Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 AM

15 posts, read 39,749 times

Advertisements

I think Lindenhurst (in West Suffolk) would be a good fit. My husband and I just moved from Bayside Queens at the end of this past May. Every day that I am here I love the town more (AND I become more confused as to some of the criticism it gets). In any case and on a very positive note, we purchased our house for $251,000...a small home with 2 brs, but with a large yard and a screened in porch, not renovated but updated so completely move in condition. For not too much more, we could have had possibly a 3rd br or just additional living space. We are South of Sunrise, North of Montauk highway...about 3-4 blocks walking distance from the Lindenhurst LIRR...an hour trip to Penn Station but considering the time (especially in rush hour) to get into the city and then parking, etc. the hour trip is not bad at all. We are less than a mile away from our closest beach at Venetian Shores which is just a lovely place. I have found our town to be very family friendly, very down to earth working people who are always neighborly and so nice to speak with, the houses are always taken care...I also love that I see people walking in the evening, bike riding etc- a quiet pleasant town but with life and people enjoying their homes and their town. There are as many conveniences as you could ever want. We have 4 supermarkets within less than a mile, 7-11s, pet stores, local delis, pizza places and coffee shops, etc. The elementary schools are very good and have so many activities for children.

I am extremely happy with our choice and for our budget, we made a great choice! Even for a slightly higher budget, although it may have opened up other possibilities, I would still be happy with our choice. Good luck and any questions, please feel free to ask
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Check out West Babylon and Lindenhurst.

Great location, quick access to Rebublic, Babylon/Lindenhurst Village and the beaches. Best bang for the buck IMHO.
agreed!

Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
I wouldn't live in any district where I would have to pay school taxes and send my kids to private school. Personally if I were buying a house id try for the top upper half of the districts.

One of my co-workers lives in South Freeport with a beautiful house on the water. It kills him that he pays $12,000 taxes and has to send his daughters to catholic school.
i agee with this...i dont understand why one does this...i've looked at it a hundred ways and i dont get it if you have children of school age

Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
raiser..

Good info, thanks for all the help

I'm open to condo's, co-op's or small houses. I understand it could be hard to resell a condo if I decide to move on. I would probably just rent it out. The replies on here and talking to others has changed my search area some. I made an updated list and plan on sitting down with a real estate broker soon.

Cities Mins To FRG
Amityville Harbor 6
Baldwin Harbor 19
Bayside 36
Bellmore 12
East Medow 15
East Rockaway 25
Farmingdale 0
Forest Hills 40
Freeport s of Atlantic 18
Garden City 24
Glen Cove 29
Huntington 23
Long Beach 31
Manhasset 31
Merrick 15
Mineola 24
New Hyde Park 30
Oceanside 23
Plainview 13
Port Washington 36
Rockville Centre 21
Seaford 11
Wantagh 11
Westbury 19

Making Progress, would still like to get rid of a few more.. lol
Amityville Harbor 6 (for resale value, although SD doesnt matter to you, it wouldnt be one of my choices)
Baldwin Harbor 19 (same as above)
Bayside 36 (i know Bayside very well...lived here all my life...budget is really not doable at all...and commute could be double that number in traffic)
Bellmore 12 (this would be a choice for me...budget at 350K could be difficult but doable in todays market with a few houses coming up in the 200s that need total renovations)
East Medow 15- (this would be a choice for me but budget could be difficult but again, you could find something i believe)
East Rockaway 25- dont really know much about
Farmingdale 0- doable for budget, i cant speak too much on the town itself though
Forest Hills 40- too far i believe , 40 minutes is even pushing it without traffic.
Freeport s of Atlantic 18- no for Sd
Garden City 24- no for budget
Glen Cove 29- could work if you could find something within your budget that doesnt go over 350 with rehab costs. Glen cove could be tricky so i would check out the area first hand (as i would give the same advice for any town)...when searching online for house prices, many of the homes in your budget will be in an area that you might not consider safe or as safe as you would like it, at least)
Huntington 23- if you could afford it and if it goes to a good SD
Long Beach 31
Manhasset 31- will not work for budget
Merrick 15- i dont know enough about to comment
Mineola 24- for budget, i dont think it will work but if you could find something, this would work for all else
New Hyde Park 30- same as above comment about mineola
Oceanside 23- same as above comments about mineola
Plainview 13- mineola comment
Port Washington 36- will not work for budget...very rarely a house will come up in the high 200s though which needs a complete gut, not sure if that would go over the 350 though, i would think it would
Rockville Centre 21- same comment as mineola
Seaford 11- same comment as mineola
Wantagh 11- same comment as mineola...
Westbury 19- only EM sD and then budget is difficult but if not, it would be a choice

but as my above comment suggests in the earlier post, i would strongly suggest adding lindenhurst to the list (those which go to lindenhurst SD, also West Babylon (going to lindenhurst or W. babylon SD)...these would both work imo, for all of your criteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island