Selden, Centereach, Lake Grove, Port Jefferson Station, Coram, Ridge, Shirley, Medford, East Patchogue, parts of South Huntington, Mastic, Rocky Point, Sound Beach, Ronkonkoma, Lake Ronkonkoma, Bohemia, Islip Terrace, East Islip north of 27A, Islip north of 27A, Islandia, Holtsville, Farmingville, Holbrook for the most part, Patchogue, North Wantagh, North Bellmore, Massapequa Park, East Meadow, Valley Stream, Long Beach, parts of Mineola, parts of New Hyde Park, Carle Place, East Rockaway, Baldwin, West Hempstead, Farmingdale, parts of East North Port and even parts of Huntington, parts of Manorville, parts of Kings Park.

These areas are very low in class status: Elmont, Hempstead, Uniondale, New Cassel (sp.), Freeport, parts of Glen Cove, East Masssapequa, North Amityville, Copiague, Brentwood, Central Islip, North Bayshore, Huntington Station, Gordon Heights, North Bellport, Roosevelt and Wyandanch at the very bottom.

I know I left out many places so feel free to comment and debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 10:13 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,301 times
I would have to say that Port Jefferson, leaving out Belle Terre, is mostly middle class, though it shares the same zip code. Lake Grove for the most part is middle class, to upper middle class in some areas. Rocky Point/Sound Beach is a tough call as surgeons and mechanics live next door to each other. Though i think even though it's a more affordable part of the north shore, there is somewhat of a north shore mentality as you'll find more uppity people than in say, Selden/Centereach. It's hard to explain, so i would say it runs full spectrum from working class to upper class and everything in between, if that makes any sense.

Last edited by rockypointny; 07-26-2007 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-26-2007, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
I would have to say that Port Jefferson, leaving out Belle Terre, is mostly middle class, though it shares the same zip code. Lake Grove for the most part is middle class, to upper middle class in some areas. Rocky Point/Sound Beach is a tough call as surgeons and mechanics live next door to each other. Though i think even though it's a more affordable part of the north shore, there is somewhat of a north shore mentality as you'll find more uppity people than in say, Selden/Centereach. It's hard to explain, so i would say it runs full spectrum from working class to upper class and everything in between, if that makes any sense.
Have to agree with you on Rocky Point.

Its Land Rovers and Chevy's these days.

People seem to coexist fairly well.

I remember when we hit the Million dollar mark for waterfront.

I said to my wife....there goes the neighborhood.

C

Old 07-28-2007, 06:51 PM

24 posts, read 109,311 times
Default Areas of Long Island

Farmingdale is definitely working class. So are Levittown for the most part and Hicksville. Central Islip is lower income as is Brentwood. Roosevelt, Hempstead and Uniondale are low income, too.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:07 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,643 times
My general breakdown (with a few exceptions):

North of 25A and South of 27A: Upper Cla$$$$

North of Northern State Pkwy but south of 25A, and south of Southern State Pkwy but north of 27A: Upper Middle Cla$$ to Middle Clas$ (the closer to 25A and 27A, the more upper the neighborhood)

Between the Expressway and either of the Parkways (Northern and Southern): Middle Clas$ to Working Class, with pockets of Low Income/High Crime (Hempstead, Wyandanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, etc)

Exceptions to the rules: Garden City, Dix Hills, Woodbury and Plainview which are solid Upper Middle Class with pockets of Upper Class.

Once you get east of where the Southern State and Northern State end, Middle and Working Class areas start to blend together except for the North of 25A/South of 27A one which then changes from mostly Upper Cla$$$$ to a mix of Upper and Upper Middle.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:16 PM

222 posts, read 893,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4StanleyCups View Post
My general breakdown (with a few exceptions):

North of 25A and South of 27A: Upper Cla$$$$

North of Northern State Pkwy but south of 25A, and south of Southern State Pkwy but north of 27A: Upper Middle Cla$$ to Middle Clas$ (the closer to 25A and 27A, the more upper the neighborhood)

Between the Expressway and either of the Parkways (Northern and Southern): Middle Clas$ to Working Class, with pockets of Low Income/High Crime (Hempstead, Wyandanch, Brentwood, Central Islip, etc)

Exceptions to the rules: Garden City, Dix Hills, Woodbury and Plainview which are solid Upper Middle Class with pockets of Upper Class.

Once you get east of where the Southern State and Northern State end, Middle and Working Class areas start to blend together except for the North of 25A/South of 27A one which then changes from mostly Upper Cla$$$$ to a mix of Upper and Upper Middle.

I think that's a pretty accurate assessment...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,110,626 times
So what about all areas south of 27A (specifcally Massapequa, Islip, or bayshore)? What class are they and how do you come up with the "class" status?

Old 07-29-2007, 06:33 AM

I think he means economic status.

Everybody knows you cant buy Class.

C

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 AM

289 posts, read 1,140,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I think he means economic status.
Yes, that's right, sorry I didn't make that clear. Wasn't that what the original poster meant?

Quote:
So what about all areas south of 27A (specifcally Massapequa, Islip, or bayshore)?
They're almost all either Upper Middle or South Shore Upper Class (which is different from North Shore Nassau Gold Coast Upper Class; you can't compare 2 acres in Lattingtown to 1/2 acre in The Moorings but you'll need big bucks to afford either).

Even though Bay Shore between Southern State and 27A is either Middle or Working Class, once you go south of 27A you'll need 1 million or more for any of the waterfront or bayfront houses and the taxes are 12,000 and up.

There are plenty of bayfront or bayview houses south of 27A that are paying 20,000 or more in taxes. IMO if you can afford that you're Upper Class economic.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:31 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Based on Dual Income

Working =90k
Middle =130k
Wealthy=Over 250k
I have to disagree. I hardly consider 250K on Long Island wealthy, nor "upper middle class".

Upper Middle Class = 500K+

Wealthy = 2mil+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island