Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
There are 2 complexes on Artist Lake. On the east side the one is called Lake Pointe. I've taken the bus past this area many times and I dont see what everyone's problem with Middle Island is.
Medford has ongoing problems with illegal aliens streaming in from Patchogue and nearby Farmingville. I rarely see any hanging around in Middle Island, and I'm in that area almost every week hiking in the nearby Rocky point preserve.

Medford id not as bad as people say . I actually live here and I would say its better then areas of huntington (i work in huntington "village").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
IMO, the area of Middle Island along Middle country road is not that great...I lived there for a few years and from my view it has gotten a bit worse, even compared to 5 years ago....from Wading River-Hollow Rd all the way east until you reach 112 which is Coram isn't that great....a lot of abandoned/bankrupt businesses and abandoned strip malls. You also have Gordon Heights in that area which is not the greatest either.
That is also Longwood school district, which is sub-par.

As others mentioned, you may want to check out Blue Ridge in Medford.....it is a nicer area, and even though Patch-Med school district isn't great, I would say it is better than Longwood.
Longwood is an average district,while Patchogue Medford is below and far worse. The Blue ridge complex is nice but the area is not much nicer. There is really not much around,you have to travel away from the complex.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,802 times
Patchogue-Medford School District has a higher graduation rate than Longwood School District and P-M has been performing better than Longwood for quiet some time now. Here is a list of graduation rates of all of the Long Island School Districts; Graduation rate for LI school districts (this data is from 2009 and i went by 4 year graduation rates)

By the way: What makes people believe that Longwood SD is better than Patchogue-Medford SD?

(My interpretation of the Middle Island area is not bad, but something about the area, that I just can't put my finger on, gave me a feeling that it has seen better days.. but I haven't been there in 2-3 years so maybe it changed a bit? But I don't think of it as a bad area by any means.)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-06-2011 at 09:27 PM..

Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 PM

407 posts, read 828,636 times
I heard across from the Artist Lake community there is suppose to be a sports/fitness complex where that closed down kmart is. I have been living in the middle island area for 3 years, it's not the greatest. Def. not the safest. Let's hope it gets cleaned up real soon.

Also I'm a Longwood grad. Before Longwood I was in Eastport South Manor which is rated better then Longwood, yet I enjoyed Longwood so much more, students were friendlier and I had so much more opportunity. There is a group for everyone! In my opinion don't move to a school district based on what you heard. Before moving go down and see what opportunity is there for your chldren. And diversity isn't bad, Longwood is very diverse, but we have to learn to get along and work with everyone

Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Patchogue-Medford School District has a higher graduation rate than Longwood School District and P-M has been performing better than Longwood for quiet some time now. Here is a list of graduation rates of all of the Long Island School Districts; Graduation rate for LI school districts (this data is from 2009 and i went by 4 year graduation rates)

By the way: What makes people believe that Longwood SD is better than Patchogue-Medford SD?

(My interpretation of the Middle Island area is not bad, but something about the area, that I just can't put my finger on, gave me a feeling that it has seen better days.. but I haven't been there in 2-3 years so maybe it changed a bit? But I don't think of it as a bad area by any means.)
Most likely its the large undocumented community.I know a few teachers at Pat-Med (One who lives in Longwood) who describe the situation there as dire and hopeless.FWIW I know another who works in East Hampton who feels the same way his school.

I went to to PM as a kid and it was fine.I hope they get it back on track, the Village looks absolutely awesome(seemingly at the expense of Medford and E Pat). If the schools were cleaned up I think Patchogue could be on par with Babylon.

As for Longwood, its fine.Huge but fine, it just has some serious poverty around GH.

Crooks

Old 07-07-2011, 07:26 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I hope they get it back on track, the Village looks absolutely awesome(seemingly at the expense of Medford and E Pat). If the schools were cleaned up I think Patchogue could be on par with Babylon.Crooks
I agree that the village is coming along. But I really dont understand your comment about e.patch and medford getting worse at the villages expense. Medford hasnt changed in the last 10-15yrs. Its still an OK area. My kids graduated from the HS and did just fine, and are in college.I do agree that the HS has issues to deal with though.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I agree that the village is coming along. But I really dont understand your comment about e.patch and medford getting worse at the villages expense. Medford hasnt changed in the last 10-15yrs. Its still an OK area. My kids graduated from the HS and did just fine, and are in college.I do agree that the HS has issues to deal with though.
I'll take your word for it. It just seems like the mayor has done a sweep to the outskirts. Either way it's all Pat Med. I'm quietly rooting for the area.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,320 times
Default hmm

I live in blue ridge. The area around blue ridge is great. Its right on the same street as the cemetery and sachem east. Also on bicycle path you have brookhaven town hall . The amphitheater is in bicycle distance. It has country fair right there and next door on fairmount are those big mansion like houses. That is not bad area. Within 5 minutes maybe less you have sams club, and a target with grocery shopping. ON north ocean you have stop and shop and other things.

Where blue ridge is is not a bad area. I do not understand why people say it is a bad area. I guess people who do not live here?

Also 112 by blue ridge is going to be completely redone with sidewalks and everything. Go look up on brookhaven town halls website. Also They are working on redoing medford south of the lie to make it more likea village.

So Whats with all this its a bad area?

PS if it was a bad area we wouldnt have all the peopl;e my aage moving into the development (25 -35 years old). Heck I had 2 other couples bidding on my unit when i bought it.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:29 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzmanLI View Post
I heard across from the Artist Lake community there is suppose to be a sports/fitness complex where that closed down kmart is. I have been living in the middle island area for 3 years, it's not the greatest. Def. not the safest. Let's hope it gets cleaned up real soon.

Also I'm a Longwood grad. Before Longwood I was in Eastport South Manor which is rated better then Longwood, yet I enjoyed Longwood so much more, students were friendlier and I had so much more opportunity. There is a group for everyone! In my opinion don't move to a school district based on what you heard. Before moving go down and see what opportunity is there for your chldren. And diversity isn't bad, Longwood is very diverse, but we have to learn to get along and work with everyone
i heard target is moving in there from someone at walmart.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:01 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
I live in blue ridge. The area around blue ridge is great. Its right on the same street as the cemetery and sachem east. Also on bicycle path you have brookhaven town hall . The amphitheater is in bicycle distance. It has country fair right there and next door on fairmount are those big mansion like houses. That is not bad area. Within 5 minutes maybe less you have sams club, and a target with grocery shopping. ON north ocean you have stop and shop and other things.

Where blue ridge is is not a bad area. I do not understand why people say it is a bad area. I guess people who do not live here?

Also 112 by blue ridge is going to be completely redone with sidewalks and everything. Go look up on brookhaven town halls website. Also They are working on redoing medford south of the lie to make it more likea village.

So Whats with all this its a bad area?

PS if it was a bad area we wouldnt have all the peopl;e my aage moving into the development (25 -35 years old). Heck I had 2 other couples bidding on my unit when i bought it.
If you drove a shorter distance than to Sam's club,you'd be in Gordon Heights just by crossing 112 on Granny Rd. Also there is a large sex offender population right there. Personally I think Blue Ridge is a great complex, and my father used to live there for years but there is a reason that a ton of businesses closed on the west side of the road on route 112. Lots of shady parts over there, but you have to drive to get to any good businesses excluding the gas stations, the tiny shopping center with the italian restaurant and country fair.
P.S. 25-35 year olds buy into the area because they like the all inclusive type places (golf course, clubhouse,not having to mow a lawn or shovel a driveway), not because it is a top notch area. It's a nice complex surrounded by so so spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island