Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 25,872 times

Advertisements

purchasing a used car from owner but there is no plate.wat can i do?txtxtxtx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
You have to register the car with DMV in order to get a plate. Unlike CA, in NYS the plate does not transfer with the car.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
Oh boy...

I sense...

shades of FLU-SHING.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:17 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,466 times
It is perfectly legal to drive around without a license plate...don't sweat it. If you get pulled over, just tell the cop..."Listen pig, go find a murderer or rapist to bother." He will laugh and send you on your way.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:42 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times
and make sure you say..my name shirley. It usually helps when you identify yourself properly.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM

316 posts, read 989,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misslipu View Post
purchasing a used car from owner but there is no plate.wat can i do?txtxtxtx
Join the legion of motorists that drive the wrong way on LI highways?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
You can get temporary tags unless you are buying from a non-dealer. Otherwise have him bring it to your house with his plates on.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:56 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,892 times
Just show your driver's license. You'll get a free pass.

You live in RP, right?

Old 01-11-2011, 01:59 PM

939 posts, read 2,310,986 times
i'll pick up one of these for you in a times sq souviner shop... no one will touch you...

Old 01-11-2011, 02:44 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,589 times
I have heard that there are still some towing companies doing business here on the Island, but am unable to determine
the cost-effectiveness of having it moved to your location, because the rates are mostly predicated upon the distance that the
tow truck will have to travel and the cost is based upon a round-trip engagement. Of course, there are other options that you
might consider, the easiest being to remove the plates from your original car and carry them over to the place where you are going
to be picking up this additional vehicle, screw them on and make the trip back home using as much caution as possible and perhaps,
traveling along "back" roads through residential areas. I'd also advise choosing a route that will pass through the most troubled areas
along the way, through the neighborhoods where the police are least apt to want to enter and thus engage crime. I'd recommend that
you travel at night, alone, staying the hell off of your cellphone, and by all means use your seat belt.

Another method that I have heard is successful, is the old, "car-in-tow" approach. If you decide to attempt this move, you'll need
two easily obtained items, a sturdy nylon tow rope or webbed belt and some common glass wax. Tie one end of the webbed belt to the
underside of the front frame of the car and let the remaining ten or twenty feet, drape along the bottom of the car. It will add an element
of realism if you fray the trailing end of the belt or the rope so as to replicate what could appear as a break in the tether. Using a soft cloth,
write in large letters: CAR IN TOW, across the rear window, start the car, and head home. If you should get stopped, you can always tell the
officer that the rope broke at the last stop sign when the guy who was towing you, just took off like a shot and probably didn't realize that
the tether had snapped. I'd advise you to have a dozen or so, assorted Dunkin' Donuts there in a box on the front seat, just in case you do
get pulled over and perhaps it wouldn't hurt to have a current PBA sticker, there on the windshield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island