Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 07:57 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
I don't know if there are dorms at Dowling, but if that was the case and it was bringing Oakdale's numbers down then Stony Brook should have been further down the list also.
According to the 2009 edition of LIPA's Long Island Population Survey, Dowling College dormitories had 477 people and SUNY Stony Brook had 9,320 people on or about January 1, 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,173,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
According to the 2009 edition of LIPA's Long Island Population Survey, Dowling College dormitories had 477 people and SUNY Stony Brook had 9,320 people on or about January 1, 2009.
Wow thats a Zip Code

Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM

182 posts, read 406,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Wow thats a Zip Code
Stony brook U has it's own zip code 11794.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
Stony brook U has it's own zip code 11794.
Then it would be broken out.

Walter..thats your cue.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 AM

398 posts, read 838,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
lol OBH

I used to be in 108 so I guess it wasn't as bad as I portrayed it to be
Valley Stream # 188 now that's a shocker
It's bad if you're a Harbour Rat.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:55 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
I assure you Idle Hour isnt hurtin by any stretch.

If the College/Dorms were the determinant then Stony Brook would be circling the bottom.

Lynbrook, even VS dont look right.

Something doesnt add up at all with this.
I think it my be rental stock

Crooks
Idle Hour makes up a relatively small area of Oakdale IMO - won't argue it's "high end" for Suffolk in general, though. You're paying big premium for bay or canal rights in most cases. You ever see that house on the little island with the bridge across from Dowling? lol

Besides the newer stuff down by Vanderbilt's Wharf and Snapper Inn (wheee Reggae happy hours), you have that whole "artist community" thing going where it's arts and crafts type homes instead of the modern conveniences down there... So you're paying for "character", tiny rooms, etc when people want granite right about now. So even in Idle Hour itself - you don't have as much as you'd think to jack the median too high.

In the end Oakdale being Connetquot schools pulling from a large chunk up into North touching into Ronko doesn't get them into the Sayville category.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Idle Hour makes up a relatively small area of Oakdale IMO - won't argue it's "high end" for Suffolk in general, though. You're paying big premium for bay or canal rights in most cases. You ever see that house on the little island with the bridge across from Dowling? lol

Besides the newer stuff down by Vanderbilt's Wharf and Snapper Inn (wheee Reggae happy hours), you have that whole "artist community" thing going where it's arts and crafts type homes instead of the modern conveniences down there... So you're paying for "character", tiny rooms, etc when people want granite right about now. So even in Idle Hour itself - you don't have as much as you'd think to jack the median too high.

In the end Oakdale being Connetquot schools pulling from a large chunk up into North touching into Ronko doesn't get them into the Sayville category.
Perhaps Kid

Nice area.

I actually prefer Oakdale and Great River to Sayville.
I think all that rental stuff on Sunrise may be theirs too

I was surprised to see it where it ranked.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:59 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Perhaps.

I actually prefer Oakdale and Great River to Sayville.

I was surprised to see it where it ranked.
I agree with you on Great River with the bay access and area in general - several friends live in country village EI schools... But I think Sayville's downtown and better restaurants trumps Oakdale.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:05 AM

182 posts, read 406,473 times
Quote:
Then it would be broken out.

Walter..thats your cue.
Zips and CDPs aren't always the same, right?

If the university were it's own CDP, wouldn't it be on the list or would it be omitted from being it's own spot on the list because it is a State entity and not a hamlet, village, town or something like that? If omitted from the list for that reason then wouldn't wind up in Stony Brook the hamlet?

I am getting confused!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I agree with you on Great River with the bay access and area in general - several friends live in country village EI schools... But I think Sayville's downtown and better restaurants trumps Oakdale.

Its right up the road.

Sometimes downtowns are too crowded.
Sayvilles car traffic is a bear

The downtown Islips are really nice too.
Been meaning to check out Tellers.

Were way OT.

I think those areas are nicer than the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island