Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:13 PM

90 posts, read 218,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I think the growing Hispanic population is a trend that is being seen everywhere across our nation, especially in Texas, Florida, Arizona, Georgia, NC, and all those other states that unhappy Long Islanders are flocking to.

Hispanic is the new Italian.
I don't remember Italians creating ghetto's, graffiti, garbage, & neighborhood nuisance.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:57 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit495 View Post
I don't remember Italians creating ghetto's, graffiti, garbage, & neighborhood nuisance.
They do now , along the Jersey Shore and other areas of the NE.....

Old 07-08-2011, 08:23 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,816 times
Quote:
I found "go back to Ireland" painted on my fence in cannoli cream....

Old 07-08-2011, 09:11 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEconomist View Post
It's a sad state of affairs when welfare pays better than a manual labor job. I think we should reinstate one of those long forgotten traditions; debtor prison.
What exactly is welfare, NYE, and how much does it pay? I ask because many Americans seem to believe that there's a dole you can get on if you don't want to or can't find work. As far as I know, such a system hasn't existed since at least the Clinton administration. Temporary cash and food benefits are time limited per individual use and also have a rather restrictive time limit for how long they can be used in the entirety of a person's life.

At least we can always count on you dodging the issue, though. Our economy depends on illegal immigration, like it or not. As long as you're willing to pay more for things, have at the problem, but don't expect the dollar menu to last.
Quote:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_American#Stereotyping]How quickly people forget.[/quote] My grandparents didn't even teach their kids Italian out of fear of prejudice. I suppose some here would like to return to those times.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Percent of population Hispanic or Latino:
Nassau County - 12.1%
Suffolk County - 13%
Westchester County - 18.5%
Orange County - 15.4%
Kings County - 19.8%
New York County - 25.4%
Queens County - 26.5%
Bronx County - 51%

Top 5 states percent change in the Hispanic or Latino population 2000 -2006:
Arkansas + 60%
Georgia + 59.4%
South Carolina +57.4%
Tennessee + 55.5%
North Carolina + 54.9%

source
Hispanic Population of the United States (http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/hispanic/hispanic_pop_presentation.html - broken link)

Based on facts, I submit that this thread should be put out of it's misery.
Actually, the percentages on Long Island are slightly higher: According to the census, here are the actual (approximate) percentages: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Suffolk County: 16%
Nassau County: 15%
Westchester County: 22%
Orange County: 18%
Kings County: 20%
Queens County: 28%
Bronx County: 54%
New York County: 25%
Richmond County: 17%

But still, Long Island has the least Hispanics (percentage-wise) out of all of the downstate NY counties. NY's overall Hispanic population is 18%, which is still higher than LI's Hispanic population.

Quote:
Really? Go back to the late 1800s/early 1900s and you'll find that Italian immigrants often lived in inner-city slums, the way a lot (though I wouldn't say most) of Hispanic immigrants do today.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:50 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
An I'll bet you that Italians never make up 40% of the federal prison population.

Latinos make up 40 percent of federal prison population. - The Denver Post

Old 07-09-2011, 08:09 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,872 times
Quote:

Come here to the huntington area and you will see it. Its what happens when rich white kids have nothing to do.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
An I'll bet you that Italians never make up 40% of the federal prison population.

Latinos make up 40 percent of federal prison population. - The Denver Post
Half of them are there for immigration crimes. Oh no!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
What exactly is welfare, NYE, and how much does it pay? I ask because many Americans seem to believe that there's a dole you can get on if you don't want to or can't find work. As far as I know, such a system hasn't existed since at least the Clinton administration. Temporary cash and food benefits are time limited per individual use and also have a rather restrictive time limit for how long they can be used in the entirety of a person's life.

I was watching a news program while in Colorado last week. The general idea was that fewer unemployed people in the nation were actively looking for any work because they made more on unemployment, and having had their benefits extended, keeping them somewhat satiated. One party in the discussion suggested that the government was creating a problem by having more people become dependent on unemployment as opposed to taking jobs which they felt were 'beneath' them.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
The Glenn Beck of Long Island has some opinions on the topic

YouTube - ‪A PinePower rant: RACISM‬‏
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island