Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
And the part left out is they only have to pay that for 10 years. The rest of their teaching careers they pay NOTHING.

Let me guess...it's on the first, lowest paid, 10 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Let me guess...it's on the first, lowest paid, 10 years?
Of course.

However, the most recent "Tier" has them paying 3.5% for their entire careers, which is still a bargain for them and still leaves the taxpayers paying way too much of it.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:25 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Of course.

However, the most recent "Tier" in the union contracts has them paying 3.5% for their entire careers, which is still a bargain for them and still leaves the taxpayers paying way too much of it.
Can we write off LI teachers as dependents on our tax returns?

Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Can we write off LI teachers as dependents on our tax returns?
There's a lot of people (and their kids) we should be writing off ...

Old 02-01-2011, 01:07 PM
grant516

n/a posts
What's a syosset?

Old 02-01-2011, 02:09 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,635 times
Those poor teachers nowadays, they still get dissed like second class citizens, have to continuously school themselves, deal with kids, administration and parents, get accused of only having a part-time job AND contribute to their own retirement! I had all of that and for thirty years never had to contribute to my retirement. Don't yell at me, its not my fault....it was the law of the state that you live in. Don't crucify me for the actions of your politicians. Those bad boy politicians also told you that lotto money was going to fund education; seems like that money is used to advertise lotto! Oh, BTW, I pay NYS and real estate taxes too!

Old 02-01-2011, 02:58 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Those poor teachers nowadays, they still get dissed like second class citizens, have to continuously school themselves, deal with kids, administration and parents, get accused of only having a part-time job AND contribute to their own retirement! I had all of that and for thirty years never had to contribute to my retirement. Don't yell at me, its not my fault....it was the law of the state that you live in. Don't crucify me for the actions of your politicians. Those bad boy politicians also told you that lotto money was going to fund education; seems like that money is used to advertise lotto! Oh, BTW, I pay NYS and real estate taxes too!
They sure do see a lot of flack. Unfortunately, we need to separate the system from the people. I think a lot of the anger needs to be pointed towards changing the system, which is starting to occur. However, the fact that teachers can't recognize the good situation and just try to argue how hard their jobs are is not helping their situation. You can't make a six figure income and get 3 months off each year and then downplay how great of a job it is. I've never heard a teacher talk about how blessed they are to have to work so little and make so much, it's like denying that will convince people that teachers aren't overpaid.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Default Cuomo Critical of Superintendents Salary

Great comment, hit the nail right on the head, unfortunately he has old info as her salary was $486K for 2010.

"Cuomo Tuesday took his own shot at schools for overspending, citing districts on the Island and elsewhere that pay superintendents more than $200,000 annually. Specifically, the governor pointed to the $386,868 salary of one superintendent - Syosset's Carole Hankin, though he didn't mention her by name.
"I understand these superintendents have a job to do, but why they have to be paid more than the governor I do not know," Cuomo said. He is paid $179,000 a year, and returns 5 percent of that to the state. "

Cuomo cuts include $250M hit to LI school aid

Old 02-02-2011, 07:32 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Great comment, hit the nail right on the head, unfortunately he has old info as her salary was $486K for 2010.

"Cuomo Tuesday took his own shot at schools for overspending, citing districts on the Island and elsewhere that pay superintendents more than $200,000 annually. Specifically, the governor pointed to the $386,868 salary of one superintendent - Syosset's Carole Hankin, though he didn't mention her by name.
"I understand these superintendents have a job to do, but why they have to be paid more than the governor I do not know," Cuomo said. He is paid $179,000 a year, and returns 5 percent of that to the state. "

Cuomo cuts include $250M hit to LI school aid
How far gone are we if Democrats are saying that we are overspending on our schools?

Old 02-02-2011, 09:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
No teacher retires at 200K a year. Period. If you say this, prove it.

A teacher in California who makes 85k a year and retires at age 56 with 30 years in makes 32K a year as a pension. Peanuts, basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island