Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2007, 03:55 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times

Advertisements

Right now NYC is the HOTTEST real estate market in the country.
Suffolk county's market is in a death spiral.(Its the taxes stupid)

I mean, if youre gonna be in traffic....you may as well get some culture.
If given the choice today, I prefer the boroughs to LI hands down.
Theyve gentrified beautifully.

For years eveyone went "Out East" for more value.
(Whats another 40 min commute...hahahahha)

Theres no "Out East" left except for the Hamptons and NYCs already there.

Somebody tell me...why did we vote down a bridge to CT?
NIMBY boomer idiots.

WE HAVE NO JOBS OUT HERE THAT PAY ENOUGH TO COVER THE TAB AND WE'RE SEVERED FROM NYC BY A USELESS COMMUTER RAIL AND PARALYZED 495.

(Shoulda been a Suffolk cop)

Welcome to the worlds biggest Cul De Sac.
The Vortex of suck.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 07-24-2007 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:09 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
I don't think the bridge was ever put up for a vote. The big bucks on the North Shore quashed it. Ever wonder why the Seaford Oyster Bay Expwy abruptly ends at Jericho Turnpike? That was supposed to go up to the north shore and cross the sound via bridge or tunnel.
Guess they didn't want to scare the polo ponies with the sound of traffic

Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
Clamboy there is some truth to your post. I know of several people who have left Long island for various parts of NYC. However, they were all either young single twenty-somethings or retired. Obviously NYC is the place to be if you are young and single, but retired? Believe it or not NYC is probably one of the best places to retire in the country. It has all the cultural amenities of course, but it also has a public transportation system. Thus, retired folk are no longer dependent on the automobile. However, I don't think young Long Islanders starting families are going to be moving back to NYC anytime soon. Most of NYC's puplic schools really suck. There are a few exceptions, but overall the quality of even the best schools in NYC would only rank as average out here.

One other observation. As city real estate prices have gone up the effect has been to push many city residents into the Long Island housing market. Several areas on Long Island are drawing people from NYC. African-Americans and Hispanics appear to be moving to Elmont, Valley Stream, Baldwin, and West Hempstead. Puerto Ricans are moving to Levittown and East Meadow. Asians are moving from Flushing and Jackson Heights to Hicksville, New Hyde Park, and Syosset.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:54 PM

Good point, however with real estate taxes in nyc being a fraction of LI's.
Private school would certainly be an option...maybe in some cases cheaper.

Long Island is not keeeping pace because of its oppressive taxes.

Remember its payment..not price and Im thinking Boroughs ...not Manhattan.

A 700k House in Forest Hills w/3k in taxes may be comparable than a 400k house in Suffolk paying 12k.

Crunch 'em.

Probably not too far off.

Factor in multiple car payments and the City may be a bargain.

C

Old 07-28-2007, 05:00 PM

I completely understand what you are saying about crunching the numbers. Taxes are much lower in New York City's outer boroughs, but you have to remember that city residents have to pay a city income tax. Although, having once lived and worked in Queens I can say that the income tax is not that much and I believe it was deducted from my federal taxes anyway. The question is - will the city continue to improve as it has or is this just a brief interlude before the bottom falls out?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:15 PM

Just had a thought about areas in Nassau that really are not any better than many places in Queens.

I'd say you would be better off in Queens than the following places in Nassau County: New Hyde Park, Garden City Park, Great Neck, Port Washington, Mineola, Elmont, Valley Stream, Long Beach, Glen Cove, Westbury, West Hempstead, Freeport, Baldwin, Roosevelt, Hempstead, Uniondale, East Meadow, Plainview, Rockville Center, Hicksville, Hewlett, Lawrence and maybe Floral Park.

Why these areas? All are very crowded. All have significant amounts of diversity - so if you don't mind diversity (Asian, Hispanic, African-American, Jewish), why pay high taxes for it when it can be had for much less in Queens.

Queens, best bets: Jamaica Estates, Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks, Bayside, Whitestone, Floral Park (Queens side), Douglaston, Little Neck, Malba, Howard Beach, Maspeth, Glendale, Middle Village, Forest Hills, Astoria, Rego Park, Kew Gardens and perhaps parts of Ridgewood.

Send the kids to private or Catholic School. However, in the better Queens neighborhoods the Elementary schools can be very good. The best High Schools are Bayside, Benjamin Cardozo, Francis Lewis, Townshend Harris and maybe the new one, the Queens High School for Teaching.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:18 PM

Amen

I cant tell the difference between Mineola and Queens anyway.
C

Old 07-28-2007, 06:48 PM

18 posts, read 59,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Good point, however with real estate taxes in nyc being a fraction of LI's.
Private school would certainly be an option...maybe in some cases cheaper.

Long Island is not keeeping pace because of its oppressive taxes.

Remember its payment..not price and Im thinking Boroughs ...not Manhattan.

A 700k House in Forest Hills w/3k in taxes may be comparable than a 400k house in Suffolk paying 12k.

Crunch 'em.

Probably not too far off.

Factor in multiple car payments and the City may be a bargain.

C
Hi Clamboy

I agree that it makes more sense to buy a home in Queens.
The problem is that a lot of the people that are moving here are not eligible to receive mortgages for the higher priced homes in Queens.
Many of them also think that the schools out here are better and willing to pay the higher taxes.

I am currently living on Long Island only because the pace of life is slower here for my boys.

My friends always tell me if I miss Queens so much why don't I just go back over there.

Even though LI has its bad parts the pace of life is still a little slower and calmer than NYC for children.

(This is from my experience and my opinion people..so dont take it personal).

I dont currently own a home on LI. I decided to rent here instead of buying because the taxes are high and I dont think the price is worth it.

If I had to choose buying a home in Queens over LI I would definitely pick Queens.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymlshomes View Post
Hi Clamboy

I agree that it makes more sense to buy a home in Queens.
The problem is that a lot of the people that are moving here are not eligible to receive mortgages for the higher priced homes in Queens.
Many of them also think that the schools out here are better and willing to pay the higher taxes.

I am currently living on Long Island only because the pace of life is slower here for my boys.

My friends always tell me if I miss Queens so much why don't I just go back over there.

Even though LI has its bad parts the pace of life is still a little slower and calmer than NYC for children.

(This is from my experience and my opinion people..so dont take it personal).

I dont currently own a home on LI. I decided to rent here instead of buying because the taxes are high and I dont think the price is worth it.

If I had to choose buying a home in Queens over LI I would definitely pick Queens.
I just think Queens gets overlooked and much of Nassau is way overrated.

I love Bayside,Douglaston,Jamaica Estates,Forest Hills etc.

Id take any of those towns over Mineola,Elmont,Valley Stream or Hicksville.

Truth be told its hard to tell the difference the days.
Tiny lots,insane traffic,obsene taxes.

I'd much rather be in Queens...at least youre closer to Manhattan and your taxes are low.
My Cousin lives in Floral Park/Nassau 14k a year for 40x80...if you look down to the end of his block you can see Floral Park/Queens...taxes 4k.You can send the kids to catholic school and still save some money.

Check out the Floral Park farm
Queens County Farm Museum

Just a preference call.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 07-28-2007 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island