Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM

182 posts, read 406,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
What parts specfically are in Bohemia hamlet but are in holbrook zip. Far as i can tell lincoln ave is dividing line for both hamlet and zip.
Lincoln Ave north of Church has a Holbrook zip.
Lincoln Ave south of Church but north of Sunrise has a Bohemia zip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default A map of the "Holbrook, NY 11741" ZIP Code postal zone

Quote:
What parts specfically are in Bohemia hamlet but are in holbrook zip. Far as i can tell lincoln ave is dividing line for both hamlet and zip.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the "Holbrook, NY 11741" ZIP Code postal zone includes all or part of the Hamlet of Holbrook, the Hamlet of Holtsville, the Hamlet of Bohemia and the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma

A map of the "Holbrook, NY 11741" ZIP Code postal zone:
Attached Thumbnails
LI communities ranked by income-holbrook-ny11741.gif  

Old 01-27-2011, 03:38 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times
# 153

Go Levittown!!

I am assuming these are based on the newest census results

Old 01-27-2011, 06:16 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
Lincoln Ave north of Church has a Holbrook zip.
Lincoln Ave south of Church but north of Sunrise has a Bohemia zip.

Thats because lincoln south of church is bohemia.
Lincoln north of church is holbrook.

Walter's maps seem to confirm

Old 01-27-2011, 06:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the "Holbrook, NY 11741" ZIP Code postal zone includes all or part of the Hamlet of Holbrook, the Hamlet of Holtsville, the Hamlet of Bohemia and the Hamlet of Ronkonkoma

A map of the "Holbrook, NY 11741" ZIP Code postal zone:
Can someone name a street with a holbrook zip that are in bohemia

Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM

182 posts, read 406,391 times
Quote:
Thats because lincoln south of church is bohemia.
Lincoln north of church is holbrook.

Walter's maps seem to confirm
I was referring to mail delivery when you stated Lincoln was the dividing line. All mail on Lincoln north of Church is Holbrook on both sides.

Also, south of Church, east side of Lincoln north of 27 is Holbrook with a Bohemia zip. Jules St, Jules Ct.

McCormick Dr which is partially in Holbrook is entirely handled by Bohemia PO too.

I can't recall a Bohemia with a Holbrook zip.

Last edited by 4DogsImDone; 01-27-2011 at 06:32 PM..

Old 01-27-2011, 06:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Quote:
Can someone name a street with a holbrook zip that are in bohemia
The small area to the north of Church Street and to the west of Lincoln Avenue is in the Hamlet of Bohemia ("Holbrook, NY 11741" mailing address).

Old 01-27-2011, 08:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
I was a PTF with the Bohemia PO for several years. Everything on Lincoln on the west side is handled by the Holbrook PO except where noted by 4DogsI'mDone. Walter's map looks correct. While I handled mostly residential deliveries, I occasional covered commercial routes. I recall delivering to the commercial buildings on the corner of Church and Knickerbocker, and delivering to the buildings on McCormick Drive up to the west side of Knickerbocker, but never crossing Knickerbocker. I do not recall deliveries on Knickerbocker, but this was 15 years ago and other things have taken that space in my memory.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:01 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
But if the #'s clearly aren't accurate why even bother posting them @ all? And yes I know how it works, I'm not a moron contrary to your belief. I can actually hold a job, have an intelligent conversation with someone and hold a relationship...wow, who knew!
That is not my belief, but you're pushing it that way. I was not aware that having a conversation and being able to "hold a relationship" are measures of intelligence. Maybe if you're trying to establish the different tiers of mammal intelligence... a dog or a horse cannot do any of those things, but they're pretty basic for most non-catatonic humans.

If you "know how it works" than why were you going on about tax returns and drivers licenses not matching where someone resides?

Quote:
My point is, not everyone fills those things out. And what people 'suspect' to be a residence, fine...what about illegal apartments?

There are too many variables to make a reasonable assessement on incomes of a community. Most renters barely stay a year anyway. The data is so skewed it's ridiculous.

As for the case of Long Beach, most people living in Long Beach are not poor. Most "renters" in Long Beach are working professionals. I don't see how Long Beach is #219 on the list. Long Beach being so far down on my list was my main point, not that rentals don't count.
Tom already explained all of this really well back on page 9 so it's not worth repeating... but I will add that if you think there are too many variables or whatever than just don't pay attention to it. I think most people are willing to accept the limitations of having estimates and statistics while recognizing why things like this are valuable and essential resources, but if you want to completely ignore it and refuse to acknowledge it's relevance because it involves lots of math - by all means, that's your right.

Quote:
And just b/c you say they do, doesn't mean they really do. That's what you think but unless you work for the census bureau or whatever other company handles these things, then you have no clue for sure.
Wait, we're back at this now? I thought you just said "you know how it works"?

It's not "b/c [i] say they do", it's because - aside from being something that most people have at least a little familiarity with - it's a branch of the federal government and they have a website that explains all of this in great detail - www.census.gov. This is all really simple, it's not an abstract discussion of the magical, wonderous process of where Census figures come from. Do you drink milk? Do you know what it tastes like? WAIT?! How can you know what it tastes like?! YOU DON'T WORK ON A FARM!!! That's basically what you're saying here...

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 01-28-2011 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: too angry sounding

Old 01-28-2011, 12:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,508,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Students in dormitories usually don't effect census data, because they are only supposed to be counted at their primary residence. So, if they are counted by their parents and then again at the dorm that would throw off the data. It doesn't always work out perfectly, but the intention is for them to be counted at their home residence.
Wow, yeah... that makes sense. I should have known that

The LIPA thing Walter posted is different from the Census and counts according to it's own method. They've got all the colleges listed on there, although I didn't look at it and I can't remember if they're included in whatever hamlet/village/etc. they're in or if they get their own separate entry completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Lynbrook I believe has lots of condos. Checking MLSLI, 36 active listings for condos for sale in Lynbrook means there are likely 300+ condos on the household income roll. They count as "Households" according to census as far as I know. Rentals I am not sure how those figure into census.

Oakdale has to be the increasing number of retirees, as most of us know that is a favorite town for lots of retirees. Other than that, I'm not sure why else Oakdale would be off.
Good call on the condos in Lynbrook. I always forget about them. Used to think that area around Peninsula Blvd was RVC - until somebody I was driving with got a speeding ticket from the Lynbrook Village PD there, LOL.

Also MikeyKid mentioned Idle Hour for Oakdale. When I think of "Oakdale" I always think of that neighborhood, I'm not as familiar with the areas further north... could be a lot different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island