Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You do know that Hispanics and Latinos comprise more than 16% of the U.S. population, right?

And a shop owner should ignore them--and their money--why? Because you get offended by Spanish?

Believe me, I'm all for people learning English when they come here. Likewise, I favor making English the official national language.

But in my opinion, there are more important things to worry about than whether CVS makes announcements in Spanish.
Why on earth would you want to cater so heavily to only 16 percent of the population. wouldn't it be easier (and less expensive) to tell that 16 percent to learn English or get bent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:42 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
Why on earth would you want to cater so heavily to only 16 percent of the population. wouldn't it be easier (and less expensive) to tell that 16 percent to learn English or get bent?
smart guy.. 16% of the US POPULATION. which takes into account some states that probably have no hispanics at all. westbury and many other areas on LI have a much higher % of hispanics and spanish speakers

Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Personally, I don't see what's so great about English anyway.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:33 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
The past month or so the CVS's in the Westbury/Hicksville area have changed their in store advertizing (those annoucements you hear over the loudspeaker) to spanish!
I will definately be calling CVS Corporate to tell them what I think.
Has anyone else experienced such announcements? Its not exactly fair when many of the people shopping cant understand what they are announcing!
If you were a business owner, you'd communicate in ANY language you need to in order to get customers to spend $$$. It's called capitalism.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:35 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
Quote:
The past month or so the CVS's in the Westbury/Hicksville area have changed their in store advertizing (those annoucements you hear over the loudspeaker) to spanish!
I will definately be calling CVS Corporate to tell them what I think.
Has anyone else experienced such announcements? Its not exactly fair when many of the people shopping cant understand what they are announcing!
It'd be cooler if they'd make announcements in Klingon!

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Says who?? Someone who has been making anti-Spanish and Hispanic posts for years on this forum. Sorry, if I don't put that much trust into JIW's posts.

And lets say they did make an announcement just in Spanish, perhaps it was about a lost kid whose mother was Spanish speaking or paging a Spanish speaking customer.

Quite simply JIW's post that they have replaced English announcements and are now just making them in Spanish, makes no sense. It doesn't pass the smell test.
I have heard nothing but spanish announcements the past month, no english. The announcements are completely in spanish, there is no english at all. They sound pre-recorded (ads) and aren't paging customers.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Maybe John will waste a precious day of his life standing in a CVS with his camera running constantly, then post it on YouTube. Keyword, "constantly," so we can be sure the announcements are made ONLY in Spanish, and not that some were made in Spanish and others in English, with the Spanish ones selectively edited together.
You know what, next time I'm in there and I hear it I will record a video of it, since it seems no one believes me.
CVS isn't the only store, last year I saw this in Greenvale...

Old 05-24-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If that were to happen, it may push him over the edge to either head for the hills (actually the NJ Pine Barrens) OR go on a mass shooting spree.
I think I'd be leaving this messed up sandbar, definately not the latter. Cmmon I aint that crazy...

Old 05-25-2011, 12:33 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
no need to get overly technical here, we all know damn well what meant when we say hispanic. its not an official "race", but it might as well be, its a different culture. race doesnt mean skin color.
When the person to whom I replied (not you) decides that all Hispanics (such as myself) are another race, they need to learn otherwise. Have you given any consideration to the fact that there are many white people of Hispanic descent, and that we do not care to be lumped in with the Mestizos?
What you 'damn well' mean as Hispanic is wrong.

Quote:
its a different world from 100 years ago my friend. 100 years ago blacks and women were considered inferior. should we just go back to that? how do u know whos trying to learn english and whos not? is someone who just got here a year ago supposed to be fluent in the language? they could be working to learn it, its doesnt happen overnight. too many people just jump to conclusions and think every person who speaks spanish or looks the part of an immigrant is just some illegal dirtbag leeching off the system and committing crimes. the fact is that the vast majority of those people DO try very hard to make it, and learn the language, etc. its a small percentage who dont

and again, i very highly doubt that cvs eliminated english and only does spanish.

anyway i think a mod should close this garbage.
100 years ago the Irish, Italians and Chinese were also considered inferior. Your point is?

If you had read the post to which I replied (not yours) you would have noticed that I was pointing out the silliness in trying to compare Italian named Italian restaurants (with English menus, etc) to pandering to the portion of the population (any foreign born, non native speaker)which doesn't speak the language. 100 years ago things might not have been great for the groups you and I mention, but in the post I had written previously, I indicated that my family, and many other Puerto Rican families, made a point of learning English in order to advance in the US when they had the chance to migrate here post Spanish American War. FFWD 100 years later we see more people expecting us to cater to their linguistic needs.

When we see signs for Nestle Quik in Spanish only at the gas station on 25 by Nicolls -- one has to ask why? There are some Spanish speakers in the area, but not enough to necessitate signs in one foreign language. That's the impression I am getting from JIW's post. My local 7-11 has more Asian clients frequenting it than Spanish speakers, yet the in store advertising is English and Spanish only. What's wrong with this picture?

Old 05-25-2011, 11:47 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
I think I'd be leaving this messed up sandbar, definately not the latter. Cmmon I aint that crazy...
Where are you going to go to be free from the dirty Mexicans? Minnesota maybe? Not a whole lot of bus service there.

The fearmongering in this thread is neither accurate nor novel. Every generation of immigrants has been met with concern over language - we're going to be speaking Chinese! Or Italian! (By the way, notice that not many people are leaving Western Europe to come here anymore? Wonder why that is.)

Fact is, Latinos aren't much different. First generation immigrants have language issues, but their kids learn and speak English. Here's a good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island