Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,958,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Is that true? Do you reaslly need a license plate light in New York? How would you even install this?
It's the law in all 50 states. States like N.Y. and Penn. it's been on the books since the 1950's and 1960's All auto's have been made with these lights for decades.

Quote:
But, where does the energy come from? Is there an outlet there on the car? Is this a new law? I haven't been gone all that long.
Outlet ? It runs on the same principle of other electrical devices in your car through wires When you turn on your head lights this light also comes on, nothing special else to do.

The wires run down the drivers side of the car and enter the trunk behind the drivers side trunk kick panel and loop around the back. Brake lights are light blue, turn signals are yellow and green, marker lights brown, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,672,348 times
This is funny. Its one of those so little thought about lights, kinda like the side-marker lights. You know how many of those I see out?

About a decade ago, my friend got pulled over at night becuase his licence plate lamp was out. He told the officer he didnt even know the car had one. He got the ticket and was told to fix it, and bring the ticket to the station house the next day. Problem solved.

I got pulled over for no brake light one time, and replaced the bulb right then(I keep spares), no ticket, surprised cop.

To the OP:
There is no secret cop handbook, just goodle the VTL sited on the ticket.
Daytime / Nighttime the law still applies and it's required to work.

It is a BS ticket though, and the cop know it, he was doing the kid a favor for something else.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,810,364 times
im surprised people havent asked "why" license plates need lights.

but why arent there any lights for the front license plate!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,341,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post

Because I am yet to hear a hit-and-run case where the driver is speeding away in reverse.
JK.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:47 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,980,599 times
Quote:

Because there are headlights in the front.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:27 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,755,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Wait. Hold the phone...

My car needs oil????

It's all a scam cooked up by OPEC and Check Engine light manufaacturers. Ignore it!

Old 05-24-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
oh yea? I was in court today and saw amy fisher's x lawyer, eric neiburg! he had this young blonde as a client. I just wondered to myself "how many time have they had sex before coming to court?"

Funny story. I was called to jury duty a couple of years back (I think...may have been last year) and was in jury selection for an online sting/pedophile thing that was apparently on America's Most Wanted and blah blah blah. Anyway, the lawyers are interviewing me on day 2 and I was doing pretty well at showing my disgust (yes, we have a legal system, but you looked at this guy and really....there was no reasonable doubt). Suddenly, I realized it was neiburg interviewing me. THAT was obviously something I couldn't keep off my face, because he stopped and approached the bench.

Next thing you know I was driving home from Riverhead!

Okay, "funny story" MAY have been overstating the case.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Because I am yet to hear a hit-and-run case where the driver is speeding away in reverse.
JK.

You need to go out to Deer Park Avenue more often.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
But, where does the energy come from? Is there an outlet there on the car? Is this a new law? I haven't been gone all that long.

With all due respect for your modness, it's a lamp that's hardwired in like a tail light, head light, dome light......it's not an Ikea lamp you plug in.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,810,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Because there are headlights in the front.
yea, but they dont help when theyre blinding you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island