Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
as per wikapedia:

The illegal immigrant population of the United States in 2008 was estimated by the Center for Immigration Studies to be about 11 million people, down from 12.5 million people in 2007.[3] Other estimates range from 7 to 20 million.[4] According to a Pew Hispanic Center report, in 2005, 56% of illegal immigrants were from Mexico; 22% were from other Latin American countries, primarily from Central America;[5] 13% were from Asia; 6% were from Europe and Canada; and 3% were from Africa and the rest of the world.[5]

I think that they focus on the Hispanic population because 78 percent of all Illegal immigrants are Hispanic. That's why. Not because of Racism...not because of prejudice...not because I don't like burritos or Rosetta stone ( I actually do like burritos) (and I think Rosetta Stone is ok too) It's because they are the majority of Illegal Immigrants, When did the answers to obvious questions become racism...

Ok let's clear something up. There is the answer to the obvious question and racism. There is the people that make sensible arguments about finding ways to tax them if they are here or limit them some how and then you have the people that just spew stuff at the mouth. What I am saying is why does every conversation about immigration/illegal immigrants and Hispanics turn into something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 07:19 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Fair enough, but you have to couple that with other systemic changes since the poor and unemployed can't afford lettuce at $5 a head (not to mention everything on the McDonald's menu which is suddenly more expensive). Though, the agribusinesses may just outsource food production to someplace where they can still get away with paying dirt cheap wages. There's something to be said for having domestic control over food production, although that may be an antiquated notion. Illegals do pay a great deal in taxes, most of which they don't get back - with a phony SS number, they're paying FICA for social security and medicare that they're never going to collect. They pay sales taxes and other use taxes. Many pay property taxes, either directly or through their landlords. From what I've seen, illegals certainly are a net drain on the states although not a terribly dramatic one and I don't think you'd see as much benefit as you think by kicking them out.No argument there!
Extremely valid points.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:20 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
I say this again. I don't see the neighborhood kids willing to cut lawns or the unemployed working age men willing to work in the hot sun on farms or other manual jobs for just above minimum wadges. So explain to me what jobs are they taking?

Let's just say for once your landscaper (if you don't use one) your neighbor's decide to hire only documented legal workers and is forced to pay them $15-20 an hr as appose to $8-12 and hr.(high estimate) and they decide to raise the cost of cutting your lawn by $15 would you be ok paying the extra money?

Remember we as Americans love Wall-mart faster cheaper.

It's not just the outside landscaping/job type jobs. It's construction, Walmart & fast food. Now I'll admit that I can't be sure if they're illegals, since it's not polite to ask, but Spanish speaking people are all over which makes it difficult for others to find employment. In the past, high school kids had many of these jobs, and now they're having trouble (I know a few personally who can't find pt summer employment).

Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Ok let's clear something up. There is the answer to the obvious question and racism. There is the people that make sensible arguments about finding ways to tax them if they are here or limit them some how and then you have the people that just spew stuff at the mouth. What I am saying is why does every conversation about immigration/illegal immigrants and Hispanics turn into something else.
Where did it turn into something else? The people turning it into something else are the people calling other people racists, or inferring that any talk about illegal immigration by Hispanics is racist.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
It's not just the outside landscaping/job type jobs. It's construction, Walmart & fast food. Now I'll admit that I can't be sure if they're illegals, since it's not polite to ask, but Spanish speaking people are all over which makes it difficult for others to find employment. In the past, high school kids had many of these jobs, and now they're having trouble (I know a few personally who can't find pt summer employment).

20 years ago when you went to a fast food restaurant on LI, 90% of the employees were high school and college kids working part time.

Now you go to any fast food restaurant and the majority of the people working, at least during the day, are adult Latinos. I will not speculate and say that they are illegals pureily on intuition, as that would be prejudicial.

However, I know a guy who is a regional manager for one of the chains, and we talked about this a few years back at a function.

When the economy was good in the late 90's, it started getting hard to get kids to work in greasy grossy fast food places. At one time their corporate offices were very strict about peoples documents being up to snuff. If you didn't have all your paperwork, you didn't get hired.

After a few years of not being able to hire people, they simply started looking the other way at questionable/fake/lacking documents, and their hiring issues were solved.

Now, they could have solved their hiring issues by paying more than the local drug store did to attract people, but then their profits would go down or they'd have to raise prices, and fast food is always a big winner on Wall St so that's never happening. They basically looked the other way at the law being broken, just like the government has. So much for the "free" market. What, you want me to pay college kids $12 an hour to get them in here? No way man, I'm going to look the other way at the law being broken.

Now that there aren't as many summer jobs in less greasy fields, kids going to Taco Bell are less likely to get hired.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:12 AM

481 posts, read 1,060,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
20 years ago when you went to a fast food restaurant on LI, 90% of the employees were high school and college kids working part time.

Now you go to any fast food restaurant and the majority of the people working, at least during the day, are adult Latinos. I will not speculate and say that they are illegals pureily on intuition, as that would be prejudicial.

However, I know a guy who is a regional manager for one of the chains, and we talked about this a few years back at a function.

When the economy was good in the late 90's, it started getting hard to get kids to work in greasy grossy fast food places. At one time their corporate offices were very strict about peoples documents being up to snuff. If you didn't have all your paperwork, you didn't get hired.

After a few years of not being able to hire people, they simply started looking the other way at questionable/fake/lacking documents, and their hiring issues were solved.

Now, they could have solved their hiring issues by paying more than the local drug store did to attract people, but then their profits would go down or they'd have to raise prices, and fast food is always a big winner on Wall St so that's never happening. They basically looked the other way at the law being broken, just like the government has. So much for the "free" market. What, you want me to pay college kids $12 an hour to get them in here? No way man, I'm going to look the other way at the law being broken.

Now that there aren't as many summer jobs in less greasy fields, kids going to Taco Bell are less likely to get hired.

It's not only that - when I went to Wildwood, NJ afew years ago, it was all Polish people manning the stores & rides. They literally ship them in. When I was at Myrtle Beach there were all Russians. So, not only are jobs being outsources, they're also being insourced.
Is there really that much of a lack of college/high school kids who would do this work? At this point, I don't think so. I know kids looking for summer jobs who will take the minium wage (and they still can't find anything).

Old 07-14-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky101 View Post
It's not only that - when I went to Wildwood, NJ afew years ago, it was all Polish people manning the stores & rides. They literally ship them in. When I was at Myrtle Beach there were all Russians. So, not only are jobs being outsources, they're also being insourced.
Is there really that much of a lack of college/high school kids who would do this work? At this point, I don't think so. I know kids looking for summer jobs who will take the minium wage (and they still can't find anything).
I think there was a legitimate issue with the labor pool 10-15 years ago. They should have addressed it with an increase in LEGAL immigration from all areas of the world.

There isn't anymore. but companies are still hiring illegals.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit495 View Post
Good reason for Obama to visit Puerto Rico
Nobody from Puerto Rico is an illegal alien.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:04 PM

90 posts, read 218,291 times
Gee I wish I could read between the lines

Old 07-14-2011, 08:31 PM

244 posts, read 540,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think there was a legitimate issue with the labor pool 10-15 years ago. They should have addressed it with an increase in LEGAL immigration from all areas of the world.

There isn't anymore. but companies are still hiring illegals.
There is no "right and wrong", there is only "what can the corporation get away with, and how cheaply can it do it".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island