Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 21,304 times

Advertisements

Last Fall our quiet street started to be visited by young men on skateboards. These are not regular kids using their skateboards to go from point A to point B, but individuals in their late teens and early twenties hijacking the street as their personal training ground going down the hill innumerable times, speeding, sliding and jumping. The skateboards they use are called longboards or speedboards. This is a sport that is becoming more and more popular in hilly areas of Long Island. For months we have put up with them coming every week -some weeks every day- and flying down the hill occasionally in excess of the road speed limit. I worry about hitting them when coming in and out from the driveway, the possibility of them causing an accident as they could slide too far downhill into a heavier traffic road and about cars turning the corner and failing to see them. These kids make unbearable noises with their special gloves fitted with a hard disk which they scrape on the asphalt as they bend down and slide. They have a special name for this activity; it is called “bombing hills” and “shredding”. I was wondering if someone had any similar experience.

Last edited by phipps20; 06-07-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 09:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Ughhhhh. Not yet. What town are you in where this is happening? I was all set to call the town about the lousy condition my road is in -- not anymore.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 AM

9 posts, read 21,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Ughhhhh. Not yet. What town are you in where this is happening? I was all set to call the town about the lousy condition my road is in -- not anymore.

Three Village. I call the office of Suffolk County Legislator Vivian Viloria-Fisher and I asked about the legality of this activity. I was told there is nothing I could do because skateboards are considered self-propelled vehicles and they have a right to be on the road; so we have a tricky to control self-propelled vehicle allowed to circulate without brakes, in some cases above speed limits. If longboarding-or speedboarding- is a sport, since when do we allow dangerous sports to be practiced regulary on public residential roads? I think it needs to be regulated and these kids need a place to practice. I am not against the sport or these young men.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps20 View Post
Three Village. I call the office of Suffolk County Legislator Vivian Viloria-Fisher and I asked about the legality of this activity. I was told there is nothing I could do because skateboards are considered self-propelled vehicles and they have a right to be on the road; so we have a tricky to control self-propelled vehicle allowed to circulate without brakes, in some cases above speed limits. If longboarding-or speedboarding- is a sport, since when do we allow dangerous sports to be practiced regulary on public residential roads? I think it needs to be regulated and these kids need a place to practice. I am not against the sport or these young men.
Just like how we need to regulate kids playing basketball and hockey in the streets! Don't even start about playing "catch"!!!

The last thing we need is more government control telling us what we can do, where and when.

Have you tried to talk to them??

Old 06-08-2011, 06:04 AM

903 posts, read 3,581,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Just like how we need to regulate kids playing basketball and hockey in the streets! Don't even start about playing "catch"!!!

The last thing we need is more government control telling us what we can do, where and when.

Have you tried to talk to them??

I dont think what the op is talking about is the same thing-

Old 06-08-2011, 06:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
While I sympathize with kids just trying to have fun and not hurting anyone else, I also sympathize with people who buy a house not expecting to have constant noise and ending up with it. You and your neighbors should put your heads together to come up with something that makes your street a little too... "uncomfortable" for them to consider coming back. I've seen kids walking around with these longboards and I was wondering what the heck they are doing.

Considering most of them have the half cocked "I"m want everyone to know I'm a d***" hat style going, I'm thinking trying to reason with them isn't going to work.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,164,033 times
Throw some pea gravel in front of your house on the road. Problem solved.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,578,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Throw some pea gravel in front of your house on the road. Problem solved.
Or refuse to yield. Where I live there are kids that skateboard right down the middle of the street and some refuse to move to the side. After my first few times being patient I resorted to swerving around them without slowing - it freaked them out and now they know there's a real chance they might get clipped. I'm sort of the same way with cyclists.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:17 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Or refuse to yield. Where I live there are kids that skateboard right down the middle of the street and some refuse to move to the side. After my first few times being patient I resorted to swerving around them without slowing - it freaked them out and now they know there's a real chance they might get clipped. I'm sort of the same way with cyclists.
Or lean on your horn....I've done that with teens who won't get out of the road - the look on their faces is priceless...goes right from gangbanger stare to "OH MY EARS!"

Old 06-08-2011, 10:22 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
imo a potential manslaughter charge is not worth it.

my question stands: did the OP ever even talk to the kids, or is this just another passive aggressive request?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island