Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:12 AM

32 posts, read 90,054 times

Advertisements

I am a sophmore in college and this year i want to get the most deductions on my tax returns as possible any advice??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Yeah, speak to an accountant, not an online forum.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:09 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiermx View Post
I am a sophmore in college and this year i want to get the most deductions on my tax returns as possible any advice??
For the most part you can get any information you need from a tax program like turbo tax or online. We're not talking about multi-level corporations here, student deductions are pretty cut and dried. If you go to an accountant any tax refund you might have gotten will be chewed up by them in fees.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
For the most part you can get any information you need from a tax program like turbo tax or online. We're not talking about multi-level corporations here, student deductions are pretty cut and dried. If you go to an accountant any tax refund you might have gotten will be chewed up by them in fees.
yeah you're right. I set up an appointment with an H&R Block agent i hope they don't ask that much

Old 01-28-2011, 05:21 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,785 times
Default Noooooo!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
yeah you're right. I set up an appointment with an H&R Block agent i hope they don't ask that much
H&R Block "agents" are temps who are about as "trained" as I am after completing my own taxes three times with TurboTax. Wait and see. You will pay them $50 or more to have them sit there and ask you to answer the same questions that TurboTax will ask. They know NOTHING outside of the standard questions.

I had H&R Block do this once for me when I was a graduate student in Oklahoma. I thought the guy knew something. He had me drop off all of my paperwork, and then gave me everything printed out with his signature (and that was for an EZ!!! - Totally unethical!!!). I didn't know how little they actually did until I went to a Jackson Hewitt in Florida after I'd refinanced by house. He didn't know his rectum for his elbow. He cobbled a fat audit flag together for me, and told me not to worry because it was guaranteed. I paid for it, went home, and found numerous errors - just flagrant BS entries. I eventually just completed them myself. It took me a year to get my money back, and they insisted on giving me a credit for next year's taxes - a little like getting a free flight from American Airlines after they crash the plane.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:58 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
H&R Block "agents" are temps who are about as "trained" as I am after completing my own taxes three times with TurboTax. Wait and see. You will pay them $50 or more to have them sit there and ask you to answer the same questions that TurboTax will ask. They know NOTHING outside of the standard questions.

I had H&R Block do this once for me when I was a graduate student in Oklahoma. I thought the guy knew something. He had me drop off all of my paperwork, and then gave me everything printed out with his signature (and that was for an EZ!!! - Totally unethical!!!). I didn't know how little they actually did until I went to a Jackson Hewitt in Florida after I'd refinanced by house. He didn't know his rectum for his elbow. He cobbled a fat audit flag together for me, and told me not to worry because it was guaranteed. I paid for it, went home, and found numerous errors - just flagrant BS entries. I eventually just completed them myself. It took me a year to get my money back, and they insisted on giving me a credit for next year's taxes - a little like getting a free flight from American Airlines after they crash the plane.
That's not entirely true. However, if you are going to use H&R Block, make sure you demand someone that is an Enrolled Agent. They have the letters EA after their name. They are certified by the IRS to prepare taxes and have a much higher likely hood of knowing their stuff, compared to the average H&R employee who pays for a week long class usually taught by an EA.

Here's some information on EAs:

Enrolled Agent Information

Old 01-28-2011, 07:21 PM

I've been getting so many negative feedbacks about H&R Block i might just end up cancelling my appointment next week. How's Turbotax DeadPool1998. does it lead you clearly through every single steps because i have my 1998 form {i think that's how it's called} that i want to writte off and it's basicly just my loan form showing how much interest is being accumulated.

DO you guys think i should just go with turboTax?

Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
You can also use TaxAct - I've used it for years and it takes you through everything step by step. They'll also let you efile.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,535 times
Quote:
I've been getting so many negative feedbacks about H&R Block i might just end up cancelling my appointment next week. How's Turbotax DeadPool1998. does it lead you clearly through every single steps because i have my 1998 form {i think that's how it's called} that i want to writte off and it's basicly just my loan form showing how much interest is being accumulated.

DO you guys think i should just go with turboTax?
One thing I remember about H&R Block is that they set up satellite offices that close after tax season. One year back in college, I had used H&R Block to file my taxes. Months later when I was notified by the IRS that there was a problem, I returned to the office location I had visited, only to find that they weren't there. I had to do extra leg-work to find one of their other, year-round, offices. When I visited this office, they couldn't have shown LESS interest in my situation.......That was the last time I used their service.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
You are a soph? About 19? Do you live home at all / do your parents contribute to the college cost? If so....Make sure you don't have parents taking deductions as well, it can mess with both your taxes and theirs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: