Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:32 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,955,287 times

Advertisements

I hate when these kids skateboard up and down my block.......Sometimes I watch them for hours at a time

http://skateboardingmagazine.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/bikini4.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 02:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Just like how we need to regulate kids playing basketball and hockey in the streets! Don't even start about playing "catch"!!!

The last thing we need is more government control telling us what we can do, where and when.

Have you tried to talk to them??
I don't think anyone is looking for more government control, but help in a situation which could turn fatal.

The streets in some parts over here (like mine) are narrow, have limited visibility, have turns and some steep hills. We get the occasional ding-a-ling who rides his bike down hill to see how fast he can go. Riders pick up a great head of speed and then have to negotiate a blind 90 degree turn where the sand collects after the rain. People coming in the other direction to head up this hill, often get lazy and cut the corner tight. Directly across from this is an old concrete retaining wall.

I've seen kids wipe out on the sand and get road rash, 1 dumb cluck hit the wall, and another kid was clipped by a car cutting the corner. The last one necessitated a 911 call.

Common sense should tell these kids that this is not safe, but Xtreme Sports on TV makes them think otherwise.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I don't think anyone is looking for more government control, but help in a situation which could turn fatal.

The streets in some parts over here (like mine) are narrow, have limited visibility, have turns and some steep hills. We get the occasional ding-a-ling who rides his bike down hill to see how fast he can go. Riders pick up a great head of speed and then have to negotiate a blind 90 degree turn where the sand collects after the rain. People coming in the other direction to head up this hill, often get lazy and cut the corner tight. Directly across from this is an old concrete retaining wall.

I've seen kids wipe out on the sand and get road rash, 1 dumb cluck hit the wall, and another kid was clipped by a car cutting the corner. The last one necessitated a 911 call.

Common sense should tell these kids that this is not safe, but Xtreme Sports on TV makes them think otherwise.
Does not sound good.

OP, did you try calling the local PD and having them swing by?

Old 06-08-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Eventually one of them will get hurt without any outside interference and then it will stop. Sometimes these kids need to learn things the hard way. More than likely the parents don't know what's going on or don't care.
One of them will get hurt; hopefully not by a local homeowner driving to or from home or else the parents (who previously had no clue what is going on) will suddenly be singing SUE SUE SUE!

Old 06-08-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
One of them will get hurt; hopefully not by a local homeowner driving to or from home or the parents who have no clue what is going on will suddenly be singing SUE SUE SUE!

That's exactly what would happen.

A friend of mine's family member barely tapped a Jewish kid in the neighborhood with her car when he was walking around town on Friday night (now do you see why I hate how the Orthodox wear all black at night and walk in the street???), the kid claimed his foot was shattered and that his life was over since he lived to play soccer and sued. Insurance took care of it, but the kid was obviously lying because she was not moving anywhere near that fast.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
That's exactly what would happen.

A friend of mine's family member barely tapped a Jewish kid in the neighborhood with her car when he was walking around town on Friday night (now do you see why I hate how the Orthodox wear all black at night and walk in the street???), the kid claimed his foot was shattered and that his life was over since he lived to play soccer and sued. Insurance took care of it, but the kid was obviously lying because she was not moving anywhere near that fast.
That helps explain why you feel as strongly as you do.

While I haven't experienced the OP's problem (yet) I have seen it -- like the church steps which terminate within 3' of the curb at a major intersection -- and it is only a matter of time before one of these kids is scraped off the front end of a car or a truck's tire.

I haven't seen the SCPD shoo the kids from the church, but then I haven't seen them at the same place at the same time. I wonder if a homeowner could call them in as loitering -- provided they don't live in the immediate vicinity? S/he appears to have attempted to ask them to stop what their doing yet they continue to congregate.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen the SCPD shoo the kids from the church, but then I haven't seen them at the same place at the same time..
Back when I was that age, if I saw a P.O. I'd go the other way

Old 06-15-2011, 02:10 PM

73 posts, read 292,491 times
Quote:

As a former skater, I know if there is a cool area to skate, it would take more than a couple cops telling me to move along to deter me from eventually coming back. Unless the cops make it a priority to hang out around that street, they won't be a good enough deterrent.
The only thing you can do is make the hill not appealing to skaters by having speed bumps/ vibration grooves installed and signs alerting motorist that it's there.

Xtreme sports are dangerous but that's why kids do it. That's why I did it. Try to have your kids use protective gear and use some common sense. They will always push the boundaries but if you set the boundaries low, when they pass them, it shouldn't be too bad.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:34 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,547 times
Problems like this are usually indicative of a community which neglects the needs of its younger members. In this case, a decent skatepark may be needed.

The American Ramp Co. is one of the more popular skatepark providers. They have a video on youtube.

My hometown has an annual freestyle competition in which they close off a downtown street and set-up a course. Boarders from throughout the county participate. The popularity of the event has led to several skateparks being installed throughout the county.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK7bqri9j9Q

Last edited by James1202; 06-15-2011 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: add youtube link

Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Problems like this are usually indicative of a community which neglects the needs of its younger members. In this case, a decent skatepark may be needed.

The American Ramp Co. is one of the more popular skatepark providers. They have a video on youtube.

My hometown has an annual freestyle competition in which they close off a downtown street and set-up a course. Boarders from throughout the county participate. The popularity of the event has led to several skateparks being installed throughout the county.

Something like that, located at West Meadow Beach or some available piece of public land in the area (not much) would be great. There is a skateboard park near my 2nd home which received a generous grant from the Tony Hawk foundation, as well as advice on how to set it up best of the users.

Something like that is a win-win for everyone.

Apply For a Grant « Skatepark Grants « Tony Hawk Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island