Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 05:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,646 times

Advertisements

Im surprised she is trying to fight this. isnt the catholic church against gays? why is she trying to fight something they have been against of for centuries? but the girl has to realize its a "private school" and the school can do whatever they want. its thier rules, not the states!

Lesbian pupil told by catholic school: Find a male date for prom or stay at home | Mail Online

Old 05-14-2011, 06:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
Im surprised she is trying to fight this. isnt the catholic church against gays? why is she trying to fight something they have been against of for centuries? but the girl has to realize its a "private school" and the school can do whatever they want. its thier rules, not the states!

Lesbian pupil told by catholic school: Find a male date for prom or stay at home | Mail Online
St. Anthony's High School in Long Island bars lesbian student from bringing female date to prom

The Catholic Church believes that encouraging or engaging in homosexual activity is a sin. Had the Brother in charge of St. Anthony's given the lesbian student permission to attend with her ex girlfriend, he would have sinned as it woukd have been encouraging homosexuality.

A person can be gay, or feel the tendencies and be Catholic. Once he or she acts upon the feeling, or encourages others, it is a sin.

I can sympathize with the girl and respect that she went to the school hierarchy for permission. I feel that gay and lesbian groups, however are going to seize upon this in an effort to bash Catholics.

Old 05-14-2011, 07:55 AM

I dated some girls from the school. always knew there were lots of lesbians that attended. trouble was that I couldnt find any for myself!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:03 AM

654 posts, read 2,121,534 times
So they won't accept a date from the same gender but they have no problem enrolling non-Catholics in their school.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
So they won't accept a date from the same gender but they have no problem enrolling non-Catholics in their school.

i think it comes down to money. if the girl would pay the school enough to bring a date, they will cave in.

I went to catholic school for many years, always tried getting myself thrown out or expelled. never knew why until I was old enough to realize my parents were paying a tuition and the school couldnt afford to lost it!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:45 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:

[URL="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1386906/Lesbian-pupil-told-catholic-school-Find-male-date-prom-stay-home.html"]Lesbian pupil told by catholic school: Find a male date for prom or stay at home | Mail Online[/URL]
Easy: Find a male homosexual couple for signing up, and then swap dates once there. As long as at least one boy and one girl of the four go to the school, it will work.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
i think it comes down to money. if the girl would pay the school enough to bring a date, they will cave in.

I went to catholic school for many years, always tried getting myself thrown out or expelled. never knew why until I was old enough to realize my parents were paying a tuition and the school couldnt afford to lost it!
No amount of money is going to make the Brother in charge 'cave in' as this would be a sin. He gave her an option to bring a male date. She shows up with a male friend, and then they each do their own thing. Plenty of kids in public school attend prom with opposite gender friends. The Brother is being as gentle as possible as he can with the situation without compromising his moral values or sinning.

Angelina Lange for Student Council Secretary St.Anthony's '11 | Facebook

She appears to be a confident and intelligent young lady. I hope she finds a solution to her dilemma which respects the school's standards but doesn't completely deny her her personhood.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Easy: Find a male homosexual couple for signing up, and then swap dates once there. As long as at least one boy and one girl of the four go to the school, it will work.
Bingo!

Old 05-14-2011, 09:40 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,105,490 times
I would be very surprised to find a faith based school concerned about your individuality, personal growth and self discovery. Was it really believed that they would agree to this? I wonder if the school allows students to attend stag, if so just come alone and meet who ever you prefer there, just be discrete.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
No amount of money is going to make the Brother in charge 'cave in' as this would be a sin. He gave her an option to bring a male date. She shows up with a male friend, and then they each do their own thing. Plenty of kids in public school attend prom with opposite gender friends. The Brother is being as gentle as possible as he can with the situation without compromising his moral values or sinning.

Angelina Lange for Student Council Secretary St.Anthony's '11 | Facebook

She appears to be a confident and intelligent young lady. I ope she finds a solution to her dilemma which respects the school's standards but doesn't completely deny her her personhood.
wow...those are some big ears on her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island