Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:27 AM

74 posts, read 307,146 times

Advertisements

Hi! So some of you may remember that my fiance & I are in the midst of house-hunting. We have it down to several areas that are convenient for me to go out east to work (Mastic) and to NYC on the LIRR for him. We are looking for something between $380-440,000 in Plainview, Wantagh, Massapequa, Commack, Dix Hills, or E. Northport. We saw some open houses yesterday in Mass. Park and saw a big difference.. nice blocks, nice houses.. seems like just talking strictly about the house and its value, we can get more for our $$. But, how is this area? All I know is that its near Sunrise Mall and I know in the past years it kind of fell apart, and Mass. Park is near Amityville. Aside from that.. I want a semi-Jewish area where our future children won't feel like they're the only Jewish kids in their classes.. I want them to feel a sense of belonging. I know there are a few temples in Massapequa, but how is Mass. Park overall in this regard?

Thanks so much in advance.. I trust the comments on this board more than what I would find scouring the internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 09:24 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
Mass Park is not known as being even semi Jewish. Don't worry about it being near amityville.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM

Oh really?? Not even semi-Jewish?!

So I guess regular Massapequa is a better bet for what we are looking for??

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Mass Park is not known as being even semi Jewish. Don't worry about it being near amityville.
Really? I always thought there were a lot of Jewish people in Massapequa... hence "matzoh pizza" ??

I remember an older thread on here where someone (AlexisT - who seemed to know a lot about Long Island and Jewish things, but sadly moved out of state) said that all the Jews on the south shore were moving to places like Woodbury and Syosset. Not fashionable to live here anymore, apparently. Maybe that's the case in Massapequa now, I don't really know.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:36 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,471 times
I don't keep track of people,s religions but one of two temples on jerusalemm ave has closed and the kosher deli turned into a pizzeria. I honestly think most Jews haves moved from massapequa and masapequa park

Old 02-21-2011, 09:39 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,800 times
I have lived in Massapequa Park for 7 years and have been very happy with it. The Matzoh-Pizza thing never made much sense as I don't see tons of Jewish people here but there are definietly some. I don't live too far from Amityville and I see no problems at all.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I don't keep track of people,s religions but one of two temples on jerusalemm ave has closed and the kosher deli turned into a pizzeria. I honestly think most Jews haves moved from massapequa and masapequa park
Which temples have closed?

Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Silyss, that is a good area. Just make sure the home you are looking at is in the Massapequa School District (shaded in purple) - I added a few notes in there to show the "DMZ" zones as some people like to call them and the Nassau-Suffolk border. The eastern border of Massapequa SD is Carmans Rd. - Make sure to stay west of this Road if you want Pequa SD.

Map of the Massapequa Union Free School District

notes:
The "DMZ" or demilitarized zone, this section acts as kind of a buffer between Mass Park and the seedy area in North Amityville (RT.110). The DMZ's are actually okay areas, but in the less desirable Amityville SD.

The red line represents County Line Rd. or the Nassau-Suffolk Border.

The area west of the mall you are looking at is nice...most likely zoned for East Lake Elementary and Massapequa SD.
East Lake> East Lake Elementary School - Massapequa Park, New York - NY - School overview

Be aware though, that area is not in the Village of Massapequa Park, it's technically East Massapequa, Massapequa Park by mailing address.

If you prefer to live in the village,
Here's a map of the Village of Massapequa Park:

Also, I can't say what the percentage of Jewish people in the area is for certain, but I'm sure you will not have a problem fitting in. Massapequa SD is rather large, here's some demographics on the SD:
https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb-rc...0523030000.pdf

I came across another thread that might be of interest to you:
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...a-park-ny.html

Notice also the northern part of Massapequa Park/Massapequa are not in the Massapequa School District. Those would go to Farmingdale or Plainedge. Amityville is a nice village IMO, I wouldn't have too many worries. A few of my favorite eateries are in Amityville. North Amity is a different story, not a good area to be in.

Bottom line, as long as you stay in the Massapequa SD boundaries, you will be fine. I won't comment on the Jewish population statistics because I don't know for sure, but that thread I linked up there should have some more info on that. Good luck to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Massapequa Park.. the good, the bad, & the ugly..?!-massapequa-school-district-map.jpg  

Last edited by Pequaman; 02-21-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Amityville is a nice village IMO, I wouldn't have too many worries. A few of my favorite eateries are in Amityville. North Amity is a different story, not a good area to be in.
Vittorios in Amityville is one of my favorites and there new place is pretty nice too.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,140 times
Want to add ("fell apart" comment), Sunrise Mall has improved a lot and is really not a bad little mall. It's probably the least crowded mall on LI, clean food court, has most of the same chain stores you see in Roosevelt Field, and it's much more preferable, in my opinion, to other LI malls like Broadway or Green Acres.

It's nothing spectacular, but it's clean and not bad for an occasional gift or to get some Bourbon Chicken, Auntie Annes or Arbys. We went the other night for Bourbon chicken and to pick up a gift and chilled by the koi pond for a while. They had a live performance going on at the time by an American Idol type singer. There's also a play area for the kids just off the food court and next to the koi pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL925YwS_qU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island