Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 05:30 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times

Advertisements

Every puppy for sale in a pet store comes from a puppy mill.Its a fact.Puppy mills are torture factories for animals.This law is great and I hope it will pass.There are ALOT of supporters.Especially people like myself who work in the animal rescue field,there are WAY too many homeless animals,NO reason to buy a dog from a store.I encourage people looking for certain breeds to go to a reputable breeder,theres no reason for people to go to pet stores for dogs.Most mill dogs have health and behavior problems.Shelters and rescues get purebred dogs all the time.Many dogs who are purebred in shelters(even new 'designer breeds') are from pet stores.Private rescues frequently do puppy mill rescue,they come back here with hundreds of small purebred dogs ranging from 8 weeks to 8 years.Theres NO reason to purchase a dog from these places,all you're doing is keeping the mill open.I wish they'd pass a mandatory spay neuter law.Obviously responsible breeders should be exempt from it,but they need to prove that they're legit breeders.I can't tell you how many backyard breeders I encounter everyday.There should be a mandatory spay neuter law for certain breeds because they are so overpopulated and unwanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:38 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,169 times

‪Puppy Mills and Pet Stores‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-24-2011, 07:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,971,473 times
No one is arguing that puppy mills are bad...

Old 07-24-2011, 08:10 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Never heard of people buying/selling dogs on Craigslist?? It happens more than you think.

Plus, if there's a market for it there will be suppliers. Plain and simple. If this law passed I bet all the legal dog stores will jack the prices up, pushing more people to want lower cost dogs, thus pushing backyard breeders and low-cost breeders to sell dogs to those who don't want premium prices.
So should we legalize murder since some people are going to kill others anyway? If the motivation is just, then it doesn't matter that some people will avoid the law, the net effect will be positive. If breeding dogs the proper way becomes more profitable, then more people will become dog breeders, alleviating the supply problem. See, your free market in action!

Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
So should we legalize murder since some people are going to kill others anyway? If the motivation is just, then it doesn't matter that some people will avoid the law, the net effect will be positive. If breeding dogs the proper way becomes more profitable, then more people will become dog breeders, alleviating the supply problem. See, your free market in action!
Murder isn't a product, murder is a service. Dogs are a product.

And yes, more people will become dog breeders, most likely ILLEGALLY. This is why you see craigslist postings such as:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/for/2510399614.html (broken link)
http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/for/2509477135.html (broken link)
http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/for/2508992024.html (broken link)

Old 07-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Murder isn't a product, murder is a service. Dogs are a product.
Murder is a service?

Living things with feelings are a product?

Well fine. But so what? We regulate the crap out of all sorts of products. We prohibit the importation of many more products for political or safety reasons.

In any event, your argument was that people will skirt this law and/or that prices will go up. It's irrelevant that people will skirt the law, and the market will take care of prices over time.

Not sure what those links are supposed to prove - someone moving and having to sell their pet is a breeder now? Far as I know it's still legal to sell your pet, or your pet's offspring.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Murder is a service?
Go to Walmart and buy some "Murder" for me, please. I heard it's on sale.

Quote:
Living things with feelings are a product?
No, the fact of the matter is, even though the dogs are living breathing animals, they are a product. Change "puppy" in the title to "t-shirt" and the title still makes sense.

Quote:
Well fine. But so what? We regulate the crap out of all sorts of products. We prohibit the importation of many more products for political or safety reasons.

In any event, your argument was that people will skirt this law and/or that prices will go up. It's irrelevant that people will skirt the law, and the market will take care of prices over time.

Not sure what those links are supposed to prove - someone moving and having to sell their pet is a breeder now? Far as I know it's still legal to sell your pet, or your pet's offspring.
Never heard of a fake story? Dogs are illegal to sell on Craigslist. My point is that with government regulation comes black markets and illegal trade. Simply waving the magic "Legislation Wand" and saying "Puppy sales are now banned from backyard breeders" (WHICH IS NOT THE CASE! The whole law is saying you can only buy puppies from breeders who paid their SC dues! It is not even an anti-mill bill, it is an anti-competition bill! You are seriously not telling me this is a money grab? It is to restrict sales to those who are registered (and paid for) with the SC government. It does not say you cannot sell dogs from puppy mills, it is just to make sure all breeders pay their fees!) doesn't mean it cures all the world's ills.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:52 AM

No one is claiming it will cure all the world's ills. It will reduce if not stop the demand for puppy mill puppies, thereby hurting those producers. I don't have a problem with the government making some ancillary cash in the process. The "free market" may be some sort of religion to you but I have no problem regulating it when needed.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:54 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,806,645 times
Quote:
Go to Walmart and buy some "Murder" for me, please. I heard it's on sale.

No, the fact of the matter is, even though the dogs are living breathing animals, they are a product. Change "puppy" in the title to "t-shirt" and the title still makes sense.

Never heard of a fake story? Dogs are illegal to sell on Craigslist. My point is that with government regulation comes black markets and illegal trade. Simply waving the magic "Legislation Wand" and saying "Puppy sales are now banned from backyard breeders" (WHICH IS NOT THE CASE! The whole law is saying you can only buy puppies from breeders who paid their SC dues! It is not even an anti-mill bill, it is an anti-competition bill! You are seriously not telling me this is a money grab? It is to restrict sales to those who are registered (and paid for) with the SC government. It does not say you cannot sell dogs from puppy mills, it is just to make sure all breeders pay their fees!) doesn't mean it cures all the world's ills.
the law will state they can sell dogs from breeders BUT breeders from SUFFOLK COUNTY.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
No one is claiming it will cure all the world's ills. It will reduce if not stop the demand for puppy mill puppies, thereby hurting those producers. I don't have a problem with the government making some ancillary cash in the process. The "free market" may be some sort of religion to you but I have no problem regulating it when needed.
How do you think this will stop puppy mills? They will move to another county to sell. Again, this is not a law restricting the sale of puppy mill puppies, it is a law to restrict the sale of puppies within Suffolk County to make sure that only those who paid for Suffolk County permits can sell. The article flatly says that it is to restrict to those bred within the county.

Again, it is not an anti-mill law. The law isn't even loosely written and being incorrectly interpreted... it is a law to only allow sales within the county books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
the law will state they can sell dogs from breeders BUT breeders from SUFFOLK COUNTY.
Yes........ that's my whole point -- it's a circle of money grabbing within the county. Poorly executed law. If you're going to go after mills, go after mills... don't simply restrict sales thinking the government knows what's best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island