Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:56 AM

42 posts, read 132,909 times

Advertisements

My current shed is a mess and I need to replace it this spring. I've never bought a shed before and am a little surprised at all the options, and at how expensive some of them are.

I'm looking to only spend a few hundred for it, if possible. I don't need a very big one; just big enough for a mower, fertilizer, firewood, and a few other small things.

Do I need to go with a wooden one, or are plastic ones any good? BJs and Home Depot always seem to be advertising custom wood ones, but they seem like much more than we need.

The other issue is whether I need to put down a concrete slab or not.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2011, 10:35 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
we did one of the rubbermaid ones from Home Depot, I think it was about $500-600 and we built a wooden base to put it on. There were 1 or 2 smaller ones and several larger ones. Not to fancy but pretty easy to put together.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 AM

42 posts, read 132,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
we did one of the rubbermaid ones from Home Depot, I think it was about $500-600 and we built a wooden base to put it on. There were 1 or 2 smaller ones and several larger ones. Not to fancy but pretty easy to put together.
How long have you had it? Has it held up well? Does it leak in the rain?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:41 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan82 View Post
How long have you had it? Has it held up well? Does it leak in the rain?
Not even a year so I can't comment on durability. It doesn't leak and seems pretty sturdy, especially since it is screwed into the base.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:28 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times
Dman
How large is your current shed?
Wood sheds will last the longest and are the best bang for the buck. Stay away from the steel ones. The plastic and Alum. ones should be put on a concrete or wood base. [ see now your buy lumber]
There are two in suffolk I know of. one on 122 and the other on sunrise in like Lindy/copiague area north side of the road. That one sells display models at a nice discount.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:18 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
I went with a steel shed from Man Products. They deliver and assemble. You don't need a slab. You do need to paint it however (it comes primed). We are very happy with it.

Steel Sheds | Metal Buildings | Outdoor Storage | Cellar Doors | Garages | Basement Plans | Garden

Old 02-26-2011, 08:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I went with a steel shed from Man Products. They deliver and assemble. You don't need a slab. You do need to paint it however (it comes primed). We are very happy with it.

Steel Sheds | Metal Buildings | Outdoor Storage | Cellar Doors | Garages | Basement Plans | Garden

My daughter has one as well (at least five years now, could be longer). They were very professional during the installation and she hasn't had any problems. She painted it and has been using it for her kiln.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM

64 posts, read 237,949 times
I agree with Nevar, the steel one I bought from Man is inferior, and they don't stand by their product. They didn't build it properly, the door doesn't close right, it leaks, and you need to paint it every four or five years. I got mine about eight years ago, painted it twice already, and quite frankly it's an eyesore.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:25 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
The Rubbermaid ones are prone to warp and the plastic hinges can break if not placed on perfectly level ground so assemble is just not that easy.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:32 PM

51 posts, read 222,563 times
I have had the rubbermaid shed for about 5 years, and taken it down twice and reassembled (moved). Its lightweight, easy to assemble and movable. No leaks, no warping .. I am very happy with it.

As another posted said, it must be on level ground or you will probably even have trouble getting it together and some seems might not line up correctly. I built a plywood based for it and painted it with Kilz to hinder mold .. I did get mold on that base anyway, shed is doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island